helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
noah

traveling with pd

I am going out to Arizona in few weeks(6 hr ride)

Does anyone have any tips that have worked for them

Noah- hope all is well....

Take meds in prescription bottles only- don't separate them.

go on TSA website and print out medical condition card- I'm hoping I can use it to avoid taking off my shoes in security 

disability_notification_card_508.pdfHappy travels!!

LAD

I was going to bring 2 pill boxes and leave the bottles @ home.  So I have to have the   pills in the bottles 

Yes with prescriptions on the bottle.  I kept mine in a clear plastic Baggie in my carry on 

Edited by LAD
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2017 at 7:07 PM, LAD said:

go on TSA website and print out medical condition card- I'm hoping I can use it to avoid taking off my shoes in security 

disability_notification_card_508.pdfHappy travels!!

LAD

Investing in TSA Pre Check is worth it if you will travel much. Leave shoes on etc.  Not sure the private screening will be easier or less painful than PreCheck. For what it is worth.

DB 

• Thanks 1

I agree with what others have said.  And wear the bracelet during travel.  I also carry a "to whom it may concern" letter from my neuro, just a couple of sentences saying that I have Parkinsons and these are the meds I'm on.  I traveled to Ecuador two years ago with that letter with the thought that one never knows what the customs people may confiscate and so I'd need to get to a pharmacy and doctor to renew the prescriptions.  That won't happen in Arizona :-) but I still carry this letter even for just a road trip to the next state.  Just a precaution in case of anything your imagination can dream up. 

well i survived my trip.  I went to Arizona to see the grand canon. It was breath taking if you ever get a chance to go do it.

I did pretty well our plane left @ 600 am (from Boston)so I was up @ 430 usually I get up at 630 so I had to take my meds earlier.  I was good to go until around 2pm was off and had o take more sinemet. Luckly my husband was driving so i didnt have to worry about shaking in public(one of my fears)Then the following AM I started my reg schedule. 

The flight home we left @ 12:45. I stuck to the schedule I had been doing and was really off @ 3.  I took extra sinemet and was good until 2 AM(we had a 5 hr drive to get home)

I didnt fall (had a few close calls but never fell)

So all in all it was a great trip thanks to our lord jJesus Christ!!

Excellent!  Glad to hear it went reasonably well.  And I agree, the Grand Canyon is breathtaking.  

My dad was out visiting last weekend.  One thing we discussed was that he would like to hike the Grand Canyon again sometime while he still can.  Last time he did that was probably 30+ years ago when he did a quick hike down, and then back up the same trail the next morning with his BIL.  I hiked the canyon with a friend and a couple of his friends probably 12 years ago.  That one was a 3 day hike where we went followed this itenerary, though we went the opposite direction.  

We started scheming about possibilities of doing a hike together in 2019.  Currently thinking maybe do 3 generations of family men for the hike as my oldest boy will be nearly if not 13 by then (the younger boy would be far to young at 7.5 by then).  I'd be not quite 42 and my dad would be 72.  Not that any of the women would be unwelcome, just that I know my mom wouldn't do that hike regardless, and she'd probably want someone to keep her company.  

That would be awesome if you could hike at the canyon.  There are so many places to  choose from. I was able to hike a few with the help of my walking sticks and help from my husband and daughter.  i have DBS implants and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was. My biggest concern was falling came close a few times but didnt fall. So it was a good timed!!

• Like 1

I would really like to try doing a North Rim to South Rim hike.  I think that is nominally a 3 day hike.  Might be 4 days, not sure.  But, I'd have to see how strenuous of a hike that will be, and see if everyone can hack it.  My dad is pretty active, but he is 70, and he had 5 stents put in about year ago.  I certainly don't want to put him in any medical danger with a hike like this.  My son will be with a couple weeks +- of turning 13 when we'd do this hike, so I'll also have to mindful of his capabilities.  If he just plumb can't do the hike, whether because of a lack of physical toughness or mental toughness, then that will make it unfun for the rest of us.  Plus I have to be mindful of my own issues.  I don't have balance problems (yet), but PD doesn't enhance one's ability to do things like that.  I'm getting into progressively better physical condition, and by May/June 2018, let alone 2019, I should be in plenty good enough cardiovascular shape.

Glad to hear it went well Noah!

Grand Canyon is on my list! I think there's a trip to Nashville first - do some dancing!!

LAD

2 hours ago, noah said:

Nashville is on my list too.  

Nashville is incredible if you like live music. The artists you can see in bars on music row for FREE will blow your mind. People playing for what they can get in tips passing around a hat are better than you will PAY for in any other city. It's nuts, but really fun.

37 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

Nashville is incredible if you like live music. The artists you can see in bars on music row for FREE will blow your mind. People playing for what they can get in tips passing around a hat are better than you will PAY for in any other city. It's nuts, but really fun.

We love live music and will dance anywhere we find a spot. We tend to make our own dance floor if we need one. 

LAD

Last year we went to Hawaii and stopped in california for a few days. This year we went to Colorado for a week,

Many people Ive met in the PD community seem to like to travel.My father was a good example.He was always on the go and didnt let PD sto

My  myoclonus seems to flare up on tripsSleep changes Ive found bring it on.,Airports can be embarrassing when your in those moves,lol

I f i do have problems I usually tell the staff that I have PD which causes them,never been jerked off a plane,lol

Whatever your trip plans are dont let PD stop you.

DR.Low said we thrive on our hopes dreams and wishes.

I do though seem refreshed more when Im visiting my grand kids and family