helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Gene

Faster absorption of carbo/levo

My neuro wants me to crush my tablet and drink with a carbonated beverage to get better absorption. What is the best way do this? Put the crushed tablet in my mouth and then drink or stir the crushed tablet in a glass of carbonated drink (it does not seem to dissolve this way), or how is the best way to do it? Also can you crush the daily doses in the am and put each single dose in a suitable container. Will being crushed like that over time affected the potency of the levo-carbo?

Thank you

Gene,

The most efficient way to do this is to use a pill crusher, that you can purchase at almost any store, crush the tablets and then put the crushed tablet in about 4oz. soda water. If you would like to make individual glasses of the mixture for your doses throughout the day, that would be fine and they would not lose potency. Only make them for that day. If you make them for the upcoming days, those can lose potency.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1

can it be any kind of soda? Gingerale? Does that really make that much of a difference?

What about rytary?  Can I open the tablets and dissolve them in gale?

The absorption  of my medication is influenced by so many factors that I would do anything to guarantee absorption.

Noah,

I would just stick with the plain soda water. The reason is that any ingredient in the soda, such as ginger root in Ginger Ale or Root Beer may alter the absorption. You should be able to do the same with the Rytary because it is also just Carbidopa and Levodopa.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.