helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Dancing Bear

Shifting subjects....who has cut the cable cord?

Need some help from those more enlightened than myself on this topic.  Trying to reduce my costs of living in the cable department.  I am on Cox Cable but would like to trim back cable expenses.    Does anyone use Roku, Slingbox?, Apple TV etc.  There is a wide array of equipment no doubt.   We watch movies and content on some of the premium channels as well as Netflix and Amazon.  My wife like her programming on the regular channels but also likes to save programs to DVR while we are traveling so that has become a hardcore  "requirement".   

Anyone care to share their battle with the cable cord? If you use one of the streaming devices please share the positives and negatives as well.

Thanks in advance!

DB

We had Time Warner Cable until the bill got to about $150 per month.  We switched to Direct TV (which started at $80 per month) and they kept raising the bill until it was about $177 per month.  We did not have the expensive sports or movie packages with either of these services.  It was absolutely RIDICULOUS!

So, we switched to a local internet service that charges $25 per month and bought Roku for TV.  With Roku, we bought the Playstation Vue channel, which is about $35 per month.  The Playstation Vue channel gives us all the basic channels plus some sports channels.  We already have Amazon Prime because we order a lot of stuff online.  Being a member of Amazon Prime gives you a LOT of movies, TV series, and much more at no additional charge.  There is no extra charge to have all these channels on up to 5 devices (you just need to buy additional Roku devices at about $30 a pop).  Best of all, there is no contract with any of this and we can change what we subscribe to each month.  We can also cancel any or all of this at any time.  I REALLY like it!

I don't DVR programs, so I couldn't really comment on that.  Most of the shows seem to be already saved to the cloud.

In my opinion, Cable TV is going to go the way of the contract cell phone carriers.  We were paying about $160 per month for cell phones for my wife and I through Sprint (and their service sucked big time).   Now we pay about $80 per month for much better service with no contract or commitment!

Edited by PatriotM

We dropped cable and watching a lot of Netflix as well as YouTube. We have internet through a cable company and because if all the band width we use our bill is about $80 a month. We get a few local channels of over the air. Add till paying premium for smartphones though.

Thanks for the info posted so far.  I am researching the different boxes right now (Roku etc) and have found several useful comparisons online through the magic of Google.  Roku seems to be the best for content selection ala carte. Still pursuing a DVR option to record programs.There is definitely some opportunity to save money.

I will always have Cox for the internet service alone and may transfer my local phone service to Cox to save about 45.00/month from what I pay now.  I could go cel phone only if I can convince my partner.......

DB

The really good news is that the new devices, like Roku, are dirt cheap and there is no contract for services like PSVue.  So, we kept our Direct TV while we were trying out Roku.  If Roku hadn't worked out, we would still have had our traditional TV service and been out very little by trying Roku.  After a month of Roku, we were very pleased with the service and we cancelled our Direct TV.