helplinedonate
karunapod

Mucuna Extract vs Mucuna Whole Herb

I was formally diagnosed in 2011. Shortly after this occurred, because I have a 40 year background in natural medicine, I started to try various natural protocols that had been shown to be effective for some people with Parkinson's. One of the first approaches I tried was Mucuna. Within a month, I dropped this approach because it seemed to be doing nothing for me. Little did I know that it would not be many years before I found out that virtually all the Mucuna supplements in the states contained usually no more than 15-18% L-Dopa. This information made it easier to understand why I had experienced no success with it.
In 2016, I was contacted by a friend with Parkinson's who lives in Europe and had been taking Mucuna extract that was 98 - 99% L-Dopa. 
Roughly 3.5 years ago, I became so dysfunctional due to the symptoms of Parkinson's that I became almost bedridden for 2.5 years and 100% dependent on my wife for all daily activities. I took Mucuna extract at the 2.5 year point of being stuck in bed and in less than a week, I was out of bed and 98% independent.
I will say that again...
In less than a week, I was out of bed and 98% independent.

I started with 250 milligrams 4 x/day. Now, 1 year later, I take between 800 -1,000 milligrams 5x/day                                                                                                  and have been using that dosage for approximately 6 months.

Here's my concern...
There is much information online that states that long term use of Mucuna is safe. However, it is clear that the substance used in all of that exploration was the whole herb. I have not been able to find any information regarding long term use of Mucuna EXTRACT. 
                           ANY HELP WITH THIS EXPLORATION WOULD BE DEEPLY APPRECIATED!

This month I am starting a kind of an "alchemical" experiment. I have placed one pound of Mucuna whole herb from Banyan Botanicals into a gallon jar and  have filled it with the highest quality Vodka I could find here. I am not able to get grain alcohol where I live. I have placed the jar in a dark cupboard and am shaking it vigorously each day. After roughly three weeks, I will add my Mucuna whole herb "tonic" to the Mucuna extract each time I take it.

Edited by karunapod
typos

Hi Karunapod,

Better living through science experiments using yourself as a test subject, huh?. Wow, that's pretty brave. Why vodka and why one dropper of the exlixir ? And are you taking any big Pharma meds for PD, or have you stopped those entirely? 

Sounds fascinating.

-S

Hi K, I am curious to learn which Mucuna distributor you are using, the product details etc. I am on Mucuna 40% from a Canadian manufacturer. your alchemist experiment is interesting.

Hi Hercules...

Please send me an email at:
mday108 dot news at g mail dot com

and I will send you the contact info.

My wife just prepared the email a few minutes ago.

On 11/7/2017 at 12:27 PM, Superdecooper said:

Hi Karunapod,

Better living through science experiments using yourself as a test subject, huh?. Wow, that's pretty brave. Why vodka and why one dropper of the exlixir ? And are you taking any big Pharma meds for PD, or have you stopped those entirely? 

Sounds fascinating.

-S

Vodka because no grain alcohol where I live.
One dropper because this body of mine's so sensitive. Just starting there. Will probably titrate up quickly.
I was diagnosed 2011 and have ridden the wave without drugs (with the exception of cannabis) the whole time. 
I only took sinemet a half dozen times out of curiosity. Made me so sick each time I never went back.

There are a bunch of good books about mucuna p on amazon.  I have not heard about any long term concerns.  Usually it’s just a math problem on what dosage to take and how to factor in how much is getting to the brain (Carbidopa helps with sinemet and mp has something similar etc...)

im I newbie but hoping to just use mp and no other meds for tremors.

I just started experimenting on myself with MP. I’m newly diagnosed but have had tremor for over four years.  I got dyskinesia right after starting C/L. It gets bad as I go on and as I come off a dose. I’ve always been very sensitive to meds.  That runs in my family.  2 capsules of 333mg/ea velvet bean (guaranteed 15% L-dopa) lasted  me three hours on a good day in the morning. I felt completely normal for those hours. At 3 hours 22 minutes I got stiff and body shakes.

From all I’m reading in the forum, I’m getting very little actual l-dopa. But it worked. 

Hi Karunapod, I am interested in getting the mucuna extract with 98-99% L-dopa.Please share the source.Worried about side effects of Sinemet.

Hi Karunapod,       the nutrivitashop Mucuna powder, is it really 100% L-dopa as they claim?Did it work for you without the herb?Please confirm.I have tried some other brands which didn't work for me.Thanks again.

do you have a lab where we can have it assayed?
yeah...me either.
Work without the herb?
What on earth does that mean?
Regardless my experience,
how could I know what might work for you?
Tell me about something else you’ve tried
where someone guaranteed your results or...
guaranteed that what was stated about a product was true.

Hello everyone, 

I have also been using the Nutrivita Mucuna Pruriens (MP) powder for about 2 1/2 weeks now (bought it a while ago, but was hesitant to try it until I did hours of research about its efficacy and safety). My husband bought a scale and we measure out 100 mg into vegan capsules we also bought. (We joke about a future in pharmacy!) I had been taking one C/L 25/100 at 7 AM and 1 PM; .125 mg Pramipexole at 7 AM and around 8 PM; and often take .5 mg Lorazepam before bed if I'm having trouble falling asleep. So, I started by substituting my afternoon C/L with MP. It has been going well so far, and my left foot has stopped wanting to wiggle around like it did when I was just on the C/L. In the next few days, I'm planning to substitute the morning C/L also. I may add 1/2 C/L tablet to each dose help with the effectiveness. Overall, I feel fewer side effects, but the bradykinesia in my left hand/arm seems to be just slightly worse with the MP.  However, I realize I am on a very small dose of all of my medications and have room for improvement. Since I was only diagnosed in October 2017 (w/ symptoms since early 2016 at least), I'm trying to take it slow...my main objective in taking medications early on was to help with the "dark cloud" that had settled over me and to help me feel energetic enough to exercise regularly. 

Just a note: I was originally on just one 25/100 C/L in the morning and three .25 mg Pramipexole a day...but was retaining fluid and uncomfortable, hence the reduction in the Pramipexole. Like everyone has said, the medications affect everyone so differently, it really is trial and error. 

Overall, I figure the medications/supplements don't "cure" us anyhow, so I'm better off using whatever ones make me feel the best, have the least side effects, and may even be neuroprotective - there is some evidence of this for MP although not many studies have been done because it's a natural substance...not something big pharma can make a lot of money investing time on.  

I use my Theracycle for 40 minutes nearly every day, followed by stretching and some strength exercises. I know this has also helped me to feel better! I've added supplements as I learn more about which ones can help, and I'm taking baby steps towards a healthier diet (drinking more water instead of coffee, etc!). This is the hardest part for me - before my dx I lived off of coffee all day and sometimes didn't eat until dinner time...so unhealthy!!

Wishing you all the best and keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. 😊

Jill 

Hi Karunapod, I thought you tried the Mucuna whole herb too.Sorry for the misunderstanding.I wanted to know which one worked better.You were right,what worked for one person may not work for the other.Thanks for your insight.