helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
BillBRNC

Neck & Shoulder Issues

BillBRNC    25

I take Sinemet CR around 7:00 a.m. and again at around 6:00 p.m. Can't recall dosage right now, but it has been adjusted around to a middle level dosage. I also take a Sinemet fast acting at bedtime. This routine seems to have worked well. For the past few weeks, I've had quite a lot of neck and shoulder pain and stiffness, more than anything pre-Sinemet. Anyway, my question is whether this type of issue is common for those with Parkinson's? I don't think I did anything to bring this on, but I can't know for sure as I have some memory issues that cloud my life. Thanks.

afroney    124

Yeah.  Pretty typical with PD, especially as it progresses. 

I had the same issues pre-diagnosis.  Wasnt sure what it was at the time, so the doc ordered some physical therapy.  It helped tremendously.  Ive been doing the perscribed stretching and exercises for years, since then, and it does alot of good.

BillBRNC    25

Thanks for the reply. Yes, exercise and stretching solves many problems, and I will start today. I exercise quite a bit already, so I don't need to increase that, but I do need to stretch more. I guess my real question is whether it is unusual  for the neck and shoulder thing I describe to not develop until so long after I started Sinemet. Just wondering if it is Parkinson's or whether I somehow injured myself without knowing it.

MusicMan    769

I think the neck and shoulder pain is extremely common in PD, meds or not. Sometimes mine is terrible for days, but then mysteriously goes away for awhile. (actually it just moves to a different part of my body:rolleyes:)

LAD    202

I had major shoulder pain but an OT that specializes in arms helped me. But not everything is PD related sometimes injuries happen . 

LAD

afroney    124
10 hours ago, BillBRNC said:

Thanks for the reply. Yes, exercise and stretching solves many problems, and I will start today. I exercise quite a bit already, so I don't need to increase that, but I do need to stretch more. I guess my real question is whether it is unusual  for the neck and shoulder thing I describe to not develop until so long after I started Sinemet. Just wondering if it is Parkinson's or whether I somehow injured myself without knowing it.

If in doubt, talk to a dr.  With PD, its easy to attribute everything to the disease.  I've made that mistake.

I had some terrible back and neck pain recently that I thought was Parkinson's.  Turned out to be severe osteoarthritis, identified by an xray.  The months I spent in the hospital and bed had really aggravated an ongoing issue.  Cortisone injections, physical therapy, and a short dose of steroids cleared the worst of it up.

• Thanks 1

otolorin    28

I have experienced these neck and shoulder issues,I think it is parkinson related,especially when the medications are wearing off,the pain is intense.I think it is due to dystonia of the neck and shoulder muscles.The pain is relieved with stretching and active exercises.

BillBRNC    25

Thanks to all. These problems have been around a little too long to be due to some unknown injury, at least I think so, but I still wonder if it is Parkinson-related because I've had a lot of other mobility/balance issues in the past, but mostly helped by Sinemet and the Big program and exercise and passage of time. It is hard to say whether the problems are worse towards the end of Sinemet's  dosage, because they seem to exist most of the time. These problems aren't killing me by any means, but they do hurt more than just a little and also limit the motion of my neck and right shoulder. Oh, my arm swing has been gone in my right arm for a long time, not brought back by Sinemet. Maybe that is a clue. Thanks again.

RNwithPD    167

Bill,

It could be several things:

• Some type of chronic injury. For example, I had a lot of shoulder/neck pain that I attributed to the disease, but turns out I had a pinched nerve in my neck. Surgery fixed the problem.
  • Sinemet, itself, has shoulder pain listed as a side-effect. So it could be the  medicine.
  • It could be that you are under-medicated and the pain is the result of tight muscles caused by PD.

I would go to your general practitioner and ask for an MRI of your neck just to rule out any issues there. If that comes back negative, then I would go to your neurologist and try increasing your Sinemet and see if that helps.

Kevin