helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Superdecooper

Goodbye to Caffeine for a while - ET

Hi Gang

Looks like I might be saying goodbye to my morning cup of coffee (caffeine). I'm noticing a big uptick in Essential Tremor in my hand while I'm slurping down a cup of morning joe. Maybe I can try decaf, but that never seemed to taste as good in the past. Yikes, I really didn't connect caffeine with my hand twitching in the morning, but I'm starting to pay more attention now.

Also, I hardly ever drink any soda (maybe 2wice a week at lunch) because it's a little too sweet, plus there are caffeine free sodas available even if I did. I usually have iced tea, but there are decaf versions of that. 

Also, I really am going to have to up my gym time.

-S

Hi, Scoop.  Those are good things to test out.  I'm hoping for your sake that stopping your morning cup of coffee won''t help!  :-)   It's one of the nicest things in life to wake up to and to start the day with.  Decaf does retain a little bit of caffeine in it.  I have a friend who is so sensitive to caffeine  that she can't even drink decaf.  Another friend recently gave me a few kinds of Folger's coffee to try out. but it was like there wasn't even any caffeine in it.  No jolt at all.  Maybe you could try that and see if it might work for you?  You'd still get to enjoy a cup of coffee, and there has to be some caffeine in it somewhere that may give you just a slight lift? 

I'm really hoping Microsoft's Emma Watch will come on the market soon.  It works to still the tremor enough to be able to use your hand again. 

Thanks Linda,

My hand is operating is at the intersection of annoying and interfering. 

Im so willing to give up coffee if it means I don’t have to be reminded about ET first thing in the morning because I almost drop my cup. I will try herbal tea for a few days and see if the near accidents go away. 

I also read another auggestin from someone about adjusting Microsoft Word so it doesn’t pick up extra keystrokes. I heard you can do that with a mouse too. That would be pretty helpful. I also have to check out Dragon Naturally Speaking Dictation program. It’s a speech to text program. Has anyone had any good experiences with that? 

Trying to put ye pieces in place to keep working while decreasing my frustration level. Right now when I shake to much I just put my phone in my pocket and do something else.  

Also, i saw the Emma watch and it looks cool. My neurologist suggested I try 2lbs wrist weights also. 

-s

• Like 1

Might be good to taper off both??  You might crash otherwise...:o

Have you tried firmly holding your writing hand's wrist with your other hand?  It might help both hands shake less as you write.

You may also want to look on line or in a medical supply store for something that you could wear on your wrists that may help lessen the tremor.

Sometimes I get very, very frustrated at mistyping the keys on my laptop, or spilling coffee, and on and on....  I often have gotten so angry about it when it happens.  I've been asking the Lord to forgive me for that, and I thank Him for all the blessings that He has given me and for continuing providing for and loving me.  It makes me ashamed I got so upset.  I calm down, put my situation in His hands and continue on (still spilling things, but gradually finding ways to prevent the spills--or trips or falls or not being able to recall a word I need, not having enough energy for things,....and on and on).  Its all in His hands and part of His plan for us, and I believe He uses or will use these things we go through for good when we trust Him. And who knows...that good may be for someone other than ourselves, and so then we can be thankful to have been used to help someone else.  To a non-believer, this may not be able to be understood, but to those of us who have followed the Lord in life and have asked that His will be done in our lives and that He use us for His service, it's a great encouragement.and comfort, as well as an honor.  :-)

Linda

P.S.  Setting your computer to be less sensitive to the keys is helpful, but then you may find you often have to go back and correct things that you thought you typed hard enough but didn't.  You might have to work with the adjustment until it is at a setting that works for you. 

Thanks for the suggestions Linda.

I just noticed a definite upswing in the tremors when I eat chocolate or drink coffee. Man. I love chocolate. and i'm fond of coffee, but honestly, i could live without it and often do whenever I'm home alone.

You are definitely in a better spiritual place with dealing with your health problems than I am. I will get there, i think, but I've got some work to do. And some alone time to think things through. I'm not of much use to anyone else yet, but who knows what the future holds. I certainly didn't see Essential Tremor in my future.

Meanwhile, I am enjoying my efforts to distract myself with music and with taking my wife out on the weekends. Last weekend we went to the Newseum in DC, which is a museum dedicated to news.. The exhibit of the Pulitzer prize winning photos was extraordinary. So was the exhibit of all the daily newspaper front pages... very interesting to see how the same story is told differently in other cities.  We also went out to see the movie, A mountain between us -- it was a date movie, but an okay diversion. I also ahve a good book I'm reading by Lee Child called "the night school." It's a Jack Reacher mystery.. easy reading. And I'm working on Mozart's Piano Concerto in A major, K488, 2nd movement. So that is keeping me from concentrating on my hands and my spine.

I'm also thankful for this forum and the people on it. Definitely making my life more tolerable right now. 

-S

Edited by Superdecooper

If you start drinking decaf, go with water processed.  Apparently the chemicals used in removing the caffeine are nasty.  Who knows if they are bad for PD brain cells, but why take a chance.  Here in Maryland, it's easy to find Zeke's coffee - their decaf is excellent!

Thanks I will look that up.

I've never heard of zekes, I will check my local Giant Foods or Weis or Wegmans.

I had some plantation mint tea yesterday, it was great. But black teas have 1/2 the caffeine of coffee. Herbal teas have 0 caffeine but I haven't found one I like. 

-S

Edited by Superdecooper

https://www.stashtea.com/collections/new-arrivals   Stash Tea has wonderful flavors and comes in decaf, caffeine-free, and herbal.  (My favorite--and I highly recommend it--is their Ginger Peach tea.)  :-)  I think they are offering some delicious-looking fall teas, too.

Bigelow Teas are very tasty, too, and have many offerings of herbal teas (this particular one has chocolate in it, w/o caffeine):  https://www.iherb.com/pr/Bigelow-Girl-Scouts-Mint-and-Chocolate-Flavored-Herbal-Tea-20-Tea-Bags-1-46-oz-41-g/66527

jul--Thanks for the heads up re: Zeke's.

Linda

I've been addicted to coffee since age 16.   Once every year I go cold turkey to wean myself off the stuff.   But as soon as the weather gets cold I'm back on the hard stuff.    So I know how to quit.    My hand tremor is bad enough it's worth seeing what might happen without caffeine.   But I know that first week will be miserable.   For the first week it's a constant nagging headache that nothing will help.  Plus I'm so tired I fall asleep over my corn flakes.    Then at the end of the week I'm cured,  and swear never to drink the stuff again.   Which lasts until the next cold snap.  Propranolol 10mg twice daily seems to help somewhat with the tremor but not with my handwriting. 

kaypeeoh

Kaypeeoh,

You sound like Mrs. Supes. She can't go a day with out  coffee or she gets a headache. If she's not around, i forget to make it and have to remind myself in the afternoon that I havent had any yet. I looked for the Zeke's coffee that Linda Garren mentioned, but haven't found it at my local supermarket. I did try Mint tea, but i prefer tea in the afternoons, or after work sitting on my front porch. I've started drinking 1/2 cups of coffee in the morning...just so i can have a taste of coffee... eventually I think coffee is going to disappear from my diet entirely.

You sound like my wife.   Some kidney problems have forced her to stop all caffeine.    And she has no problems.   No headaches, no stupefying tiredness.  I on the other hand am on my third cup this morning.   And it's snowing.