helplinedonate
BillBRNC

Dropping Things

The Parkinson side of my Lewy Body Dementia has been in good control with Sinemet, so I have not had much to worry about for a good while, other than feeling sick due to the Sinemet. And my neuro is adjusting Sinemet to help with that. But, I now seem to have a not isolated situation where I drop things for no reason, usually when I am putting something in the refridgerator. Not a big deal all and all, but a pain to clean up if I have to do it with frequency. Is my dropping stuff without knowing why part of the Parkinson thing or the Sinemet? Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi Bill,

Things have been flying out of my hands since before diagnosis.  I think it is PD and not medication.  I find that I drop less if I slow down and concentrate on what I'm doing.  Glad that most of your PD symptoms are under good control with Sinemet.  Gardener

Gardener, thanks for the reply. Yes, I need to concentrate more on what I do and make sure I am certain to be in control of my hands and fingers. I also have developed some tremors in my hands and fingers, on and off. I guess it might be associated with off times for the Sinemet, but not sure. All the Parkinson stuff seems to be very, very slowly coming back around the edges, but very mild compared to what I had before. So I really don't concern myself with it too much, as my dementia stuff is getting out of control, which is why I now in CCRC. What a year. Unfortunately, the new year will only get worse for me, but I keep my head up and go with flow as best I can. I get comfort from all the folks here who have Parkinson stuff way way worse than I've had it. I know a couple of Lewy Body guys my age over the internet who can't take Sinemet or other Parkinson drugs due to worse confusion and craziness. They are in real pain all the time. I have problems with Sinemet, but I keep lowering dose to a level where the pain and movement stuff is tolerable and also the cognitive and behavioral stuff is tolerable. At least that is the plan so says my doctor. Merry Christmas and New Year to you and family. Bill.

Hey billbrnc,

Tremors, dropping stuff, and scrunched handwriting were the three things that sent me to the neurologist's office and started this wonderful excursion I'm on. I find dropping things to be frustrating but I just pick them up and move on with my day. But I have to be very careful about what I'm carrying, especially if it's hot or sharp.  But I've adjusted my attitude. Now, when I drop something, I  just think things like: "hey, I dropped something else. Wow, this is another good chance for me to bend forward and practice stretching and keeping my abdominal muscles engaged." 

-S

Edited by Superdecooper

Scoop, that's exactly what I've learned to do, too (look at the benefits of the good exercise and stretching we get after dropping things and having to clean them up).  It really helps, and it really is a benefit.  :-)   Am so happy to hear how you are adjusting as you accept what is; i.e., having PD.  Way to go! 

Linda

Hi Linda,

My MDS would prefer to call my issues a "dopamine deficiency" and say I'm "very early in the course" of this disease, with a mix of non-motor symptoms and mild motor symptoms that require treatment with the Parkinsons Disease drug called Azilect. Despite a positive DAT scan, he's being very cautious and watching me in hopes of halting progression into full blown parkinsons. 

Ok, sure, whatever, I'm not an MDS. But I'm also not in the habit of taking drug for problems that don't exist, So i just think of myself as having very early Parkinsons and act accordingly.  Especially since Parkinsons has now altered the course of my treatment for osteoarthritis, degenerative disc disease, and bulging spinal discs.

-S

Good morning Superdecooper!

I really like your attitude with Parkinson’s and how you are taking one step at a time.

I've been Azilect since April 2014, nothing else to date. I’m preparing myself to start on Levodopa in the next few months. While the Azilect has given me close to four years of benefits it will not nor has not halted the progression of our disease.

“Full blown”  Parkinson’s takes on many different forms as we are all very different people. No two people diagnosed with Parkinson’s will take the exact same path.  However one thing we do have in common is progression.

Im not trying to burst your hope, I am trying to keep you grounded. 

I am struggling with taking my first Levodopa, I feel defeated. Though in my reality I knew that the day was coming. I’m not going to live life with symptoms that no longer can be handled with Azilect alone. Mainly my right side tremor. I’m 58 and a fighter. I train in Kickboxing, Circut Cross and Power Walk 8 km daily. Exercise is the only proven medication that slows/delays the progression.

All the best to you in 2018

D

Thanks Discovery,

i hope you find the bravery in your soul that helps you move forward.

im still trying to get used to this brave new world. I was initially diagnosed with essential tremor by a non MDS neurologist. And now this. Most folks who have been on this board read my posts and come to the same conclusion: PD. Well, so be it. 

i just want the meds to work and my life to settle down..but that's what everyone else wants too, right. I'm hopeful that Azilect will give me some relief, but I'm also exercising every day and trying to change my diet. I'm going to take up Tai Chi, try yoga and even meditation. 

My MDS said my Datscan next year will probably also show up as positive for PD, so he's definitely sending mixed signals. He didn't say I could do nothing and this would all go away by itself. 

Today I went to the chiropractor who tested my reflexs on my right knee (the affected side). Not surprisingly I don't have any. Last week the massage therapist said my right side of my body feels like concrete and she worked on me an extra 1/2 hour trying to get it to loosen up. 

So, I'm dealing with this as pragmatically as possible.  Being on this board and reading others stories is helping me to stay grounded. 

Not to mention: I keep dropping stuff on the ground and have to pick it up and keep it moving. That could be the theme song for my life.

-S

Edited by Superdecooper

I have been dropping A LOT- mainly dishes, plates glasses, found out it is from carpal tunnel so I have surgery sched in a few weeks.

good luck

Does the 3 second rule apply?

if you drop food you are eating on the floor, can you pick it up and eat it without getting extra germs? If you do it within 3 seconds?

asking for a friend...who just happened to drop a delicious apple!

Still dropping things and overshooting objects I reach for. Just knocked over someone else’s cup of coffee at work into the carpet. 

Bother

-S