helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
TexasTom

Finally sleeping about 8 hours - just amazing

I've been through a couple of sleep studies, basically it was commented "Parkinsons" related sleep disorder.

CPAP to keep the oxygen levels up (I have central apnea and obstructive apnea events).

Tried Clonezapam -- felt like I was in a fog for 24 hours afterwards. Hopefully everyone is away of long term issues with using that stuff, as it is meant as a short term (one to two week)

For me no issue falling asleep, but often I'd wake up after four to five hours and couldn't get back to sleep.

Silenor  (doxepin) is helping. 3mg or 6mg does, and with my 240# size the 6mg seemed to be most effective. I've been on it for four weeks, pretty good nights sleep for about the last few weeks. It took about two weeks to become effective.

• Like 1

I hear a healthy dose of Franklin's BBQ helps......:D       I have been doing well on CPAP for a couple years but lately have started waking after about 5-6 hours.  Wonder if a dose of sinemet before bed might help?  

Hi, DB.  I think you might find the dose of sinemet to help you sleep longer.  I try to stretch out my doses so that my last dose is around 11:00pm or 12:00am , and if I wake up 5 or so hours later, I take another dose, and it almost always works to help me get back to sleep.  I'm finding that more and more if I wake up long after my last dose of the day, I start to get that strange thing of feeling like I have to tense all my muscles, and it's awful.  Do you know the sensation I mean?  It's like having restless legs, but all over.

I love your avatar!

Edited by Linda Garren

Hi, pdman.  I'm sorry to hear you have that odd restless leg all-over issue, too.  It's awful, isn't it. 

I try to not take more than 4 doses a day, and I try to space them so that my last dose is between 11:00pm and midnight.  Sometimes that will take me through a good night's sleep.  Those times when it doesn't, I may take another dose at around 4:00 or 5:00 am and then can go to sleep again for a few hours.  Depending on when I get up, I may consider that 4:00 or 5:00 dose as the first dose of that new day, and take my regular first dose at a later time in the morning, thus planning my whole day's dosages on that new start time.

I don't know if that is clear or not.  I'm not sure it's even clear to me. :-)

Some days my dosing schedule works perfectly for me, but other times I can forget to take the dose after turning off the timer and resetting it for the next dose.  This has been happening a lot lately, as my mind is trying to go in too many directions, and I can't successfully multi-task like I used to.  

So, in answer to your question, I'm flying by the seat of my pants, so to speak!  Each day is an adventure in Medicine Land.  :-)   There are some days I take five doses, and there are some days I wake up and find that there are one or two doses that I didn't take and didn't realize it.  So some days I may have had only three or so doses.  I just do the best I can at this point, which obviously is pretty scatter-brained...  I think I may not be as affected as some are when extra time happens between doses.  I can feel the effects, but not enough that it causes huge problems...

• Like 1

I am in the transition from Sinemet to Rytary so we will see how it impacts  sleep patterns in the next few weeks.   For the most part to date I wake up stiff on the side I sleep on-- CPAP allows me to sleep well with little movement.  I have gotten some leg jitters from time to time before sleep if I watch TV in bed (Myclonic?).  

Linda, my avatar is temporarily  a tribute to the venerable F-4 Phantom II  I had the pleasure of flying early in career #1.