helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
noah

planning for the future

In trying to plan for the future when my husband wont be able to care for me. How does one get the process started for home care ect/?

I would like to have an idea so when the time comes he wont feel so overwhelmed. I  never thought in a million years that I would be asking this ?? 

Hi, dear Noah.  Have you any advanced directives drawn up?  I think that would get you off to a good start.  It might help you to look on line at the suggestions for doing these. 

You're a good planner and seek ahead of time answers to the questions you have, just like when you were going by air for a vacation, and like when you were looking for a mattress, etc.!

I dont know anything about it. No I do not have long term care insurance.  But my husband has a nice size pension

I just dont know how i would  get the process started  Has anyone else thought about this

Do you have a local NPF chapter in your area. This is how I have learned a lot about planning for the future. My MDS also has a social worker on her team. She has set me up with copay assistance fund and has tons of information on planning for the future. example, long term care, home care, nursing aids, in house adaptive equipment. The list goes on.  

If there is a nursing home or home care agency you have in mind or have heard good things about, give them a call. They have several people available to answer your question and help guide you in the right direction. You can also call your medical insurance provider. They may have answers as well.

The nursing home I work at has a team of people who help people get everything in order so they are not surprised when the time comes.

just a few suggestions I can think of. If more come to me I will let you know.

Blessings

Adam

Don’t forget the financial planning aspects if your husband handled all that.  Do you have a family member knowledgeable in your estate etc? A financial planner or advisor?