helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Hello!
I need your advice in regards of doses.
1. What is the Atremorine dose if conventional medicine is administered, levocarb 150 mg/day (1.5 pills x 4) and entacapone 800 mg/day (200 mg x 4).

2. How to gradually lower the doses of the two latter medications while increasing the dose of Antremorine?

3. Can AtreMorine as alternative treatment gradually replace levocarb and entacapone which have negative side effect? Could you please also refer to Parkinson patients, if you know any, who were in a similar situation as mine?

Your reply will be appreciated. Thank you.

Atremorine is a natural product that contains L-Dopa. It comes in a powder form and, since it it is not a medical medication, it is not regulated by the FDA.

1) The starting dose is 5 grams per day. The dose can be increased slowly if needed to a max of 20 grams per day. Since this is a natural product, the amount that reaches the brain is unknown. It can be taken with other Parkinson medications, including Levo/carb and Entapacone.

2) If and when you decide to try Atremorine make sure you inform your Dr. The Dr will be the one who can tell you how to tapper off of your other medications. It is always best to decrease the doseage of the medication in small increments over a long period of time. I would recommend that you decrease only one medication at a time. This way, if some type reaction were to happen, you do not have to guess which medication could have caused it.

3) From my experience of natural L-Dopa products, I have not seen or heard of a patient who has been able to replace their Parkinson medications with natural L-Dopa products. The main reason is due to the fact of how much of the natural product can reach the brain. There is a part of the body known as the blood-brain-barrier. It can be thought of as a sieve or filter. Only molecules that are small enough are able to pass through this barrier and work in the brain. Prior to even getting to the blood-brain-barrier the product must first be broken down in the stomach, absorbed through the small intestines, metabolized in the liver into it's active form, and then pass the blood-brain-barrier in order to work. Since natural products do not have to go through the same research and development process as prescription medications, it is not known how much of this product is available at the end of this process.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

Dear Pharmacist,

pwp on this website have claimed to have replaced parkinson meds with mucuna puriens effectively because they developed dyskinesia from sinemet.Are these false claims.Somebody stated that he takes amino acid with mucuna to enhance passage through the bloodbrain barrier.Do you think this works.And what is the best way to prevent dyskinesia,if you are on C/L?

Dear Mr. Comes,

Thank you for your reply, I understand that I need to consult my doctor and try with one medication. There are many video files on YouTube but they are either irrelevant to my needs or  seem not trustworthy.

Regards,

Nataliya

Otolorin,

I am not saying that it cannot happen that somebody can replace prescription medication with natural L-Dopa. It can be possible but it depends on what stage the person is in with Parkinson's.

The amino acids may help with the passage of mucuna through the BBB, but we really don't know how much.

There are several ways to diminish dyskensia while on carb/levo theraby:

Reducing the dose or taking smaller doses throughout the day.

Possibly changing to liquid sinemet, which is taken in small amounts throughout the day.

Adding Amantadine will sometimes help with the dyskensia.

The last option, if the dyskensia is severe enough, is DBS or a Duodopa Pump.

Nataliya,

I try to stay away from some YouTube videos and certain information on the internet. I grew up on lake Michigan and I saw a search where you can go whale watching on Lake Michigan. LOL.

What ever you need, feel free to contact me anytime and I hope I will be able to help you.

Please keep me posted

Am I understanding you correctly that liquid sinemet doesnt cause as much dyskensia as the pills. That is a problem for me

Noah,

Liquid Sinemet can definitely reduce dyskensia because it is made into a liquid form that is sipped throughout the day as if you were getting a continual supply of levodopa. Somewhat like an infusion. It is primarily used in later stage patients who, when take tablets, have too many issues with off times and side effects. I use it from time to time when I am traveling because it gives me better and more precise control of my symptoms.

There are several ways to make it, but the one I make is for convenience because it is not necessary to refrigerate but can be to make it more palatable.

Here is the formula:

Liquid Sinemet made with Orange Juice:

1) Count the number of Sinemet 25/100 tablets you take in one day. (for use in this example let's say you take 4 tablets per day)

2) Take the number of tablets and multiply it by 100 ml's. (so in this case you would need 4 X 100 ml= 400 ml's)

3) For every 1000 ml's of liquid, in this case orange juice, you will need 2000 mg's of Vitamin C. Orange juice does not have enough Vitamin C to help the ingredients work, but in a pinch if you do not have Vitamin C it is fine not to add it. You will see maximum effects if you do have the Vitamin C to add to the mixture. The amount of Vitamin C needed for this Mixture would be 800 mg's. If you require less than 1000 ml's, all you have to do is to multiple the amount of Orange Juice needed by 2. So, in this case we take 400 ml's and multiply by 2 to come up with 800 mg's of Vitamin C.

4) Crush the 4 tablets of Sinemet. Pharmacies do sell pill pulverizers where you put the tablets in a little cup and then screw on the cap. The cap is cone shaped and will crush the tablets. Make sure it is ground into a fine powder. Make sure you clean the pulverizer after each use.

5) Now you need to add 800 mg's of Vitamin C. You can probably find powdered Vitamin C at a specialty vitamin store (ie. Vitamin Shoppe or GNC), but if there is not one near you your local pharmacy will carry Vitamin C tablets. The best ones to use are the chewable Vitamin C because they are easily crushed. If you cannot find the chewable tablets, make sure you use a regular Vitamin C tablet, not an enteric coated or a delayed release tablet. If you must use the tablets you will find that they come in increments of 250 mg (ie. 250 mg, 500, mg, and then 1000 mg). I recommend that you crush 750 mg (or 1 and 1/2 tablets of the 500 mg) which is close to 800 mg.

6) Place the Sinemet powder and the Vitamin C powder in the 400 ml's of orange juice. This bottle will then contain a 1 day supply of Sinemet. It can either be sipped throughout the day or you can drink 100 ml's four times a day.

7) This solution must be SHAKEN WELL before consuming it.

8 )The convenience of my mixture is that it does not have to be refrigerated but can be is it tastes better to you. 

9) Once mixed, this solution is good for up to 48 hours.

• Like 1

Noah,

There are very few people that do this basically because it is mainly done for people in a state of what is called "brittle" Parkinson's disease. This means that there off times have become so bad that they have to have constant input of Sinemet. Like I said, I do travel quit a bit and I do use this method to help keep my levels in control.

There is now a product called Duopa which is and intestinal infusion of levodopa keeping constant levels of Dopamine for approximately 16 hours per day.

If anybody if using the liquid Sinemet drink, please feel free to post it here for Noah.