helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Alaska8925

Just Diagnosed

Hi,

I'm 35, married with 4 kids, I was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's roughly about a week ago. I can say it's been a really long and frustrating journey. I've likely been having signs and symptoms for around 6-7 years, been seen by several neurologist and doctors, with a lot of them saying that they just didn't know what's going on, and I'm too young to be having issues. It wasn't until I saw my current doctor who finally reviewed all my symptoms and history, and came through with the Parkinson's diagnosis. I have been put on sinemet 25/100, 3 times a day, and my symptoms have been better, the muscle stiffness isn't as bad, and my tremors have decreased. I am still dealing with speech and swallowing issues, also not sleeping through the night/restlessness. Any tips or suggestions would be great!! 

Thanks!!

The beginning is tough even though it's not really the beginning. If you don't exercise regularly---start. There are lots of PD specific programs... Fund something you love to do. Exercise is one thing everyone agrees is beneficial for PD symptoms. There is a program called big & loud. It definitely targets speech & swallowing. 

There are some good relaxing techniques and yoga type music helps me. 

Welcome to the forum. Trust that you will be ok. Keep a journal on how you are feeling so you can tell your doctor. It helps to sort out things in terms of your meds. 

Good luck,

LAD

Welcome, Alaska8925, to the long and winding road. As you read these pages, you will see that there is much good to be found in life even after a Parkinson's diagnosis. Don't be afraid to ask questions. You may find yourself on an emotional rollercoaster as you adjust to your new life. Know that this is normal.

You might find comfort from a book by a fellow Alaskan, Peter Dunlap-Shohl, titled My Degeneration: A Journey Through Parkinson's. He also has a blog: http://offandonakpdrag.blogspot.com/

We will be here with you, sharing our experience, strength, and hope.

Dianne

• Like 1