helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
RNwithPD

Approved for DBS

I just received word today that the DBS team at Vanderbilt have approved me for DBS surgery. I am scheduled to meet Dr. Hamid M Shah, neurosurgeon, at the end of the month. If any of you have personal experience with this surgeon - good or bad - I would appreciate you sending me a message to let me know, as I don't know anything about him.

I have been reading a lot about DBS and weighing the risk-benefit ratio. A couple of good books on the subject are: DBS: A Patient Guide to Deep Brain Stimulation by Sierra M Farris, PA-C and Dr. Monique L Giroux, M.D.; and Parkinson's Disease: Diagnosis and Clinical Management by Stewart A. Factor and William J. Weiner.  They intend to do bilateral STN. I have to admit that I go back and forth on whether I should have the surgery or not. When my meds are working well, I think that I don't really need the surgery. Actually, I think I need this surgery like I need another hole in my head. And when they're not (and I'm standing in the back of the store unable to walk due to sudden dystonia in my leg and foot), I can't wait to have the surgery. If only I could see into the future and know exactly how it will affect me. I'm sure that those of you who have already had the surgery know all to well what I'm going through.

Anyways, just thought that I'd share where I'm at in my journey and hopefully get some feedback on the person who is most likely going to poking around in my brain.

Kevin

• Like 1

Don't have dbs if you are unsure if you need dbs. Dr okuns group don't necessarily recommend dbs if you are satisfied with meds as you can read in PDF. Some center like to persuade you to do dbs early than late. This is not very helpful given complications from dbs. Dbs come with a trade off usually with speech, balance, other emotional side effects like uncontrollable anger, depression etc etc. Only consider it when it's worth the trade off. Also consider doing 1 sided dbs as it will greatly reduce speech balance and other side effects. You may not need other side in your life time. My recommendation is Only do dbs when you really really really feel that have no other way around. Less is better with dbs or none if you can stay happy with just meds. You really don't need machine and holes drilled in your head unless you really have to.

Edited by waruna01

12 hours ago, waruna01 said:

Also read this Guide_to_DBS_Stimulation_Therapy.pdf

This link doesn't work.  Would you mind fixing it or reposting an entire web address?

Thanks,

Kevin

Never mind...I found it.  Thanks.

Edited by RNwithPD
Update