helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
LAD

Nupro patch vs mirapex

Can you tell me the difference in nupro patch & mirapex? I currently take mirapex with no side effects but am considering a clinical trial that would put me on the patch. 

LAD,

Neupro and Mirapex both fall in the medication class of Dopamine Agonists. The main difference is that Neupro is a patch which is changed once a day and Mirapex is an oral medication that is usually taken up to three times a day.

With that in mind, their side effects and actions will be similar. The only difference will be in medication interactions. Since Neupro is absorbed trough the skin directly into the blood stream, you will not have to worry about medications interacting in the liver. The Neupro patch bypasses the stomach breakdown, absorption, and metabolization in the liver that oral medications go through.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

LAD,

Neupro and Mirapex both fall in the medication class of Dopamine Agonists. The main difference is that Neupro is a patch which is changed once a day and Mirapex is an oral medication that is usually taken up to three times a day.

With that in mind, their side effects and actions will be similar. The only difference will be in medication interactions. Since Neupro is absorbed trough the skin directly into the blood stream, you will not have to worry about medications interacting in the liver. The Neupro patch bypasses the stomach breakdown, absorption, and metabolization in the liver that oral medications go through.

LAD,

I am glad I could help you and if you need anything else please let me know.

I'm putting it on hold for now....I'm doing well and don't want to mess with things.

Thanks!

LAD

Edited by LAD

Miracle,

I have been asked that question many times and my answer is that not all molecules can be made into a patch form due to their size or molecular orientation. I would love to see all long acting medications, not just PD medications, into a patch form because you would get better patient compliance. Unfortunately, as I stated above, it just can't be done.

2 hours ago, MComes RPH said:

LAD,

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

Keep me posted.

My MDS said the same thing when I talked with her about the trial.

Have a good day.

LAD

LAD,

Even though your MDS and I think the same way about this study does not necessarily mean you should not try other clinical trial study. You can find other trial studies on this website, Mayo clinic, Parkinson Disease Foundation, Michael J. Fox Foundation, parkinsontrial.ninds.hih.gov, and many more.

I am glad you have found a medication that works this well for you. Many PD patients have to try several medications before the can find one that takes care of most of the symptoms.

1 hour ago, MComes RPH said:

LAD,

Even though your MDS and I think the same way about this study does not necessarily mean you should not try other clinical trial study. You can find other trial studies on this website, Mayo clinic, Parkinson Disease Foundation, Michael J. Fox Foundation, parkinsontrial.ninds.hih.gov, and many more.

I am glad you have found a medication that works this well for you. Many PD patients have to try several medications before the can find one that takes care of most of the symptoms.

Absolutely.  I have already done a few but they did not involve any medicine.  They were observational only.  One is long term - once a year.   Honestly, I think my exercise regimen is just as important in mangaging my symptoms as my meds.

LAD

Absolutely. Keeping active, while you still can, is so very important to keep the symptoms to a minimum. 

Walking is actually one of the best exercises a person with PD can do. Even doing one step more today than what you did yesterday is progress, that is true with any person at any age.

• Thanks 1