helplinedonate
amy2beth

Gluten?

Nope. 

I will just point out that a gluten free diet is actually not a great choice unless you really need it (e.g. celiac disease).  Unless you just cut the gluten rather than replace it anyway.  Reason is that gluten free substitutes are higher carbs and higher glycemic index.  Plus it's about 4x the cost.  DW has Celiac's, so we've been in the middle of this for years.

I switched to a Gluten free diet few years before my diagnosis.

The reason I did,

I was trying an elimination diet to help my self feel better. I found that when I eliminated almost all gluten products and a huge portion of dairy, my joints felt better. I stopped using all allergy medication, and I felt my overall mood was better.

Gluten free diets are not for everyone. Try it for a 2 weeks. See how you feel then go from there. Yes the Gluten free replacement product are almost always higher in carbs. If you are diabetic be careful. Bread, bagels and pizza crust g-free products are almost 2x greater in carb count.

Good luck 

Thanks. I had a test done that showed I had gliadin antibodies which means although I’m not celiac, I have sensitivity. When I skip and eat gluten I feel way worse. Just wanted to see if that was case with other PD sufferers.

45 minutes ago, amy2beth said:

Thanks. I had a test done that showed I had gliadin antibodies which means although I’m not celiac, I have sensitivity. When I skip and eat gluten I feel way worse. Just wanted to see if that was case with other PD sufferers.

I developed Celiac disease as a complication of bowel surgery and long term infection.

The intense vomiting and diarrhea from eating gluten means I cant hold PD meds down, which in turns makes symptoms worse.

Fortunately, our society seems to be obsessed with the gluten-free fad, which leaves us with lots of food options. I still miss cheeseburgers and pizza, though.