helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EllenRosen

Cannabis CBD Oil

18 posts in this topic

I was diagnosed three years ago.  Started Sinemet two years ago, 25/100 5xday.  I'm one of the small percentage of PWP who doesn't have external tremors.  But at the peak of wearing off period, the RLS is awful and extends to my arms as well.  Nighttime the worst.  Someone recommended cannabis CBD oil which I'd heard was helpful to those PD tremors.  I don't have that.  And don't have pain either although there's off and on cramping and aches during the day.  Does anyone have experience taking CBD oil?  Which symptoms does it help?  Side effects?  Dosage and hours?  Opinions and comments?  Appreciate it, thanks.

Edited by EllenRosen
mistake in fact
1 person likes this

Welcome, Ellen, to the forum.

Try a search  for cannabis or CBD oil on the forum.  It has been discussed at length with varying opinions and anecdotal summaries.

I have restlessness u speak of. I recently found the medical name for it and neuro says it is common.  It may be common, but difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced it.  I have found jets in a powerful therapy pool will provide temporary relief...at times adequate to allow sleep. Also, a yoga rubber roll helps provide pressure points to nerves...especially tail bone which then releases the chaos in legs.

Good luck to you.

NN

I havent found tremor relief with CBD, but it does ease my minor dyskenesias and really helps with rigidity/cramping.  I find it a good sleep aid as well. 

I tried CBD oil and couldn't see any benefit at all.  A marijuana tincture relieves my tremor, urinary frequency/urgency, sleep problems, fatigue and more.

8 minutes ago, PatriotM said:

I tried CBD oil and couldn't see any benefit at all.  A marijuana tincture relieves my tremor, urinary frequency/urgency, sleep problems, fatigue and more.

Was your CBD oil hemp based?  It is my understanding that hemp based CBD oil is the only legal form across the country.  I've also been told that hemp based CBD oil is not strong enough for PWP.

Yes, it was hemp based and didn't do anything that I could discern.

The downside of medical marijuana is that it is not legal everywhere.  Therefore, if you use it as a primary treatment for PD, you are limited where you can go, or have to go without your medicine, or are risking criminal penalties.  It's beyond ridiculous!!!

I can legally take Mirapex which causes severe fatigue, hallucinations and more (very dangerous for driving).  I could legally take Amantadine which also has nasty side effects.  I could legally take a prescription narcotic for pain.  However, in many places you can't take medical marijuana which, as far as I can tell, has absolutely no side effects and is very effective.  RIDICULOUS!

2 people like this

Hi, I live in California where medical cannabis is legal. I started experimenting with different strains after seeing the movie, "Ride with Larry". It's a documentary.

I really liked the movie and it was very inspiring. His symptoms completely disappeared with a strain, CBD Rose. You can watch it on Amazon. I have found some eatables that help quite a bit with sleeping. My tremors on in my right leg, arm and hand. I can't get the CBD Rose because it's not grown in CA so I'm trying other similar strains but haven't found anything that has stopped the tremors. It has helped with my anxiety! I have a friend who said she would grow some CBD Rose for me. :-)

I actually bought some very good (kush) pot from a friend of mine, but I didn't notice any relief from any PD symptoms. In fact, I just didn't enjoy the "high" from it either. All in all, it was kind of a waste of money, in MY opinion. Results may vary....

I dont really enjoy the high either but have felt the effects in certain parts of my body which does feel soothing and beneficial. I think the strain of cannabis is important.

CBD from the non THC hemp plant is useless. CBD from the actual marijuana plant is the desirable oil. They are both called hemp. The CBD from the marijuana plant is taken from the flower, where in the non THC hemp the oil is taken from processing the whole plant. I believe that is correct.

I use CBD Oil....I'm in Canada where it's legal for most part...here is my reply when I questioned my Cannabis farm.

Is the Equivalency Factor based on how much cannabis was used to make the cannabis oil?

No, not necessarily. As part of the licensing process, Health Canada requires that every Licensed Producer create a way to equate dried cannabis (prescribed in grams by Physicians) to cannabis oil (sold in milliliters). This makes it easier for Physicians to continue to prescribe cannabis in grams per day, and for us to be able to sell cannabis oils to our clients. Our goal was to propose a method of calculation to Health Canada that would maximize the amount of Cannabis Oil our clients were able to buy.

We actually have the highest equivalency factor in Canada at the moment (1 g = 12.5 mL for CANNA OIL 20|0). Other LPs have an equivalency factor of 1 g= 3-10 mL for products of similar potency and size. This means that their clients can order less oil, because it takes more away from their 30-day ordering window.

Let’s take a look at our recently released lot of CANNA OIL 20|0. It contains approximately 20 mg THC for every mL of oil (fully decarboxylated). So, in a 50 mL bottle, this amounts to approximately 1000 mg of THC (20 mg/mL x 50 mL = 1000 mg THC). 

Now let’s compare to an “average” concentration of THC in some of the cannabis flowers that we use to make our oil (we’re using whole numbers to make it easy to follow). For the sake of argument, let's say that we use flowers with a potency of 10% THC (on a fully decarboxylated basis). This means that each gram of cannabis flowers contains 100 mg THC (1 gram = 1000 mg, 1000 mg x 0.1 = 100 mg). Theoretically we would have to use 10 grams of flowers to equal 1000 mg of THC (which is what we have in our 50 mL bottles). But this process is not 100% efficient (nothing ever is!). So we have to account for extraction efficiency during cannabis resin production, plus losses from decarboxylation, dilution, and packaging.

It actually turns out that we need to use at least 15-20 grams of flowers to make one bottle of cannabis oil.

Edited by Discovery
1 person likes this

Since we are on this subject how does a tincture compare to oil? Do they make oil and tinctures with specific mmj straines in mind? Do they make sativa and indica oils and tinctures?

Thanks

I found this information and thought it useful. I'm not promoting their products but this site has some information.

www.synergycbd.com/tincture

On 06/05/2017 at 8:37 AM, jsaltsgaver said:

Was your CBD oil hemp based?  It is my understanding that hemp based CBD oil is the only legal form across the country.  I've also been told that hemp based CBD oil is not strong enough for PWP.

I have to vape ALOT of hemp based CBD oil to gain any benefit for PD symptoms.  Dropping it under the tounge does nothing for me.

Our state has legalized low-thc CBD oil for a handful of conditions.  Haven't tried the MJ based CBD oil yet. 

Just realized this is post 420 for me.   LOL.

Edited by afroney

I use CBD cannabis (Live in CO where it is legal). When I travel I use HEMP CBD. I find both help with tremor and restless feelings. I just need to take more of the Hemp than the cannabis. 

I also smoke now regularly (Indica, usually using a vape).

SO ironic to me as I never even tried MJ as a kid.

It helps so much. 

1 person likes this

I have been reading so much about CBD oil. Mostly good. I want to try it for my Dyskinesia and cramping. I don't have tremors. There are so many choices out there. Not sure whats the best kind for PD and where is the best place to purchase it. Anybody got some suggestions?

I have used CBD oil drops (without THC) successfully for my dyskinesia. Although marijuana is legal in my state, I do not like the effects of THC.

Dianne

IMHO and from personal experience there is benefit from THC. I know the high is an issue for some but after all we are using it as medicine. To me its like taking half the mdicine when THC is left out. The only reason THC is left out is because of the antiquated legal and cultural symbolism.

Ignorance and inexperience is keeping this valuable medicine from those that need it most.