helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Bluemoon

Pain in the leg

Hey guys,

I think I'm having a symptom here but I'm not sure what it is or if it’s due to PD.

On late June I woke up in the morning with a huge pain on the back of my left leg. Same as if I’d had a cramping during the night, only that I didn't have any cramping. I just woke up like this and could barely walk.

First I thought it was due to an excess of physical activity, but days went by and the pain remained and worsened, to the point that I had to stay at home for a week ‘cause I wasn't able to walk at all.

In the beginning, the pain was too intense to even think how it worked. But as days went by, I realized that the pain was worse in the morning and that it got a bit better if I moved around. Moving didn't make it go away, but it seemed that my leg was less rigid and painful.

Altogether made me think that it was a symptom of PD rather than an injury from physical activity. After a week, the pain went away and I started again with my regular routine.

But the pain has come back in the same leg and in the same conditions twice (out of the blue, or apparently), which has made me pay attention to how and when it comes to me.

It seems to be related to the type of shoe I'm wearing. if I'm wearing a very flat shoe (like thongs or sandals), it looks like I'm making some strange or unnatural movement when I walk (which I'm not aware of because I don't coordinate correctly while I walk due to PD), and this movement I'm not aware of is causing tension on the muscle of the leg, which ultimately leads to rigidity and pain.

Does it make sense at all to any of you? Or am I going nuts?

I have to say this has never ever happened to me before. I've always worn thongs and sandals and very flat shoes, and it has never happened to me. This is why I'm thinking it's PD related.

Your input will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I have no PD advice on this one. I will say that I had worn flats and flip flops for years. I ended up with issues in my Achilles' tendon. I only wear good shoes now....you can find cute sandals with orthodic support. They take awhile to get used to but worth the effort. 

Good luck!

LAD

Thanks Lad :) Well, it sounds like you too ended up with an issue that came out of the blue.

Can I ask how it started in your case, what was the trigger? How did you realize it was PD related?

Thanks again!

I have the same issue. It comes and goes. But i am never painfree. It can last for weeks. Pain medication doesnt help. The only thing to make it better is hard leg exercise. Functional or weights. The harder the better. 

Also perhaps check for mercury.

after a few years i got the same in arm ellbow and then other leg.

Have your Vitamin D level checked.  Low Vitamin D was causing me to have similar symptoms. I now take 5000 Units of Vitamin D3 daily and have no problems unless I run out and don't take it for a few days.

Kevin

@Skiing Oh my. I'm relieved to read you yet I'm worried at the same time. So this is how it's going to be from now on. I'll take your exercise advise. The only thing is, it's like I have a window of performance. If I exercise the leg less or more than that window allows, I get the pain back. Too little is bad, too much is worse. Stretching after waking up helps a lot. And coincidentally I had my mercury checked and it is too high. So there's that. I have to say I'm not happy about the idea of living with this pain. I'm only 37!

@RNwithPD I'll try to get my vitamin D levels checked, I'm spending the summer by the beach and I doubt it has to do with it, but you never know. Thanks for your reply!

Yes it can suck. Thanks for the vit d tip

I find going downhill very bad . Pain and rigidity worse.

9 hours ago, Bluemoon said:

Thanks Lad :) Well, it sounds like you too ended up with an issue that came out of the blue.

Can I ask how it started in your case, what was the trigger? How did you realize it was PD related?

Thanks again!

I'm not sure mine was PD related...it was way before my DX..?