helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
janey

Parkinson's with GBA or LARK and 9/11

Hi,

I am newly diagnosed, late 40's. I have a theory and am seeking to gather a statistically significant sample in order to petition the 9/11 Zadroga fund to support those of us impacted, including impact on our families. Also, research! If we gather a solid sample, I expect researchers may be interested in learning more about threshold events and GBA/LARK. This might help in the future.

Factors:

GBA or LARK variant (genetic testing through 23 and Me or also through PPMI/other genetic testing)

Lived in NYC during and following 9/11

Likely Ashkenazi Jewish heritage, although I think if you have the genetic variant and are not Ashkemazi we may still be able to build a viable sample

Early Onset

Diagnosed in the past 2-4 years (2013-2017)- symptoms might be longer standing...but looking at date of diagnosis 

Please drop me a note or PM me if you meet these variables. And if you know anyone else...send them my way.

thank you!

Hi Janey,

I would be very interested in your results.  I am GBA and LRRK2 positive and fit all your variables except I was not in NY around 9/11.  I however was living in a situation with a lot of fear for about 10 years before my diagnosis.  I wonder if the ancestral fear of jews that may be embodied in the mutations combined with the real fear set this in motion as it seems like it would around 9/11 as well. I hope you can find people and you'll come back and share what you find.

best wishes,

Lena

Thank you Lena. I think, how could there not be an ancestral/lineage fear connection...!! Fear beings such a large part of my Jewish experience. It's like I carry it forward for my peeps. Would sure like to break that cycle. 

I will definitely report back in. So far there are two of us. I just started. So where there are two...

I definitely think you are on to something.  I hope that if I can heal myself, which I intend to do, I can pass that healing back to my ancestors and forward to my son.  Hopefully healing some of the karma of the fear.

Hi Janey,

I don't have any Jewish ancestral link and never done any genetic testing before,but I used to work in NY around 9/11 and have visited lower manhattan during the months after 9/11.I hope I can fit in.

Lena,

I wish that so much for you and for your son and for his children and so on as the DNA travels...

As time allows, I look forward to hearing more about your healing journey and will share mine.

Otolorin,

Hi! Thanks for your interest. I suggest you invest in the 23 and Me testing- if that works for you. I think for the purposes of this attempt, I need to control the variables as much as possible...for example people with MS have petitioned the fund and been turned down- there are too many variables. BUT! If we can show some possible causality between the interplay of genetics hitting a threshold, "on" moment...then maybe we have something. Being Jewish is less important as a variable. It just happens that the gene is pretty prevalent in Ashkenazi populations. 

Long winded way of saying...if you have the genetic marker then, yes!!