helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
BillBRNC

Fingers Going Going, But Not Gone Yet

I play open back banjo. It is a 1920 Gibson 5 string. The neck is new, custom made by a guy in Quebec. I get a lot of enjoyment out of playing it. I used to play in bars and private jams a lot, but not anymore. I play for myself and wife. I got Dementia with Lewy Bodies, and that includes dementia and parkinson stuff. I just realized over the past week or so that my fingers are starting to do whatever they want when I'm trying to play. I thought it was temporary, but I think it is here to stay. I can't up my dose of Sinemet because the higher dose makes my cognitive/dementia stuff much worse, and it is already fairly bad as it is. Music is wonderful. To make music is even more wonderful and soothing too. I hate my fingers are going down the drain, but that's the way it is, so no need to fret about it. I can still play, but not good as before, and the sound and tone are nowhere near as pleasant. But I can play for myself and wife. I sing when I play, but I now can't remember words all the time, so the songs are not exactly followable if that's a word. We can't take things for granted. I like about this Board is that everyone seems to have such a good attitude about life and even their limitations. I in a CCRC now with my service dog, Doc. It is a nice place for me, and they can take care of me as I complete my journey. Bill.

Edited by BillBRNC

Wow! I bet that Gibson banjo is worth a few bucks!!!

Sorry for the way your PD is going, but at least enjoy what you can for as long as you can. No one here has any guarantees in life, so have fun while you can.

Yes, it is somewhat rare. The necks back in the day for the most part didn't survive the passage of time as good as the pots did, so new necks with truss rods help to reinvent the banjo. My neck is exact duplicate, only better becuase of truss rod and just all around better build. The pot produces a really wonderful tone. Because of new neck, this isn't really a collector banjo, but I wanted to play and not just look at it. This is a player's banjo, not a collector's banjo, which limits its money value, but I didn't buy it to sell it, not now not ever. I will have fun while I can. Thanks for comments.