helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Dancing Bear

Bible Verses....

This is a great topic/thread!  Thanks for the great posts!

A couple of my favorite verses:   Isaiah 26:3-4     You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.  Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

To help me keep my mind on God there are time it's important for me to read through and pray the 18 attributes of God defined by A.W. Tozer.   Here's a web link to them:  https://www.allaboutgod.com/attributes-of-god.htm                             If I can stay focused on the REALITY of our great God, and his promises through Christ joy is possible.

Another great source of encouragement is to listen to worship music on Youtube as much as possible.  I"ve "saved" something like 200 songs in a list that normally begins my every day.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 9:59 PM, smalltownguy said:

This is a great topic/thread!  Thanks for the great posts!

A couple of my favorite verses:   Isaiah 26:3-4     You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.  Trust in the Lord forever, for the Lord God is an everlasting rock.

To help me keep my mind on God there are time it's important for me to read through and pray the 18 attributes of God defined by A.W. Tozer.   Here's a web link to them:  https://www.allaboutgod.com/attributes-of-god.htm                             If I can stay focused on the REALITY of our great God, and his promises through Christ joy is possible.

Another great source of encouragement is to listen to worship music on Youtube as much as possible.  I"ve "saved" something like 200 songs in a list that normally begins my every day.

Hi, smalltown.  We're always so glad to hear that the posts have been helpful to those visiting our thread.  Thank you for letting us know, and we hope you'll continue to contribute and participate!  

I can especially relate and understand your point of how very helpful it is to keep focused on the reality of the Lord and of His promises to us and how instantly calming that is when stressed out.  Every day, many times during the day, it's something I think about and lean on when I've accomplished only one or two things on my long list for the day. And great idea to start your days with worship music, too.

It's also nice to see you've contributed something by Tozer.  I look forward to reading what you've shared, and I know it will be good, and helpful.

May the Lord bless you and continue to provide so many things that are helpful to you and that show His love and concern for you.  I'd love to hear more of your walk with Christ.

A sister in Him,

Linda

Edited by Linda Garren
Brain hiccups and shaky finger mistakes.

Today's Turning Point with Dr. David Jeremiah

Tuesday, February 13

Recommended Reading: 2 Chronicles 16:9

Depending on who is watching, surveillance can seem threatening and invasive. But such “all-seeingness” is not new. God has been all-seeing, all-knowing, and all-hearing from the beginning (Genesis 16:13; Psalm 139:1-12; Matthew 12:36). How else would Jesus Christ have been able to send specific messages to the seven churches in Asia Minor about their practices and character (Revelation 2-3)? Those letters were very specific. Such letters can be a warning to us if our behavior parallels theirs, or a comfort in terms of Christ being aware of the price we may pay for serving Him. In either case, we should never doubt God’s awareness of the details of our lives.

Live today as an open book before the Lord—a life you are happy for Him to see and bless.

The heart is deceitful…It would deceive [God]—if He were not omniscient.

William S. Plumer

• Like 1

4be6a656-8f74-43bc-9c3b-3d01694d2ed6.png
831cc78e-6e0a-4188-8ce1-3223fffb14c4.jpg

outline-color-facebook-48.png
“If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” —African proverb

Daily Message

The life of faith in Christ is both individual and corporate. Each person has a decision to make about accepting God’s love through his redeeming Son. No one can make that decision but the individual.

Yet the body of Christ is made up of God’s children, those who have responded to God’s love by loving God in return. The blessing of the body of Christ is that we do not have to take this journey alone. We have each other. You are as important as anyone else. Poor or rich, lonely or popular, flip-flops or Louboutins. It makes no difference. You have dignity and honor because God has put his mark on you.

The people of God need you. You need the people of God. And for the body of Christ together, all things are possible through Christ who strengthens us on this incredible journey.

What Does Love Do? Love Forgives!

February 24, 2018

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32

February 24, 2018

And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32

Sometimes parents face the awkward dilemma of being caught in an act of hypocrisy. The parent corrects a child’s use of language or behavior and the child responds, “Well, you do that!” The parent is then tempted to say, “Do as I say, not as I do!” There may be times when adult and child behavior can diverge, but not often. When it comes to modeling behavior, actions always speak louder than words.

Character of the New Man

When it came to forgiveness, the apostle Paul gave the church at Ephesus both a command and an example to follow: Forgive each other, just as God in Christ forgave you. It is never a case of God saying to us, “Do as I say, not as I do.” What God expects of us is no more than what He Himself has done. We are forgiven completely and unconditionally by God through faith in Jesus Christ. That forgiveness is the model for how our love for others should be expressed by forgiveness.

If you are called to forgive someone today, ask yourself not what Jesus would do, but consider what God has already done and do likewise.

Nothing causes us to so nearly resemble God as the forgiveness of injuries.
John Chrysostom

Edited by Linda Garren

Yes, a good topic for one must understand that God knows, God comforts, and God works all things after the council of his own will.  A quick outline on suffering:

I.  The Purpose of your suffering.

Folks wonder why they became afflicted with such a miserable disease?

A.         You become afflicted so you might learn how to comfort others by first being comforted yourself.

2 Cor. 1: 3, 4 - Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

B.         Your affliction is part of God's will for your life:

Eph. 1:11 - In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:

I Thess. 5:18 - In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you

II.         The Plan for Enduring suffering

Get your focus right.

1. Focus on God!

Isa. 26:3 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect2 peace, whose mind3 is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Col. 3:1, 2 - If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.

B.  Focus on others

2 Cor. 1: 3, 4 - Blessed be God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort; Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God.

Phil. 2:4 - Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others

C. Focus on things that will edify

Phil. 4:8 - Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest,1 whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

D.  Focus on prayer

Phil. 4:, 7 - Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

III.       The Peace of God is the result

Isa. 26:3 - Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

Matt. 11:28 - Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Below are some other verses that I am trying to internalize into my life.

II Cor. 4:17, 8 - for our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Rom. 8:28 - And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Phil. 4:19 - But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.

God bless!

Avbunyan, thanks for the reminder of the value of suffering from a Biblical perspective.  If we are to be Christ like in the world, then Christ provided the perfect example in suffering for the sins of all mankind in all generations.   In today's world we are reminded by the news media that there are Christians around the globe that suffer greatly for their faith, even to death.  Our circumstances in this country are not so harsh in life and death persecution for one's faith but will it remain that way in the decades ahead?    

Separate Topic..

Museum of the Bible in Washington DC.  Have you heard of it?  It will be on the agenda for my next DC visit.  Check it out at museumoftheBible.org

Have a great Lord's Day!

DB, that is quite a find about the Bible museum.  I've never heard of it, and I live not far from DC.  What a monumental project it is!  I especially want to visit the stage with all of the incredible things that enable a person to feel like they are in each scene.  Sounds very similar to "Sight and Sound" in Pennsylvania that I've heard about over the years.

4 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

DB, that is quite a find about the Bible museum.  I've never heard of it, and I live not far from DC.  What a monumental project it is!  I especially want to visit the stage with all of the incredible things that enable a person to feel like they are in each scene.  Sounds very similar to "Sight and Sound" in Pennsylvania that I've heard about over the years.

Sight & sound is fabulous!

LAD

This is a little long, but an excellent read.  Based on II Timothy 3:2-4,7.

Controversy swirls around last week's tragic shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida. As is to be expected, the information being revealed about the shootings is sketchy and often contradictory. Arriving at the truth about these events is usually a tortured process. The final story is seldom what it appears at first to be.

Two things are clear to me, though. The first is that certain factions appear to have been poised and ready to strike a blow at the Second Amendment at the first opportunity. As Rahm Emmanuel said -- and Hillary Clinton confirmed -- one should never let a good crisis go to waste!

The second is that, contrary to what the four students we are seeing across the mainstream media may think, guns alone are not the problem. It is simplistic to think that and will be disastrous to continue to believe it.

Our problems run much, much deeper than guns. America is in a moral free fall. We are at a cultural crossroads and if we choose the simplistic path, we will be doomed to collapse. Sooner, perhaps, rather than later.

In 1962, there were few laws governing the ownership and use of guns. In 1962, there were no school shootings.

In fact, in the entire 20th century, there were 227 school shootings. In the first 18 years of the 21st century, there have been 207! And that alarming number despite the fact that we have an ever-increasing number of ever-increasingly restrictive gun laws.

Now, I'm no rocket scientist, but it seems to me that if school shootings have gone through the roof AFTER we started tightening our gun laws and even creating "gun-free zones" (schools and entire cities), then there is either no relation between the two or the restrictive laws are contributing to the increase in violence.

Why is it that in the "old days," young men carried rifles to school in the gun racks of their pickups, and some schools even taught shooting classes and competed against each other in shooting competitions, yet we would go entire years with no school shooting incidents?

Simply because guns don't cause violence. Humans do. And until we realize that we humans are the culprits, we are going to see more incidents as tragic as Parkland, or more so.

The Apostle Paul warned that in the last days, people would be "without self-control, brutal, haters of good...." (2 Timothy 3:3 NASB)

Is that not a perfect description of what we saw last week in Parkland? Or Las Vegas? Or Sutherland Springs? Or San Bernardino? Or Orlando? Or South Carolina? Or Aurora? Or Newtown? Or Columbine? Or... and the list goes on. Unimaginable brutality.

Experts who are much smarter and better informed than I have warned for years that we are raising a generation of "avid video game players who turned their sick fantasy into our tragic reality."  And, "From a military and law enforcement perspective, violent video games are 'murder simulators' that train kids to kill." (Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, US Army, Ret.)

Obviously, video games alone have not bred this climate of violent brutality. Movies, television, the music industry, academia, social media, the breakdown of the family, and more have all contributed to the moral depravity that has engendered such self centeredness, lack of self control, and brutality.

But I believe the most critical contributor to this onslaught of violence, brutalness, and terror that now grips our schools and our lives is the fact that America has turned its back on God. When our nation made the decision to begin systematically erasing God and His influence from our national psyche, beginning with our schools, we started down a road that has grown ever darker and more treacherous with each passing day.

It's like a man who stops eating nutritious foods and taking vitamins, then wonders why he is getting weaker and experiencing greater health problems. What did we think would happen when we decided to cut ourselves off from the very life stream that has brought America so much blessing, so much abundance, and so much freedom and safety?

In 1962, the US Supreme Court decided that it was no longer constitutionally acceptable to have institutional prayer in our public schools. Of course, that didn't necessarily stop everyone from praying at school. Ronald Reagan observed at the time that "as long as there are final exams, there will be prayers in school." But when we proclaimed as a matter of national policy that God and our acknowledgment of Him and His positive influence in our lives was no longer important or acceptable, we did something dangerous. We closed the door to God and opened the door to Satan.

It's not that America chose Satan over God, we didn't. But we told God that we didn't need Him, that we could handle our lives and our futures by ourselves. We didn't need His influence in our lives, but, most importantly, in the lives of our children. We -- through our teachers and professors -- were quite capable of raising good kids without Him.

Now, just two generations later, America is on the brink of becoming a third-world nation filled with violence, tribal conflict, poverty, and exploding danger. And I believe it's largely because we have raised 57 years of children who think God and His principles are not at all important. And why do they think that? Because we taught them exactly that when we kicked God and His influence out of public education -- the very place He is most needed!

The prophet Hosea could have easily been describing modern America when he wrote: "For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind; it hath no stalk; the bud shall yield no meal: if so be it yield, the strangers shall swallow it up." (Hosea 8:7 KJV)

We have walked away from God and chosen to trust our own intelligence and abilities. The anemic seed we have sown is now yielding crops we never anticipated or desired: anger, despair, selfishness, hatred, lasciviousness, violence, sheer brutality, and so much more. Doesn't that sound eerily like the description Paul gave for these times? "...men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God... always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth." (2 Timothy 3:2-4, 7 NASB)

This week, Michael, my son in the Lord, sent me a photograph of a t-shirt. It was emblazoned with a powerful truth. It read: "Dear God, why do you allow so much violence in our schools? Signed, a concerned student."

Below that was written the reply: "Dear concerned student, I'm not allowed in schools. Signed, God."

Folks, I'm not saying that one disastrous Supreme Court decision in 1962 caused all of the mayhem that has followed, but it is indicative of the path America chose. It shows that, as a nation, we determined that God was unimportant to us. And when you walk away from God, you must walk toward something, or someone, else. As Bob Dylan once sang, "You gotta serve somebody...."

On a personal note, I am, at once, saddened and joyful at the passing of our brother, Billy Graham. I believe he was the greatest influence for the Kingdom of God of our time. Truly, only eternity will reveal the impact he had on our world. His influence will always be felt, but his presence will be missed.

I smile when I read what Billy once said. Echoing D.L Moody, one of his heroes, Billy said, "Some day you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don't you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God."

What encouragement for those of us who remain here. We, too, will soon change addresses. What a great day that will be.

So long, Billy. See you soon.

HL Ministries--2/23/18

• Like 1

David Brooks also wrote/spoke about the topic above:  In his book The Road to Character, David Brooks argues that “sin” has lost its power and intensity in today’s culture because of three reasons: we left behind the depraved view of human nature, ‘sin’ was incorrectly used to declare war on pleasure, and because it was abused by the self-righteous. Brooks adamantly believes we need the word “sin” back in our jargon because it is communal in nature and reminds us that life is a moral affair. Sin does more than describe a desert, but rather accentuates that we are moral beings that belong to communities. John Owen is right: “Be killing sin or it will be killing you.” (Gal. 5:16)

TODAY'S TURNING POINT WITH DR. DAVID JEREMIAH

Tuesday, March 6

Faulty Wiring

Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart.

Luke 18:1

Bryan Chapell received a call from a family asking him to pray about a house they wanted. It was perfect for them, and Chapell prayed with them over the phone. But the realtor called with bad news. Someone else had offered a higher price. The couple lost heart and wondered why God hadn’t answered their prayers. But later the building inspector found the house full of dangerous mold and faulty wiring. Another house became available that provided for the family, and a lesson was learned. As Chapell put it: “Persistent prayer in the face of initial disappointment can become the instrument of divine nurture.”

Recommended Reading: Luke 18:1-8

Problems present opportunities that demand decision. Where do we turn for counsel to make good decisions? Turn to God! When we pray about the situations that concern us, we’re opening them to His providence, and He will guide those who pray and don’t lose heart.

We grow to trust God more by seeing that often he prepares something better than our initial prayers did (or could) request. In fact God’s greatest gifts may come through prayers that seem to be unanswered.

Bryan Chapell

Thursday, March 8

No Secrets

But immediately, when Jesus perceived in His spirit that they reasoned thus within themselves, He said to them, “Why do you reason about these things in your hearts?”

Mark 2:8

When children are very small, they develop a predictable short list of answers to some of their parents’ routine questions: “Did you eat the cookies?” “No.” “Will you go and pick up your toys?” “I’m too tired.” “Please come and help me set the table for supper.” “Okay—in just a minute.” Parents understand these responses because they are childish versions of their own (occasional) responses to their own responsibilities.

Recommended Reading: Psalm 44:21

Sanctification involves learning to think and act honestly and righteously before God. And one of the primary motivations for righteous acts and thoughts is that God knows what we think, and what we think about doing, all the time. We have no secrets before God. When a group of men brought their friend to be healed by Jesus, a group of Pharisees took exception—silently—to Jesus’ compassion on the man. Jesus called them out on their self-centered and non-compassionate thoughts (Mark 2:1-12).

Jesus knows the human heart like parents know their child’s heart. Rather than be “called out,” far better to have thoughts we are willing for God and man to know.

When anger was in Cain’s heart, murder was not far off.

Matthew Henry

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

Four Burning Questions—For What Will It Profit a Man…

March 10, 2018

For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?
Mark 8:36

Two brothers in Wichita, Kansas, won the lottery, netting $75,000. They celebrated by purchasing narcotics. While using a butane lighter with their drugs, the vapors reached the pilot light of their furnace, causing an explosion that destroyed their house. One of the brothers was rushed to the hospital, and the other to jail. In the literal flash of a moment, the luckiest moment of their lives became a nightmare.

Recommended Reading: Mark 8:34-38

Millions of people feel they have won life’s lottery. They’ve accumulated homes and clothes and vehicles and sufficient financial reserves to pay their bills and ensure their futures. Some have become rich.

But sooner or later, it will all disappear in the flash of a moment, for without Christ there’s no hope of eternal wealth or everlasting life. The Lord provides for the needs of His children, and He gives us the wisdom to be wise stewards over what He entrusts to us. Our long-term well-being is found exclusively in God’s mercy toward us in Christ Jesus, which is why in all things He must be preeminent.

When I put God first, God takes care of me and energizes me to do what really needs to be done.
David Jeremiah

http://www.davidjeremiah.org/site/magazine/daily_devotional.aspx?display=devoprod&tid=email_edevo-wknd-0310&_zs=tPmw91&_zl=JuhL4

• Like 1

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/971-biblical-concept-of-atonement-the

THE BIBLICAL CONCEPT OF ATONEMENT

The English word “atonement” derives from an Anglo-Saxon term which, practically speaking, signifies “a making at one.” Though the English term “atonement” is common to the Old Testament, it is found only once in the New Testament (Romans 5:11 KJV). There the original term katallage is better rendered “reconciliation” (ASV; cf. also 2 Corinthians 5:19). The Greek word denotes the “reestablishment of an interrupted or broken relationship” (F.W. Danker, et al. 2000. Greek-English Lexicon. Chicago: University of Chicago. 521).

In the biblical context, atonement has to do with the plan employed by the Lord to provide a way of salvation for sinful humanity by means of the redemptive mission of Christ. Here are the basic facts.

(1) God is a perfectly holy Being (Isaiah 6:3; Revelation 4:8); sin, therefore, is contrary to his very nature (James 1:13). As a truly holy Being, the Lord cannot ignore sin, or tolerate wickedness indefinitely, in any form (Habakkuk 1:13).

(2) Jehovah is also a God of justice. It is the very foundation of his rule (Psalm 89:14). Accordingly, some satisfaction for sin must be made. The principle is this: “The wages of sin is death” (Romans 6:23).

(3) If, therefore, man was to be redeemed, God would have to extend mercy (cf. Ephesians 2:4) in some fashion whereby divine justice could be satisfied. Exactly how was that to be achieved? A “death” would be required to remedy the problem (Hebrews 9:22).

(4) The solution is realized in the gift of Christ. Jesus lived the sinless life (John 8:29; Hebrews 4:15; 1 Peter 2:22), and therefore became qualified to function as a substitute offering on man’s behalf (cf. Hebrews 5:8-9).

Through Jesus’ death, Heaven’s requirement of justice is satisfied (see Isaiah 53:11; Romans 3:22ff). Hence, the atoning offering of the Son of God became available to all men (Isaiah 53:6; John 3:16; 1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9

(5) Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who obey him (John 3:36; Romans 6:17-18; Hebrews 5:8-9). One is reconciled to God when he, through obedience, accepts Christ as his “atonement” offering.

SCRIPTURE REFERENCES
Romans 5:11; 1 Corinthians 5:13; Isaiah 6:3; Revelation 4:8; James 1:13; Habakkuk 1:13; Psalm 89:14; Romans 6:23; Ephesians 2:4; Hebrews 9:22; John 8:29; Hebrews 4:15; 1 Peter 2:22; Hebrews 5:8-9; Isaiah 53:11; Romans 3:22; Isaiah 53:6; John 3:16; 1 Timothy 2:4; 2 Peter 3:9; John 3:36; Romans 6:17-18
CITE THIS ARTICLE
Jackson, Wayne. "The Biblical Concept of Atonement." ChristianCourier.com. Access date: March 10, 2018. https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/971-biblical-concept-of-atonement-the
  • Like 1

Hi, DB.  Thank you for your post, which clearly explains what we learn through the Bible of why it is necessary and how someone becomes a Christian.

I had a hard time understanding the concept of Christ dying for us (even early on in Bible college).  I think what made it clearest to me is in reference to #1, above.  I heard that God is so holy that anything sinful cannot be in His presence. For  some reason, that made it clear to me.  It's interesting how some of the simplest things can be made clear by just a certain turn of phrase. 

I turned to Christ as a young girl through a Christian Bible Camp ministry here in Maryland.  I've always been amazed when looking back and seeing all of the influences the Lord brought into my life to draw me to him.  My little 7-year-old neighborhood friend and my dad were very early-on influences.  A Christian friend of my aunt offered to send me to the camp.  I remember in my older years at the camp asking why prayer is said to God and to Jesus, but I was perplexed when someone prayed to the Lord.  I asked who the Lord is.  :-)  A friend explained that that covers all three--God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.  We laughed together at the way she explained it.  Such simple things that I didn't know and more things I am still learning as I go along.  It never gets boring.  :-)

I remember how grateful I was to learn of the Lord's love for each and every one of us and how He longs for us to love Him.  His desire is that everyone would come to Him.  "No greater love hath a man than to lay down his life for a friend."  Jesus said that, and He did just that, out of love for us.  He took our sins upon Himself and suffered the punishment for them.  For us.  And all He asks is that we come to Him--into His loving arms--asking His forgiveness for our sins and committing to following Him. 

I'd love to hear from others about their coming to Christ.  I find it so interesting as to what pulled/lead them to believing in and determining to follow Him.

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

Linda,

Thanks for asking how we came to know Christ. My first exposure to the gospel message was at age 7 from an invitation to a revival at a neighbor's church. It wasn't until age 20, a sophmore in college that I made the commitment. The Bible gave structure to my life because it made so much sense. I spent a lot of time memorizing scriptures in the NT and the wisdom literature, Proverbs Ecclesiastes etc. Everyday I continue to learn something new.

Fred

TURNING POINT with Dr. David Jeremiah--March 18

Peace, Be Still!

Then [Jesus] arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Peace, be still!” And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.

Mark 4:39

In ancient literature, water often represents chaos. In Genesis 1:1, water covered the formless, empty, dark earth. God used a flood of waters to judge the earth in Noah’s day. In Exodus, the Red Sea threatened to destroy the escaping Hebrew slaves. And during the ministry of Jesus, storms on the Sea of Galilee threatened the well-being of His disciples. In each case, God brought order out of chaos; God was bigger and more powerful than the disorder.

Recommended Reading: Psalm 89:8-9

There is a lesson there: Whenever chaos or danger appears imminent, our concern is not how big the problem seems but whether God is with us or not. The disciples learned this lesson when a storm threatened to take their lives on the Sea of Galilee. Jesus commanded the storm (the chaos) to be still and peace was restored (Mark 4:35-41). They learned that having Jesus with them was more important than the storm that was against them.

If chaos is threatening your peace, let Jesus be your ark of safety in the storm. He can bring peace in any storm.

Jesus Christ is no security against life’s storms, but He is perfect security in life’s storms.

Wendell Loveless

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 1

TURNING POINT with Dr. David Jeremiah 

Thursday, March 22

Begin With God

But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness.

Matthew 6:33

There are many vocations focused on problem solving: consultants, psychologists, psychiatrists, counselors, practitioners, advisors, life-coaches, mentors, and more. Some may be biblically focused, but most use secular approaches to solving problems.

Recommended Reading: Colossians 2:2-3

Because Christians live in the world, it is hard not to be influenced by how the world approaches life—which is generally, not from a biblical perspective. We have to constantly remember that no one knows as much about our life, our circumstances, and the solutions we need than God. While we may end up getting helpful advice from a “consultant” of some sort, our first counselor should be God: Lord, You know my situation and my need. I begin with You, asking for You to be involved in this with me. Give me Your wisdom; help me choose the right path; show me Your purposes; reveal to me any error on my part. If You want me to get help from others, please show me who to talk to.

If you need wisdom or guidance today, begin with God. Start by asking Him to direct your thoughts and your steps.

I live in the spirit of prayer…. And the answers are always coming.

George Müller

The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead is the foundation of the Christian system and is reflected on weekly by Christians. It is not an annual celebration/rememberance reserved just at Easter as some may practice.  Jesus Christ's victory over death and our assurance that physical death is not the termination of human existence is indeed a cause for joy and strength.  The Lord was the only perfect passover sacrifice suitable for forgiveness of our sins.  

A read of John 20 refreshes us on the Lord's resurrection (NASB)

The Empty Tomb

1Now on the first day of the week Mary Magdalene came early to the tomb, while it was still dark, and saw the stone already taken away from the tomb. 2So she ran and came to Simon Peter and to the other disciple whom Jesus loved, and said to them, “They have taken away the Lord out of the tomb, and we do not know where they have laid Him.” 3So Peter and the other disciple went forth, and they were going to the tomb. 4The two were running together; and the other disciple ran ahead faster than Peter and came to the tomb first; 5and stooping and looking in, he saw the linen wrappings lying there; but he did not go in.6And so Simon Peter also came, following him, and entered the tomb; and he saw the linen wrappings lying there, 7and the face-cloth which had been on His head, not lying with the linen wrappings, but rolled up in a place by itself. 8So the other disciple who had first come to the tomb then also entered, and he saw and believed. 9For as yet they did not understand the Scripture, that He must rise again from the dead.10So the disciples went away again to their own homes.

11But Mary was standing outside the tomb weeping; and so, as she wept, she stooped and looked into the tomb; 12and she saw two angels in white sitting, one at the head and one at the feet, where the body of Jesus had been lying. 13And they said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping?” She said to them, “Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.” 14When she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus. 15Jesus said to her, “Woman, why are you weeping? Whom are you seeking?” Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, “Sir, if you have carried Him away, tell me where you have laid Him, and I will take Him away.” 16Jesus said to her, “Mary!” She turned and said to Him in Hebrew, “Rabboni!” (which means, Teacher). 17Jesus said to her, “Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, ‘I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.’” 18Mary Magdalene came, announcing to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord,” and that He had said these things to her.

Jesus among His Disciples

19So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace bewith you.” 20And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you; as the Father has sent Me, I also send you.” 22And when He had said this, He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, their sins have been forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they have been retained.”

24But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples were saying to him, “We have seen the Lord!” But he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the imprint of the nails, and put my finger into the place of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”

26After eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors having been shut, and stood in their midst and said, “Peace be with you.” 27Then He said to Thomas, “Reach here with your finger, and see My hands; and reach here your hand and put it into My side; and do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” 29Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yetbelieved.”

Why This Gospel Was Written

30Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Photo of Soldier Erecting Cross on Easter Sunday 2017 in Iraq Goes Viral

Veronica Neffinger | Editor, ChristianHeadlines.com | Thursday, April 20, 2017

A photo of an Iraqi soldier erecting a cross on the top of a pile of rubble on Easter Sunday (20170 captured the attention of the internet.

In the photo, the soldier, who remains anonymous, is seen carrying a wooden cross up a mound of rubble that was once Mt. Sinjar Church.

According to The Stream, the Iraqi city of Sinjar was overtaken by the Islamic State in 2014. The jihadists murdered more than 5,000 Yazidi men and captured 7,000 Yazidi women for sex slaves there. They also destroyed homes, churches, and other buildings.

The entire city was practically destroyed, which is a major reason why the photo of the soldier planting the cross among so much destruction is such a moving image.

The scene was posted on Facebook by Palestinian-American Christian televangelist Hazem Farraj.

Above the photo, Farrag wrote: “With a rifle on his shoulder, tears in his eyes, he places the cross on the top of the now ISIS destroyed Mt Sinjar Church. What does resurrection look like? This. Happy Easter everybody. #Resurrection #Jesus”

• Like 1