helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
BillBRNC

Q About Arm Swing

After starting Sinemet, the cramps and stiffness improved a lot. My left arm swing also improved, but still quite limited. Recently, I've had a lot of right shoulder pain. Also, my right arm swing never improved and remains almost totally absent. Two questions. First, is there a probably connection between the lack of arm swing on the right and the shoulder pain on the right? Second, when I walk, I have the sense in my mind that my right arm is swinging almost like normal, but when I look, it is only swinging in a very tight range of about one inch. In other words, very little arm swing. Is this unusual to have the sense that your arm is swinging when in fact it is not swinging? This whole arm swing thing is confusing to me. What is the actual cause of the arm not swinging? I know it is Parkinson's, but I don't know why the arm doesn't swing. The shoulder pain and shoulder stiffness seems like it might be connected somehow to the limited arm swing, but I just don't know much about it. I also have Parkinson's dementia, so most things confuse me these days. Thanks.

The stiffness in my right shoulder predated my diagnosis by two years. The lack of arm swing predated my diagnosis by 12 years. The muscles were gradually tightening the entire time. 

I began PD specific physical therapy shortly after my  2010 diagnosis. Although neither arm was swinging anymore, I was able to regain arm swing through PT and at-home exercises. 

Ask for a referral to a PT who specializes in PD. Some lost function can be regained.

Dianne  

The only thing I was able to get is something I got from Dr. Okun. If I recall right, and I guess his response might still be around somewhere on his spot, he said that this was not an unknown occurrence. But it had not been studied much. I think he said one of his colleagues was interested in the subject. I also asked my treating neuro, who said that this was normal to have that sensation. Personally, I would favor whatever Dr. Okun says about a general issue that doesn't require examining me to answer, and I think this is such a question. I frankly just forgot about it and still notice it all the time.