helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
ncrocker

Big News?

Just got an email about a breakthrough in Parkinson's described here: http://flip.it/-WivkW. It is entitled Parkinson's breakthrough: New disease-causing mechanism found.

Anyone know what this means and if it really may be important? Thanks.

Twenty + years ago when my husband was diagnosed, his MDS in all sincerity told us that medication would eliminate any Parkinson's symptoms for five years and after that we wouldn't need to worry because there would be a cure.  I hope and pray that the cure is finally here--too late for my DH, but a welcome life changer for so many.

There has been talk back in the 1800's when it was first discovered. Do not take any stock in it, great if one day they do, but it has taken this long and still nothing. Hopefully one day not in my DH time, that they will crack it and truly find something. So far there is no positive cure.

EUREKA!!! this is a word I learnt as a science student in high school.It is not impossible for it to happen,for a cure to be found in our lifetime.When there is life there is hope they say.May GOD give us the strenght to continue to soldier on until it happens.When it happens,it will be a comprehensive cure for all stages of the disease.The signs are there,they are getting closer and closer.Some other disease that were incurable before has finally been cured.

My MDS estimated  at least 15-20 years for a new drug/cure for trials and FDA approval and then if it is too expensive the drug companies may not produce it since it will not get much  insurance company reimbursement interest (profits).   Can anyone provide a sanity check on this estimate?

Dancing Bear, remember scientists are working round the clock looking for cure globally,the cure might be found in other countries,which are not capitalist oriented,and the drugs might not be that expensive,so it will be within the reach of the average people.I am sure alot of people wouldn;t mind seeking the cure wherever it is available.

What diseases are curable now?   From my understanding there is a bigger focus on prevention than a cure for PD.   Every time someone says I think I'm on to something but please fund us so we can keep looking means give me about 25 years of gainful employment until I retire please.    Doctors seem to be more skeptical  than the average patient whenever something big and better is announced.  They must know something we don't.

Deadly diseases like Yellow fever,Malaria,Diptheria,Small pox, years ago were once incurable,but now curable.Arthritis of the hip and knees which were once incurable ,could now be eliminated by replacing the hip or knee through surgery.I can argue that great scientists like Einstein and Galileo did not seek  breakthroughs,to get rich or fame,they did it to seek more knowledge.As a researcher,your goal is to seek breakthroughs,upon breakthroughs.I believe,we still have true scientists out there,it may take sometime,but the goals will be met.The awareness about PD, is increasing everyday.Thank GOD for MJ FOX and M ALI (RIP).

• Like 1

I just can't put much faith in some undefined diety right now that has done nothing to ease the suffering of untold millions of humans over the eons suffering from whatever condition or disease might be relevant at the time.

I'll thank the science and scientists doing the work. IMHO some God has very little if any relevance in this.

Everything takes time.  The question is will you be around to witness a cure?  If MJF and Ali didn't have PD they wouldn't have cared as much.  No one does anything only out of the goodness of their heart.  Saints maybe but I haven't met any.   Nobel peace prize is a goal for many Scientists to achieve if they are the first to discover it.   I'm all for the competition from the Scientists around the world because we all win in the end.  But when?

Saw on the news this morning that "God bless America" was sung right before the Massacre in Las Vegas.  Just an observation.

Edited by miracleseeker

My father had PD also.He worked tirelessly wth his Parkinson grop.he traveled tomany places seeking information on PD.This was before the internet and most Parkinson Organizatons we have today.I think there is alot more hope today then in 1991 when he passed.

A doctor once spoke to our PD group once.her main thought was research is a very big pie.Unfortuantly she said to little is being spent where the cure might lie.

One thing that will help many is a better standard of care for those who now have PD.The proper care would extend our lives and help reduce disability this disease can bring.

Ive seen to often patients needlessly lacking proper exercise diet and drug savy.

If I was the doctor believe me my patients would be so busy staying well.lol

Dr.Low who found the cure for the nervous aliment many years ago had a great saying.

We have to make life a business not a game Business is geared more for effort,games are geared for comfort. That sure is a great way of dealing with PD

Of course his best.Humor is your best friend ,temper your worst enemy.

My sister told me the other day I laugh alot.Once vertical why not chuckle

Six years now,no honeymoon  break yet.Still getting up and feeling good

Hope you all are to.

john

I have been trying to do some research , there are over 600 neurological disorders . Most are treatable but so far I haven't found any information on any of them being cured . I'm not saying it hasn't happened i'm saying I haven't found evidence of any cured . I will keep hoping there will one day be a cure or at least a better treatment but won't hold my breath !

Dan

• Like 1

I am cautiously optimistic. There are some VERY smart people doing state of the art research on PD (as well as other neurological disorders). Progress WILL be made. How timely will it be? Who knows? I think PD is a disease that will have much better treatments in the years ahead, but many of us here will not be able to benefit from said treatments.

I've been a nurse for over 45 years. The "gold standard" when I began nursing was sinemet. The gold standard today is...........A cure is out there but it seems as if every time we read about a study with promise, that's the last time we hear of it. I just believe we need to take matters into our own hands, each of us responds differently and our disease course is very individualized. Exercise and attitude are my additional treatments (Azilect and Metoprolol PRN are my meds). It works for now and the future will be what it is, although I'll keep trying to make it the best for as long as possible.

• Like 1