helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
polyparkie

A shortage of Carbadopa/Levadopa CR????

Mark;

It seems that all of a sudden when I went to refil my script of C/L 25/100 cr, I was told that it was "unavalible" and would not be avalible until sometime after September..... I figured ok, that was at Rite Aid, so I called around to several other pharmacy's in the area... Walgrens, Bartells, Fred Myer (Kroger), as well as several indipendents I tried... I'm being told that it's a distributor issue....  My question is it?? or is it a manufacturing issue as well??? and is this a sign of comming problems in supply in all forms of C/L???

thanks

Poly,

More than likely it is a manufacturing issue. Usually when this happens it is the fact that the manufacturer is having a hard time obtaining the raw ingredients.

My suggestion would be to ask if they can order it threw their secondary wholesaler. Most large chains receive an order from their own warehouse and one from a smaller distributor. Many pharmacies use the small distributor for items they may need by the next day. When they look up the product from the smaller (or secondary) distributor, they can also see if any other manufacturer has it in stock.

Another option could be to have the store you go to contact another store to see if that store may have it in stock. I know that Rite Aid can actually pull up all of the stores in their district and see if they have a particular product. If the do (1) you could go to that store to get the medication, or (2) someone from one store could drop it off or even mail it to your store.

I don't believe that this is a sign of up coming problems. It seems more like an issue just happened. It could also be the fact that there have many company buyouts that this may be a timw when those companies are starting their own manufacturing of that product.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

14 hours ago, MComes RPH said:

Poly,

Another option could be to have the store you go to contact another store to see if that store may have it in stock. I know that Rite Aid can actually pull up all of the stores in their district and see if they have a particular product. If the do (1) you could go to that store to get the medication, or (2) someone from one store could drop it off or even mail it to your store.

According to Rite Aid, they claim that they can not order it from anyone. I even contacted my prior pharmacy (an old style indipendent mom&pop type) and they also said that it suddenly became very hard to locate any of the 25/100 CR from anyone... I['ve also got the same story from Walgrens, Bartell's, and Fred Meyer/Kroger locally...

So I did a count of my own supply, and came up with 235 pills.... and at 6 pills a day, that leaves me with a 39 day supply......  Then I'd have to go back to the instant release...... and more dyskinesia............BAH

thanks.....

have you tried to get 50/200cr which is okay to split?   just curious, which brand of CR are you getting?   if your're not getting MYLAN can they get that brand?

this brings home the point that it's a good idea to have at least 1 month's reserve of pd medications.  it's a shame that the number of C/L manufacturers  are declining, it's cheap and works well yet i'm sure you could get RYTARY or AZILECT and pay thru the nose.  we need to complain to our legislatures, fewer generics and i think were're getting poorer quality.every time a large drug company sells it's c/l drugs to some minor manufacturer.  just my opinion

Poly,Another option may be to try and find a pharmacy that may have the CR 25/100, then you could have the Dr have you take 2 tablets. I've contacted ALL the manufacturers and their reason for the shortage is due to not being able to obtain the raw ingredients,  but did tell me they should be available in about a month.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

i'm in seattle, my 50/m200cr mylan refilled on 8/4.  asked the pharmacist at the independent i've used for 14 years if any problems and he said no.  just my opinion but if this raw material shortage is true it's almost criminal, the C/L companies should have months of raw ingredients on hand, the stuff is cheap.   one would think their would be an uproar by the pd associations and pd'ers if this is true and pd'ers aren't getting their meds.  i assume most f the ingredients come from china and india.,

I am not sure where the products come from, but today I decided to make a call to the FDA. They assured me there was no shortage issue, only a back order issue. This means that the companies are building up enough supply to get out to everyone . In the meantime, the companies are shipping out small quantities to pharmacies across the country.

Ihope this helps and please keep me posted.