helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
LindaG

Nutrition interventions

Hi all - Just joined this forum specifically to participate in the nutrition forum, which I see is closed. Wondering what people are doing nutritionally and lifestyle-wise to support the meds and DBS interventions. I was diagnosed in 2011, had DBS in 2014, and am now eating a ketogenic diet, exercising, and using intermittent fasting to what feels like good effect. Any body else? 

Kathrynne Holden was the nutritionist. She now has a Facebook page titled Parkinson's - Chew on This. She is always very helpful.

Dianne

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Going well ncrocker.  I think the fat-based diet is helping me, and it makes keeping my weight at an optimal level much easier. I cycle the ketogenic part of my diet, being strict for a few days and then eating more complex carbs for a few days. Recently I have been focusing on sleep quality also, and improving my sleep hygiene seems to make a big difference in my day-to-day PD symptoms.  

I just had a lipid profile done. I will be meeting with my primary care physician in a couple of days. My HDL is 168! Apparently this is off the charts high. I wonder if it is linked to my keto diet.  Have you had unusually high HDL?

My HDL most recently was 75 which is also considered high.

However ... I'd recommend researching the subject of cholesterol (and statins) before you agree to take a statin. There are a couple of ratios that may make more sense to measure than absolute numbers when it comes to cholesterol (see Fat for Fuel by Dr Joesph Mercola). The ratios are triglycerides to HDL (should be under 2.0), and HDL to total cholesterol (should be above 24%). There seems to be quite a bit of disagreement on the topic of the role of cholesterol in the body, and I'd urge you to ask your doctor where he stands. Why is a high HDL considered bad? Is there any actual link between a high cholesterol number and heart disease? What is the trade off between a lower body weight (I have lost, and maintained, quite a bit of weight on my keto diet) and lower inflammation and a higher cholesterol? 

Good luck on this. Linda

Edited by LindaG
grammer

BTW, Linda - I don't understand your strategy - if you switch ti complex carbs every few days you are not in ketosis - so all you gain here is weight loss? According to what I read the main idea of the keto diet is to be in ketosis..

Natasha - Thanks for this older link. The tactic of switching in and out of ketosis is to achieve metabolic flexibility; that is, the ability to move between burning sugar and burning fat. This is where the health benefits lie. It’s just one prong of my lifestyle experiment. N= 1

Linda

Edited by LindaG
Grammer

LindaG,  As far as I understand it takes 2-3 days to enter ketosis , so if you change from fat to carbs and back you probably never achieve it? 

A friend of mine says her dyskinesia disappears when she is in ketosis so I want to check if it works for me...

Edited by Natasha Kogan

Sorry, it’s not every few days, it’s more like every other week or every 5 days. Best way to know for sure that you are in ketosis IMO is to get a ketone meter. Keep us posted on your experience ok?

Waruna01 - I have not heard of thripala - how do you take it? Dissolved in hot water? Where do you buy it? LindaG

I have been on a ketogenic diet since January 6, 2018. I feel much better than before - cognitively clearer, more energy and reduced dyskinesia. I have found most information about the diet in articles about the diet and children with epilepsy.The diet entirely stops the seizures of a significant number of children whose epilepsy is resistant to medication.

I just ran across an article that warns of an increase in selenium deficiency in children maintaining a ketogenic diet for epilepsy. See

Epilepsia. 2003 Apr;44(4):618-20.

Selenium deficiency associated with cardiomyopathy: a complication of the ketogenic diet.

Bergqvist AG1Chee CMLutchka LRychik JStallings VA.

Apparently, this can be very serious as a selenium deficiency can result in serious heart problems. I now take a daily multi vitamin that has lots of selenium just in case my diet doesn't provide enough.  I've also read that it's bad to get too much selenium. I have an appointment next week with a dietician and will ask her about all of this.

Although I am having a very good experience with the ketogenic diet, I hesitate  to encourage others with Parkinson's to try it because there just is not much research on it for Parkinson's patients. My neurologist told me that l am his first Parkinson's patient on the diet. 

Thank you ncrocker for this information. I eat three Brazil nuts every day for the selenium, you might find these a good natural supplement.

My two cents: if I wait for research to bear out everything I am trying, it will be too late. My attitude on this makes it difficult for my doctors and I to converse - they prefer empirical evidence! 

Thank you. I knew about Brazil nuts but didn't know how many to eat. There is so much to know about this diet! I am trying to decide whether or not to fast.  I haven't done this so far. LindaG and others on the keto diet, do you fast? How is fasting if you are taking medication? Do you fast for a whole day or just try to stretch out the time between meals?

ncrocker- I do fast, and am trying to do more of it. My daily window of eating is currently six to eight hours (usually 10 am to 6 pm). I try to consume only water on the 1st and 15th of each month. These fasts are focused on maintaining a healthy biome. 

I tried a five day fast last year but found it very difficult (wrote about it on www.thisthingwecallretirement.com). The reason I’d like to do a longer fast is for the benefits of autophagy. I’m currently reading Dr Valter Longo’s new book and hope to try his fasting mimicking diet soon.

I have never had nausea with my meds and continue to take them while fasting or eating. No issues. 

I'll have to learn more about autophagy.

This is an interesting and readable paper that helped me understand more about how/why the keto diet works: 

Our (Mother’s) Mitochondria and Our Mind

Peter Kramer, Paola Bressan

First Published September 22, 2017 Research Article

You're welcome.  Glad you liked it.  I wish I could find more like it.

I have an appointment with my dietician tomorrow.  I am excited about that.

There is a newer book out on this subject; I have not read it yet. Mitochondria and the Future of Medicine by Lee Know MD. Really looks interesting. I hope your meeting with the nutritionist is helpful.

Ahh, I'm falling behind with mitochondria subject   .. nkrocker , you r my only hope 😉

I met my nutr-st , it was interesting, but I spent half a day in Ikea and the other half fighting with my ..hmm.. gut

Planning to work on the menue and other details tomorrow, will share the new ideas (if i have any)

Tired. Sleeeeeeep!