helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
New normal

INcreased sense of smell?

Yes.  I've noticed heightened senses of smell after Sinemet dose increases.  A few other people on this forum experience the same.

• Like 1

Mine comes and goes with Sinemet.  some days more, some days much less.  Somedays, I can be very sensitive to one smell, but I can completely miss another.  It is weird

• Like 1

This is FIRST time I've heard this, thanks guys.  The smell sensitivity became a major distraction..I smelled laundry softening sheets when entering a room,  etc.  it was overbearing and combined with  vomiting dry heaves..  Yet, in the total scheme of things, it is viewed as minor.  Ya have to experience it to understand.

my grandson has severe lymes disease...and very sentive to smell. Now, I understand he grabbing his shirt to block odors.

Dr Google says PWP who retain a sense of smell are more likely to eventually move into a parkinsonian atypical PD. 

For me, I see now my chemistry was major messed up for nearly 3 weeks.  Long story, but apparently i became very low on potassium.  Once I took the rx of potassium I am SUPPOSED to take..and added magnesium, Vit D, calcium...I recovered.  Scary to think if I just medicated the symptoms.

So lesson learned. "Sense of smell" used in diferentiating between PD and PD + can be tricky.  Who knew it can be  gone...then return in different levels?

That dang PD can keep you on your toes.. (.pardon the pun.)

Again, guys, thanks for responses.

NN

PD+?   Atypical?  That really stinks (pun intended).

For a while, I smelled nothing.  Once I was taken care of, months later I noticed it came back.

Edited by MurrayPD2

I just read an article in AARP Magazine re: this issue.  Some things we can do to help our sense of smell:

--People who exercise regularly and do not drink excessively are less likely to suffer from loss of smell, according to a 2016 National Institutes of Health study.

--Avoid strong fumes from cleaning products and other chemicals.]

--Smell training seems to help 30 to 40% of people to improve their ability to detect odors.  Spend a few minutes a day gently sniffing familiar aromas, such as lemon, clove, eucalyptus and rose.