helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
BIGMAC

PROGRESSION

Hi to all you caregivers.  I'm visited this forum a couple of times a few years ago and just recently got back on so hello to everyone. My DH was dx'd almost 11 years ago with early onset PD (47 then now 58) Over the years we've been through the whole gamut of problems with this dastardly disease. I have been caring fulltime for DH now for 3 years  and I would estimate that he is somewhere in the latter part of Stage 4. (the dr agrees that he has advanced PD, but will not be more specific). 

He has been diagnosed with PDD and suffers a lot with delusions/hallucinations and episodic psychosis. After a recent bout of psychosis, I had to reduce all his meds leaving just Levadopa (24hr Duopa) and  Aricept, Seroque & Clonazepam at night. I finally got him settled from his agitation and although I've pretty much tweaked back  to his normal meds his motor function has not returned to where it was before this last episode .

I'm left wondering is this the new normal and it this the way most people progress at this stage? Do all patients eventually have to give up motor function to help control cognitive problems? I'd appreciate your opinions either way. 

Edited by BIGMAC

Big Mac, 

At 74 my dad was diagnosed with PD.  A year later, after Mom died, I stepped into the caregiving role.  Looking back I can see that he had started to show signs of dementia.  Now he's been diagnosed with Lewy Body dementia.  His neurologist explained that dosing the Carb-Levo is a balancing act - more of it will help with movement but will also possibly increase the hallucinations.  Backing off of it can help keep hallucinations at bay but you sacrifice movement.

So to answer your question, yes it could be your new normal.  I don't think you can treat both problems completely; it's either or.  Fortunately dad doesn't have much trouble with movement so the focus is on his mental & behavioral issues.

Tammy

Edited by Clueless in TN
  • Like 1

Thanks for your very kind responses. Yes, every day is like a delicate see saw, balancing the meds to suit.We are adjusting to this new situation. I'm reluctant to increase the meds any more. The neurologist wants one thing the psychiatrist the opposite, both seeing it from their own perspective. Dh is stuck in the middle.