helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Linda Garren

Thinking of and Praying for our Fellow Americans in Houston

Linda Garren    747

https://twitter.com/KPRC2Sara

So very hard to see and hear of the devastation in Houston, yet very heart warming to see the efforts of individuals, state police, reporters, the "Cajun Navy," etc., who are working as hard as they can to help save people.  Seeing seniors at a nursing home sitting in their chairs in waist-high water, seeing home-owners seeing their homes destroyed and not being able to prevent it, cars (and people in them) nearly underwater, hearing of emergency centers without food/water/other necessities all surely call for us to prayer for those of us who cannot go and help in person.  The twitter site I've posted above includes information on how to contact the Red Cross for those who are moved to give donations.  I imagine their needs will go on for a long, long time.  (How this devastation could have happened with apparently little planning ahead if beyond me.)

Edited by Linda Garren
  • Like 2

Linda Garren    747

Mr. and Mrs. Texas Tom and all the furries in the family:   Is Harvey impinging upon your area?  (I think you are in Austin?)

Dancing Bear    80

Saw on the news tonight that only 15-20% of homeowners have flood insurance!  The financial impact will live on long after the news reporters pack up their vans and go home. The 1000 year storm/flood just happened it seems.  Prayers continue for all including the first responders.  We are seeing some of the best things about America and Americans come through in this crisis.

Edited by Dancing Bear
  • Like 1

Linda Garren    747

Hi, DB.   I had to look up what the 1,000 year flood is. :-)   This article explains it very well, I think.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/science/ct-harvey-1000-year-flood-event-20170831-story.html

I agree with how we are seeing some of the best things about America and American citizens!

Edited by Linda Garren

Linda Garren    747

I thought this article I received this morning worth posting (excerpted from complete article) in relation to our supporting and praying for Houston and the surrounding areas.  This Christian author's  thoughts on Biblical prophecy are a very worthy and insightful read, as well. 

Sept. 1, 2017

"I believe the last few weeks have been dramatic in view of Bible prophecy for these last days.  Hurricane Harvey and, more importantly, its aftermath have wreaked unbelievable devastation on the coastal regions of Southeast Texas and Louisiana. And it continues. As I write these words, rooftop rescues are still happening. Entire communities are being evacuated from flooded areas. Whole cities are without water and power.

And the death toll is rising. Only now are thousands of first responders and National Guard personnel beginning to sift through the receding floodwaters to find the bodies of people who didn't make it out.

Already, analysts are saying this is the costliest natural disaster in American history. And not just for those tens of thousands who lost their homes and their possessions, but for the businesses which lost entire inventories and plants.

Because of the tremendous concentration of America's oil-refining capacity in that region, all Americans will see their gasoline bills rise over the next few weeks. It's already happening in many places. Gasoline shortages, too.

And Hurricane Irma is brewing in the east Atlantic and appears headed toward North America in the next few days.

I don't intend to suggest that this hurricane or the next is prophesied for these days. I believe they are natural occurrences in the life of our planet. I do believe, however, that the upheaval these and other disasters cause and the danger they present to America's economy and infrastructure may contribute to America's role (or absence) in the Biblical  last days scenario.

Also, the last few weeks have seen a ratcheting up of the hatred toward anything Christian, moral, or conservative in our nation. As I noted in last week's program, the stunning rise of "Identity Politics" in just the last few years has put the United States on a dangerous course toward a second civil war. And I do not say that flippantly.

The societal persecution has begun. Just as Jesus warned we would see in the days just before His return.

But you and I have been entrusted by God to be His representatives on this earth at the most critical, and exciting, time in prophetic history. So lest we blow our opportunity to bring glory to God in the closing days of this Age of Grace, I want to help you prepare for what certainly lies ahead.

I have long warned that persecution and prosecution is coming. Now that it's here, we believers need to be ready to stand strong against the rushing tides of public opinion and public ridicule. We need to be ready to be courageous in naming the name of Jesus despite the consequences.

Sometimes our worlds get turned upside down without a moment's notice. Just ask anyone who has suffered through natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey or Rita or Katrina. Ask anyone who has lost their home in a fire or tornado, had a loved one killed or die unexpectedly, or were told they had a terminal illness.

In those critical times, it's imperative to know how to let go of our own personal perceptions and the reliance on our own senses and abilities. In those desperate times, we can only trust fully in the ironclad, rock-solid promises of God to pull us through.

And, please, intercede daily on behalf of those hundreds of thousands of Americans who have seen their worlds shattered in the last few days. Pray for their safety, their restoration, and their personal peace and sanity during these horrific times. And don't forget to pray for the protection of the thousands of rescuers who are risking their own lives to save others.

If you are able, support the reputable and trusted relief organizations and ministries who are standing in the gap to help.

God bless."

HL Ministries   Sept. 1, 2017

Edited by Linda Garren

TexasTom    716

I'm in Austin area. We still saw quite a bit of heavy rains that caused creeks to swell with flash floods, washing houses down stream. Thankfully we are on a slight rise, so winds are a concern, but if we flood it means 95% of Austin is underwater.

Been working with rescues in getting displaced cats and dogs to new shelter.

Lots of rebuilding to be done.

Flood insurance is underwritten by FEMA and only sold to those who live in a 1 in 100 year flood plain. As mentioned earlier this is a 1 in 1000 event, so many homes outside the 1 in 100 year flood plane didn't have flood insurance. Basically if you are flooded 4' in depth, flood insurance covers up to that 4' mark. Anything damaged above 4' is wind damage, which is a different policy, has to be itemized as such. Between earthquakes, tornado's, and floods... floods are the worst as the first two are over after an hour and you can start. With floods it is a different game as nothing really to pick up so that first week is pure exhaustion.

Linda Garren    747

So, so sad. Glad to hear you and the Mrs. are high enough that you escaped the flooding.

So glad to hear a new shelter was made for all of the displaced cats and dogs.  Thanks for helping out with that.

Linda Garren    747

Harvey and Irma, Married 75 Years, Marvel at the Storms Bearing Their Names (NY Times, h/t: AB)

“Harvey and Irma Schluter have been married for 75 years. He turned 104 in July; she will be 93 in November…They vividly remember many of the major events of the 20th century, from her first time spotting an airplane, during the Great Depression, to his wonder at watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon. In a recent phone interview, Mrs. Schluter even recalled the weather near her home in Spokane, Wash., on the day that President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. (Cool and cloudy.) But never before have they seen two major hurricanes bearing their names threaten the United States.”

Nick Note: Look at this picture of Irma compared to Hurricane Andrew. Here are 24 shocking pictures of the damage Irma has done thus far. 60 percent of Puerto Rico is without power. 95 percent of St. Martin is destroyed. Irma is expected to reach South Florida by Saturday. Officials have already issued a hurricane watch. People in parts of three Florida counties faced mandatory evacuation orders Thursday. Officials in two other counties issued voluntary orders to leave in advance an Irma landfall. Here are all the records Irma has broken thus far. Last night, all 5 living former US presidents came together to announce a fundraising effort for Harvey relief. Watch the short video here. Natural disasters show no favoritism when causing their harm but they do bring about abundant levels of humanitarianism when they pass. In a peculiar twist, the worst brings out the best. Today and this weekend, as you watch the storm, would you pray for those in Irma’s path? I’m praying for safety, resources, my responsibility in the aftermath, and for ears to hear the Lord’s voice in the midst of the storm.

Denison Forum 9/2/17