helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
New normal

Extreme muscle tension. Dystonia?

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys..

i saw thread on muscle tension..which has been a problem in right leg for monthes.  Tried everything.  Muscle stretching daily.  Now thigh muscle will get rigid and rise about 1/2 inch..looks like a board...stretches tendons from hip and groin...and from knee.  The cramping extends to calf...until entire leg is one huge "charley horse".  Pain is indescriable.  

I'm away from home, neuro would not prescribe.    3 ER trips...MRI, CAT scan, Ultra sound, steroid IV, hydraoxycodone.  Nothing helped.  Soft tissue attachments were so painful, I barely could,walk...and acute spasm episodes  intermittent.

Answer : (dont try this at home). I swiped gabapentin from DH.  It works!  I googled it alot..and was desperate.  I could not believe that a condition which exhibited dramatic physical distortion.....and PAIN...could come from the brain!! I cannot wrap my head around it...it just does not match with anything I have learned about body function working with DH in chiro practice for 30 years.

So called neuro..reported history...and he prescribed gabapentin.  I was experimenting with doseage...too much made me woosey.,,, his prescription now is working after 3 days...no cramps...just soreness from past distortion.

Hope,this helps someone..  so, guys, IS THIS DYSTONIA??

NN, I don't know, but it does sound like h_ll!  Awful, awful.  I''m so sorry, and for it to have been so severe and for so long--I just can't imagine how you stood it.  Will you be able to stay on the meds until you can find a doctor who knows what is going on and can hopefully help you? 

Have you contacted our Ask the Doctor section here?

I am comfortable in having Gabapentin control spasms and conclude it is PD related.

i,hope others can benefit.

Hi New, Sorry to hear about your new issue. With PD, life isn't going to be boring.

I was on Gabapentine for Neuropathy. It made me feel very tired and I lacked a normal level of concentration when driving. Bad stuff. I switched to Lyrica. Works well for me without making me sleepy. Warning! It's very expensive.

Fred

Thanks Fred,

I am so grateful for gaba's help the excruciating pain, I wd take fatigue as a side effect any day.  Literally, thigh muscle raised up and went into a board like form...tearing all tendons with it.  As,Gaba wears of it resumes.   So far, I havent noticed more fatique.  Dr Google says MSA has dystonia like that... so there ya go...it is what it is.  

I am glad to hear from you Fred and that you are still in the fight.  Keep swimmin'.  👍

NN. 

NN, yes, this is dystonia. I had an adverse reaction to gabapentin, so no relief there for me. I use Baclofen, which helps the dystonia in my stomach. So glad you're feeling better.

Dianne