helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeNW

Coffee intake triggers shaking

Hello fellows,  
I started noticing link between coffee intake and overall shakiness in my body. In mornings  few minutes after  coffee i starting to shake(arms,legs,neck) and have overall feeling of light tremors. Main difference from regular tremors is that it's affecting all my body. This shaking last around 1-2 hours.  In contrast green tea doesn't trigger any reaction and give me feeling of energy boost. When i skip coffee all above symptoms are gone and i have regular days with few periods of hand tremors and general right side stiffness.

How does coffee affects your PD symptoms?

Do eat breakfast? And do you take any meds (Carbidopa/Levodopa)?  I find that what I eat and when I eat also affect my overall shakiness.  Coffee and certain foods seem to interfere with the absorption of the meds.

Hello GeorgeNW,

I noticed that coffee was horribly exacerbating my dyskinesias, so I decided to switch to decaf.  That helped tremendously.  To me, it appeared that the caffeine was the culprit.

Mihai

Caffeine in coffee is a central nervous system stimulant,people metabolize caffiene differently depending on the quantity consumed.Some people who don't have PD get hyper, shake all over when they consume too much coffee.The confusing thing is that in some studies carried out among PWP and non PD people, who drank coffee ,they found out that heavy coffee drinkers were not likely to have deveoped PD.In other words,there is something in caffeine that might have prevented the development of PD.I guess more studies needs to be done in this area.Maybe a little coffee can slow down PD progression.