helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Rainbow

Antidepressants and Rasagiline and Pramipexola

Hello Everyone,

My mom is a newly diagnosed PD patient and using Pramipexola (0.375 mg) and Zoloft(25 mg) Is there anybody who uses these drugs? What other drugs are you using besides or other than these drugs? Is there anybody on Rasagiline as a newly diagnosed patient. My mom was diagnosed in last July.

Also what type of exercises and how long do you do it?

Do you prefer cardio/high intensity exercises or low intensity, like walking 30 mins a day? Which one is more beneficial?

Sorry for a lot of questions, just trying to figure out what is best for my mom at this moment.

Looking forward to hearing your type of treatment plan!

Thank you for your time!

I use rasagiline  Dr says they believe it may slow down the progression of Pd and supposed to aid the other drugs to prevent the wearing off effect as your dose wears off . I don't use any of the others though . 

Dan

Hello, Rainbow --

Lots of questions are good!  No need to apologize.

I was taking Pramipexole and Amantadine before Rasagiline came on the market.  But as soon as it did, my doctor wanted me to add it to my regimen of drugs, which I did.  It is hard to say what each drug accomplishes for me, but I know that Pramipexole (Mirapex) is my chief symptom fighter.  It eliminated my handwriting problem, any tremors I had, my awkward gait, and more.  Whether Amantadine or Rasagiline or both may be responsible for delaying the disease's progress I do not know.  However, I have now had PD more than 20 years, and I am still in the first stage of development.  My doctors are not sure why, but we don't want to change anything in my treatment when I am lucky enough to be doing so well.

Exercise is important.  For many years of my PD, I exercised strenuously and often.  I am now 71 years old and have slacked off a lot without noticing any difference.  I read an article not long ago stating that exercise beyond 45 minutes does not do any more for the body.  My results make me believe it.  I used to work on weight machines and the elliptical more than I do now.  I have been practicing tai chi for five years and find it very helpful with flexibility and balance.  I also walk two to five miles per day five days a week over quite hilly trails and sidewalks.    If your mother is young and can do more, bicycling is reputedly excellent for many PD patients, too.  Or she could join a square dancing or line dancing class.

Your mother is fortunate to have you as her support and her researcher!  Good luck to both of you.

J

• Like 2

Thank you so much Hunter Dan and J of Grey Cottage. Your answers helped me a lot. I will keep you updated about my mom's doctor visit and how it turned out. It will be in months and she will ask her doctor if she can add Rasagiline to her medicines. She is 70 years old and she is walking 30 minutes every day. She lives in Turkey and I live in US. Researching for her makes me feel better maybe if I were living with her I would not research that much and spend fun time with her. Just trying to be useful for her. And friends like you help me a lot. Thank you so much for providing support!! And I am so glad that you are doing well.

• Like 1