Jump to content
helplinedonate
  • Announcements

    • ForumAdmin

      Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

      Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

      Recursos Nuevos en Español

      http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

      Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

      Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

CBD Oil--Does This Work?

Recommended Posts

Does CBD Oil work for anyone's Parkinson symptoms, be they physical or anxiety? If so, is there a place to look on line for information about what it contains and what it works for? I haven't ever tried it, or even seen it, but I've heard that it is good for these symptoms in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill there have been many discussions in this forum about CBD oil. If those discussions don't shed any light on your question I hope others will respond. It is always good to revisit these subjects.

Edited by pdmanaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I have now read through some of the earlier discussions. Yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a 30ml bottle of the non-THC oil. Where I live, the THC kind is illegal. I can't really tell if the non-THC is legal or not. Everyone says it is legal, but I am not personally sure about that. Regardless, I'm going to give the non-THC a try. Due to my DLB, it would be a terrible for me to use the THC type, at least in my opinion. I just hope the non-THC version offers some help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/16/2017 at 4:48 PM, BillBRNC said:

Thanks. I have now read through some of the earlier discussions. Yesterday, I went ahead and ordered a 30ml bottle of the non-THC oil. Where I live, the THC kind is illegal. I can't really tell if the non-THC is legal or not. Everyone says it is legal, but I am not personally sure about that. Regardless, I'm going to give the non-THC a try. Due to my DLB, it would be a terrible for me to use the THC type, at least in my opinion. I just hope the non-THC version offers some help.

I'll add that I have found vaporizing CBD oil to be FAR more effective than the standard drops under the tounge. 

I bought one of the portable vaporizers that the folks vaping nicotine e-juice use. 

The flavored CBD oils (blueberry is my favorite) are pretty tasty when vaporized.  I mix it 50/50 with nicotine-based e-juice for added effect.  (Some studies find nicotine beneficial in PD treatment)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband (has had PD for 12 years) began using MM (THC:CBD 1:1 Tincture) at night. He started it for his back pain (hasn't helped much) but an added benefit was that he sleeps much better and his tremor is less. He tried CBD alone but it wasn't as effective for the sleep and tremor so he has gone back to the 1:1 Tincture. He only takes it at night before he goes to bed because of the concerns about driving that others have mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been trying a little Mucuna Pruriens along with cbd oil.  MP definitely helps my tremor a bit, cbd not sure yet.  I live in PA and medical marijuana won't happen until 2018.  Can I ask

what was a good cbd oil for vaping (read a lot about companies that sell cbd oil without the amount of cbd they advertise etc).  Also I just need a regular vape for e liquid and special cbd oil made for vaping, right?

when using cbd from cannibus any luck with 20:1 cbd/thc levels?

hoping to avoid getting on meds if possible at least for a while.  Trying to learn as I go.

thanks,

mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Mark5151 said:

I have been trying a little Mucuna Pruriens along with cbd oil.  MP definitely helps my tremor a bit, cbd not sure yet.  I live in PA and medical marijuana won't happen until 2018.  Can I ask

what was a good cbd oil for vaping (read a lot about companies that sell cbd oil without the amount of cbd they advertise etc).  Also I just need a regular vape for e liquid and special cbd oil made for vaping, right?

when using cbd from cannibus any luck with 20:1 cbd/thc levels?

hoping to avoid getting on meds if possible at least for a while.  Trying to learn as I go.

thanks,

mark

Mark I've noted in other posts that my belief regarding MMJ is this. MMJ as a supplement to C/L is the best way to approach self medicating, which is what you are doing, when using MMJ. C/L replaces the lost dopamine in your head, MMJ does not. Replacing the dopamine is critical to function. Trying not to take prescribed PD meds is a lost cause. Remember not everyone taking C/L developes dyskenisia. Ive read the older you are when you get PD lessens the chances of developing dyskenisia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pdmanaz said:

 C/L replaces the lost dopamine in your head, MMJ does not. Replacing the dopamine is critical to function. Trying not to take prescribed PD meds is a lost cause. Remember not everyone taking C/L developes dyskenisia.

All we are doing with any of these meds is treating symptoms.  None have been shown to alter disease progression.  Therefore, which drug you take (C/L, Mirapex, Amantadine, medical marijuana, or anything else) is totally irrelevant.  The only thing that is important is to alleviate the symptoms with minimum side effects. 

I took medical marijuana for an entire year and found it to be a better drug than C/L.  It treated more symptoms for me than C/L and had no side effects.  Having said that, I am now taking C/L because of the legal and practical implications of taking marijuana. 

I do think pdmanaz is correct that blending C/L with MM is a good strategy.  If you suddenly end up in the hospital or need to take a cross country trip, taking C/L will allow you to stay treated, even if you have to temporarily increase the dose of C/L.  The rest of the time, you could take some minimal level of C/L and the MM could do its job without risking the side effects of C/L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't get mmj yet, but going to try things patriot's way.  Right now taking mucuna pruriens instead of c/l since my doc has not prescribed that yet, and not sure what to believe about c/l and increasing dosage over time (whether the illness is just progressing or taking it affects your body in a way that it changes to need more and more).  My doc prescribed the drug that has that side effect of falling asleep while driving and I hated that one right away and stopped taking it.  For now going to try that other suggestion and get into vaping cbd hemp oil, figure it couldn't hurt.  Just need to learn how to vape, I was never a smoker and only tried smoking mmj a few times.

my tremors are just on my left arm so a little mp quiets it a bit and I can deal with it. Plus taking no prescription meds which is probably good?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/29/2017 at 8:35 AM, Mark5151 said:

Can't get mmj yet, but going to try things patriot's way.  Right now taking mucuna pruriens instead of c/l since my doc has not prescribed that yet, and not sure what to believe about c/l and increasing dosage over time (whether the illness is just progressing or taking it affects your body in a way that it changes to need more and more).  My doc prescribed the drug that has that side effect of falling asleep while driving and I hated that one right away and stopped taking it.  For now going to try that other suggestion and get into vaping cbd hemp oil, figure it couldn't hurt.  Just need to learn how to vape, I was never a smoker and only tried smoking mmj a few times.

my tremors are just on my left arm so a little mp quiets it a bit and I can deal with it. Plus taking no prescription meds which is probably good?

I use a SMOK OSUB vaporizer. Very newbie friendly and costs around $50.  I fill the tank with 50/50 mix of Mt Baker's "Thug Juice" and Green Garden CBD oil (the Silver 300 blend)

I set the vaporizer @ 20W and it produces a very smooth vape. I puff on it all day. Good for non-smokers with glass lungs, like myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • I just tried some today that is 0%THC.  It is oderless and tasteless (like me).   I feel great already at only a half drop.  I reduced my C/L by 1/3 just because I feared taking too much in combination.   I think I am going to like this 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for more feedback, I purchased a vape from thekindpen.com and got a cbd oil cartridge and some cbd oil that I use to fill the cartridge.  Verdict is still out on:

- does vaping cbd work better than using under the tongue?

- does cbd from hemp, without any thc work in general?

worst case senario I think cbd helps with anxiety, inflammation and health.  I do think it helps with my tremors (but just a little)

wish pa would hurry up with making medical marijuana an option!

im still not on any prescription drugs and would love to know if it's possible to not use prescription drugs, all this shaking is really getting annoying.

thanks and best wishes go out to everyone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Murray,

Where did you purchase the CBD oil from?

  • I just tried some today that is 0%THC.  It is oderless and tasteless (like me).   I feel great already at only a half drop.  I reduced my C/L by 1/3 just because I feared taking too much in combination.   I think I am going to like this 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it has been a tad over a month that I've been taking non-THC stuff. During the first week, I noticed an almost immediate benefit in numerous problem areas for me. Don't know if I was really responding or just convincing myself that I was getting a benefit. Regardless, I kept on taking it. Over the course of the past month, I've lost some of the super benefit that I thought I was getting during the first week, but the fact remains that a noticeable level of improvement has persisted. My doctor wife is even a believer, more than I am truth be known. With the passage of a month, I find that I can no longer remember what things were like before I starting taking it, so I guess my wife would be a better judge of effectiveness. I have Dementia with Lewy Bodies, so I am looking for more than help with my Parkinson symptoms. I really need help with the anxiety, agitation, anger issues, autonomic nerve deficiencies,  and many other non-movement type things. I think/hope that the CBD oil is helping, at least I desperately need help and the many current meds I'm taking for the DLB are doing a whole lot of good, other than the Sinemet seems to work quite well. I'have had to reduce the Sinemet dosage due to it further messing up my cognitive problems, but the dosage I'm on still does enough to take care of most of the muscle, joint, walking, balance, jerking and such. Unfortunately, I also get jerking and balance from the DLB problems, so it is hard overall to really know much of anything. I have ordered a new supply of the CBD oil. I simply can't take the THC version due to my cognitive issues. Good luck to us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought these links would beneficial  in understanding what CBD oil is and the best you can buy.

https://healthyhempoil.com/hemp-cbd-vs-cannabis-cbd/

https://ministryofhemp.com/made-from-hemp/cbd/reviews/

Also a list of the best Cannabis for PD

https://cannabis.net/blog/medical/top-5-cannabis-strains-for-parkinsons-disease

https://www.leafly.com/explore/conditions-parkinsons

 

Edited by pdmanaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drummergirl-you can go to Charlottes Web website and order but I've found good deals on Charlottes Web CBD oil on ebay.  It's available in different strengths and either olive oil or chocolate mint flavors.  There's many other brands but I've stuck with Charlottes Web because it seems to have a good reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×