helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
Newtie

23 year old female worried sick about YOPD

Hi-- I’m sort of freaking out.

about 3 days ago I started getting this weird weakness and twitching in my right index finger and thumb. It was happening like once a minute all the time. It’s not quite pill-rolling...I don’t even know if it’s a tremor or not. It’s not shaky just...twitchy. Sometimes I can feel it but not see it. It’s subtle. I have extreme health anxiety and so I started to focus on it and freak out and immediately think PD. I spoke to a primary care doctor who basically laughed at me, but I really am worried something is going on. It’s just like constant. More so when I’m relaxed but it has happened also when I’m typing or holding my phone or other stuff. I have no other symptoms. I guess there is some weakness in my arms but I don’t know how much of that is my anxiety tryinf to convince me I have something. The doctor thought maybe it was anxiety or stress related since I’ve been really really stressed lately (hair falling out, insomnia, panic attacks) and she thought maybe it was from having a long written exam last Wednesday...idk if I buy it. Should I just listen to her and drop it? Or does this sound concerning to anyone? I read online that this is like the first symptom of PD. I’m sorry; I’m like REALLY panicking. 

It is probably not Parkinson, but if you are worried the best thing is to go to a doctor with some expertise in this area.  The 18004PDINFO helpline can give you some suggestions.

I went to a doctor but he dismissed it as anxiety and refused to refer me to a neurologist. Should I go to the ER since he won't take me seriously?

I also should have added some history. About 6 months ago I had paresthesia in my left arm. It was hard to feel it on some days. I went to the ER and got an MRI (cervical and brain) and they found nothing. I was taking accutane at the time and I was experiencing headaches so I got off the accutane and the parasthesia went away. Looking back, I'm not sure if this is significant or not for what is going on now. My finger twitching has still not gone away and it feels more like a stiffness and a slight twitching rather than a pill-rolling tremor. Its weird because the paresthesia was on the left side and the finger twitching is on the right. I've been anxious about it all week and I've noticed other things in my body such as leg twitching, eyelid twitching, left leg numbness, a feeling of shakiness. I'm just not sure what to do. Could this be an ALS thing? Or just anxiety?

It could be anxiety, but you could also contact our 18004PDINFO helpline for a referral to a neurologist in your area.