helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

Help With Question

6 posts in this topic

I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, so I have a full set of Parkinsonian symptoms. I've recently noticed the onset of a problem, and I'm wondering if it is something true Parkinson folks have to deal with. My arms and hands do not have tremors as I understand the word tremor to mean. But I do have problems in controlling the movement of my fingers, hands, wrists and arms. It is like my brain won't make them function as I want them to function. This comes up in many situations like opening or closing doors, turning on light switches, typing, tying shoes, eating, and one and on. I can still do all those things, but it takes longer and it is very uncomfortably strange when I do them. Do these symptoms ring a bell for anyone. I just want to know. Thanks.

I have  some trouble with my left hand and fingers when I'm washing my hair.  They just do not want to help by moving in the appropriate manner.  I also have difficulty with the twisting of my wrists.  I've braided my hair every morning for the last 35 years.  On an off morning my left wrist takes a second to respond AFTER my brain tells it to do its job.  Sometimes now I just wear my hair in a bun.  I also am slower at folding clothes because of my wrists.  Turning the clothes right side out takes a little more effort.  Amazing the things that use to be thoughtless chores now need some thought to carry them out.

I could have written your post, Peace, except my problem is my right hand.  Odd, because my PD started on my left side, and I am predominantly left-handed.  The shampoo thing drives me crazy, as does the clothes folding thing.  I hate to see socks that need to be folded! ( I think I am being punished for my obsessive-compulsive tendencies)  At any rate, it is always good to feel validated, as I often think I am imagining these little irritations.  Thanks for that!  ^_^

1 person likes this

You're Welcome!   I use to be type "A", obsessive compulsive (still sneaks up on me sometimes) but I'm getting so much better.  When I first realized that I was less obsessive I wondered if it was the beginning of apathy setting in but I don't think so now.  I believe that PD has helped me put things in perspective so that I can allow the insignificant stuff to fade into the background. 

1 person likes this

Peace, well said. Not only do I now allow stuff to fade into the background, I seem to go out of my way to avoid evening hearing things in the first place. Things that seemed to matter so much to me for many years just don't seem important to me anymore, at least I don't want them to be important to me anymore. Sounds selfish I guess, but it takes all I can gather up to just stay engaged with life sometimes. Lewy Body Dementia or sometimes called Parkinson's Dementia is really difficult to deal with oftentimes. Just saying. Bill.

Yeah, I am very similar.  Just before I got treatment, I realized how hard I was concentrating when I couldn't answer my son's question or even process what he was saying when I was buttoning a top button on my shirt.   Then, he asked when the doctor was going to "fix" me when I was trying to help him tie his shoe, but was carefully and slowly trying because I had to focus so hard on it and try to get my hands to work. No tremors except occasional postural or stress on the hand. 

Sometimes, at a computer I will do something I didn't mean to, and I will try to correct myself and end up repeating it 2-3 times if I am not being too careful.  I am also getting pretty clumsy with picking things up, or putting them down, or holding an open drink while walking.