helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

noah    66

You may or may not remember that I have been having difficulty falling asleep.

After trying a few things the doc gave me trazadone 25 mg to start. I had been using 10 ml of 2.5 mg  melatonin and .5 ml of valerian root(she told me I could continue with them in addition to the trazadone)

I have been following the instructions for each one.. Valderian root about 30 minutes before bed, the melatonin about 15 minutes before bed and the 25 mg of the trazadone right at b ed

I usually take the valerian root and the melatoin in the spare bedroom and try to settle myself down before going to bed .  What I am finding is that by the time I am reading to moved into the  bedroom   

I am feeling a liitle fuzzy, I go into my room and take the 25 mg of the trazadone a nd shortly after that I feel groggy and am laying there waiting to fall sleep but after about 15 minutes the feeling is gone   

Does this mean I should talk to my doc about upping the dose.  It has only been 4 n ights. Should the timing I take the meds be different?

Would appreciate your input

Thank you

MComes RPH    180

Noah,

I think there may be 2 things that can be done. First, I would try taking the Valerian about 45 minutes prior to bed, the Melatonin about 25 minutes prior to bed, and the Trazadone about 10 minutes prior to bed (but make sure you are in bed when you take the Trazadone). I believe this small change could allow all of the medications to be active in the system at the same time. As you know every person has a different metabolization time. It sounds like you may be a slower metabolizer, so taking the meds earlier may help.

Secondly, I think an increase in strength may be needed. With a medication like Trazadone, it is reasonable to increase the strength after being on the medication for about 7 days. The max dose of Trazadone is 150mg per day.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.