helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
kaypeeoh

PD and MS?

kaypeeoh    1

So I've been on propranolol for several months for the hand tremor.  But my handwriting has gotten worse and worse.   My staff tell me the hand tremor is better but I still feel it.   A few weeks ago a new problem developed;     Without warning I developed severe vertigo.  Also chest pains reminiscent of fractured ribs, which I had 20 years ago.   The emergency room diagnosed a jugular thrombus with emboli in my inner ear and lungs.  Then they did an MRI that suggests I have MS.   Now I'm on Pradaxa, a blood-thinner for the emboli and the propranolol.  I need a spinal tap but it can't be done while I'm on blood thinners.  The MRI suggests MS but  oligoclonal band proteins in the CSF is the only true diagnosis of MS.    So how often does someone develop MS and PD? 

kaypeeoh

New normal    1,275

Hi KP,

Welcome to the forum.  I am sorry you are having so many issues.  It is scary when you feel your body changing and no one can identify the problem. Many of us can relate.

I am not a doctor.  I can only provide my opinion.  MS and PD have similar symptoms and often confused.  As you said, when you get your spinal tap that will clear up a lot of things for you.  I was dx'd  "probable" MS for several years.  Spinal tap was negative.

i am now dx'd PD...."atypical parkinsonism"  meaning I have PD symptoms clinically, but a host of other symptoms as well.  KP, neurological disease diagnoses are changing and now the term MS and PD serve as an umbrella for many subsets.  If  spinal tap contains the specific blood formation used to identify MS...then it is likely you have MS.  Now that does not mean you may not experience PD symptoms...and vice versa.  Neurological symptoms are crazy and mysterious...with researchers trying their best to untangle and separate the diseases.  In the last decade the gold standard for dx of PD is a positive DaT scan...for MS is  the plague formation in the brain and the blood abnormality. Can MS & PD exist together? Not likely. Answers to you questions may take years to appear.

As you experience new symptoms, your doctor will help you sort things out. You are on a bumpy road.  It is not easy.  Facing an unknown.....feeling changes occurring and not able to understand nor explain them to anyone...feeling alone and detached as the rapid pace of life continues around you...is what we all experience.

A suggestion is to be patient.  As symptoms occur, accept them.  Some can be controlled.  Others cannot.  Understand and accept this is not a death sentence...your health is askew, but you can still have control.  Don't think of your health condition as an enemy....save your enegy in learning to live with PD or MS as a companion...it is what it is.

i wish you relief from fear and frustration.  Find peace and step thru each obstacle with patience and acceptance.  Identify your purpose and serve others as much as you can. That's my tonic for PD....?

God bless...love the ones you love..

keep posting.  We all understand.

NN

kaypeeoh    1

Thanks for the note.  I've been in Salt Lake City the past two days for more blood tests, a chest echo  and 2 MRIs.    One of the upper body and one of the brain.    Hopefully one of the four doctors involved gets back to me with results. 

kpo