helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

Articles, news, thoughts regarding health care and medication coverage and costs

Linda Garren    736

One of the most encouraging things I've read that may push Congress to work on getting health care sorted out in a fair way for all.  (This news came out a few days ago, but I'm  posting this for those of us who had not read or heard about it yet.)

http://dailysignal.com/2017/07/31/how-trump-could-force-congress-and-its-staff-to-live-under-obamacare/

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Thanks 1

Quietstill    450

Well, yes and no.

First, I am thankful that Senator Collins and Murkowski stayed strong along with every democratic senator.  The devastation to people who rely on Medicaid (anyone over 65 who is hospitalized, 50% of all women are pregnant and their babies, all children facing a health crisis, all disabled people) would have been extreme.  Nursing homes would have closed, and rural hospitals shuttered; all for a tax break for the top .1% of wealthiest Americans.

The problem remains, in particular the 2-5% of Americans who are covered under the individual markets.  That includes me.  The over all market has stabilized, and health care costs and insurance rates for the 95-98% of the ACA market are actually growing at a slower rate than previously.  That also stabilized the market for those lucky Americans with Employer based insurance.  As I have said before, those of us in the 2-5% individual market are carefully targeted; we are middle class and middle aged.  We are perfect poster children for the 'horrors' of managed care.

Congress is already on the ACA.  The threat is to take them off the employer sponsored ACA exchange (negotiated by the Federal Employees Union of Washington DC) and force them into the individual market.  I can guarantee that the Senators and Representaives can afford the individual market.  That body consists of very wealthy people.  However, I can also guarantee that the clerks, typists, maintenance staff, custodial staff cannot afford the individual market.  So who is being threatened by the President?  The Senators?  Nope.  This is actually mean-spirited posturing, unless President Trump really doesn't have any clue about how the ACA works.  So either cruelty or ignorance...Take your pick.

Here is a link to Politico article that specifies how Congress gets its health insurance. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/02/obamacare-subsidies-trump-threats-lawmakers-react-241244

These threats also impact me very heavily, as they undermine the Individual market as insurers have to guess whether the Federal Government will or will not meet their contractual obligations.  So for me it is also a lose-lose proposition as he continues to tweet.

Linda Garren    736

It is truly such an awful situation.  I can't get my brain to understand how (1) Congress enjoys special treatment as to their health care and costs and (2) how could any of the elite gazillionaires sleep at night with the size of the tax breaks they get (and don't need) when people in your position suffer, as well as all of the rest of us who are not given the perks they get.  I will never understand how our country can support this situation.  I do now understand, though, why it doesn't seem that the middle and lower classes are being taken care of.  What incentive do the politicians have to improve things when they are taken care of so well.  It seems they don't want to upset the apple cart for themselves.

One other thing that I keep thinking about is that no plans seem to have been made under the Obama administration on how the debt that Obamacare put us in would be repaid.  Obama initiated a lot of things that were helpful to people in his health care act, but surely he must have known the next president would seem the bad guy, because he/she would inherit the problem of how to sustain Obamacare.  Yet O gets all the glory.

Quiet, you know a lot more about this than I, to your credit.  The above is just IMHO.

Quietstill    450

Just an odd thought here; the new Trump TV.  Sigh.  As a reformed academic who used to study autocratic states... I would suggest balancing that station's coverage with an unbiased source.  The Hill? NYT? even USA Today.  Certainly not Fox.

pdmanaz    48
22 minutes ago, Quietstill said:

Just an odd thought here; the new Trump TV.  Sigh.  As a reformed academic who used to study autocratic states... I would suggest balancing that station's coverage with an unbiased source.  The Hill? NYT? even USA Today.  Certainly not Fox.

IMHO the sources you mentioned are not at all unbiased unless you are viewing from the LEFT. It is a fact Fox is biased right.

MusicMan    769

Until ALL Americans rise up and tell congress that we HAVE to start controlling the rising costs of HEALTHCARE itself, no insurance plan is going to remain affordable. If our electric bills, or gasoline, groceries, water bills,  ALL rose at the rate that healthcare costs are rising, our entire economy would collase. Why we allow this to happen is completely beyond me. I'm not talking about the cost of insurance (which is just a reimbursement vehicle....I'm talking about drug prices, hospital stays , surgical costs, etc!!)

It's time for the government to step in and FREEZE healthcare costs until we can get a handle on things!!!!

PatriotM    800

There is no controlling healthcare costs as long as the government is involved.  Health care and health insurance are just like higher education and student loans.  Once the idiots in the government get involved and begin pushing money at a business, the costs always skyrocket.  Get the idiots in the government out of higher education, student loans, health care, and health insurance and the costs will come down. 

A price freeze will not work either.  When you freeze prices, you cause scarcity.

bill 1991    3

Everybody who gets medicare sure likes it so why not medicare for all,lol

There are some people who think being they have it all ,if you don't well that's your problem 

Today it's All for one,one for all vs Everyone for himself

Ill always be in the All for one ,one for all group

Linda Garren    736
3 hours ago, PatriotM said:

There is no controlling healthcare costs as long as the government is involved.  Health care and health insurance are just like higher education and student loans.  Once the idiots in the government get involved and begin pushing money at a business, the costs always skyrocket.  Get the idiots in the government out of higher education, student loans, health care, and health insurance and the costs will come down. 

A price freeze will not work either.  When you freeze prices, you cause scarcity.

12 hours ago, Quietstill said:

Trump TV?

Linda Garren    736
3 hours ago, pdmanaz said:

Vote Libertarian is my answer. The other parties have had their opportunity.

Yikes!  :-)   (IMHO), I envision the downside of that as our becoming such a loosey-goosey country that it would be more chaotic than ever...and divisive.  I have only a surface understanding of it, though.  What's your take on it?

Linda Garren    736

Thanks.  I'm sure it will help in my understanding of the party better.  I always got a kick out of Gary Johnson when he was running in this last election.  So funny.

Here's a question for you:  Is Sweden in some way (though not officially) a sort of Libertarian country though not officially?

Linda Garren    736
22 minutes ago, pdmanaz said:

My question is how are the Dems and Repubs working out for you?

:blink:

Unbelievably disappointing.  On both sides.  However, I do see some lights beginning to shine (in individuals) that I hope will remain and grow stronger.  But I honestly wonder with so many being bought out by corporations and special interests, and with all of the dishonesty and self interest instead of a clear interest in what is best for our country, it's no wonder things are as they are.  I will remain with the party that aligns best with my values, and that's all I can think to do.  Or, I should say the party that has the most individuals who align with my values.

Nice talking with you.  Take care.

pdmanaz    48

Philosophy - how long do we have to wait? We wait a lifetime and things seem no better but actually more corrupt. Each special interest group has their power players. Nothing is fair. This country is run on special interest minorities. The vast majority of people have no power because they have given up. There is no human morality in government or corporations.

It's all about special interest and power. This government is run by lawyers with no moral secular fiber. Every law passed is for some special interest group.

PatriotM    800
9 minutes ago, pdmanaz said:

Philosophy - how long do we have to wait?

“A democracy (republic) cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

- Alexander Fraser Tytler

• Like 1

Linda Garren    736

I just ran across this verse from the Old Testament book of Ecclesiastes in an article I was reading.  I've never heard it before, but I can't resist quoting it: 

"Woe to you, O land, when your king is a child."

• Confused 1