helplinedonate
Bluemoon

How to plan your own future

Hi everyone,

I'm a Young Onset PWP and, for the time being, I'm far away from a dependency situation.

However I would like to start planning my own future (elder age) so that I don't become a problem to my family.

I've already started to pay more taxes so that I can cover a decent invalidation pension if I need it in the future.

But I'm thinking that probably it is a good idea to start a savings accounts exclusively for my disease's eventualities.

In that sense, I would like to ask you, as caregivers and family, which challenges you've found alongside  the process of caring for your beloved PWP.

There is a possibility that there is no one to take care of me on a daily basis when I become  dependent, so I really need to get everything pretty tight up and planned in advance.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thank you

It's great that you want to plan ahead but things do not go according to how you think will progress.  You can get cancer or become disabled from a car accident or worse.  Not trying to cause fear for you but just saying that there is only so much you can do.  Common sense planning is always a good thing whether you have a disease or not.   Save your pennies and eat right/exercise. 

If you have no one to care for you on a daily basis when needed, a care facility will be the option.  I am the caregiver for my DH with PD, so  currently and hopefully to the end, he won’t need to be in a facility.  Though I don’t have PD, chances are high that I will need care, but with no caregiver, so I will likely be in a facility.  I have saved as much money as possible for this eventuality and hope it will be enough.  You are probably not eligible for long-term care insurance unless you already have it.  Also, if you are a veteran, there are paid care options through the VA.  Though things do not often go as planned, it is smart to plan ahead.  Things go much better with the financial ability to make good choices.  

Bluemoon,

Where are your from? Some of the terms you use are different than we use in the states, so it might be different in another country.

Coach

The financial side of Parkinson's was really hard for me (my husband has had PD for 12 years). One of the best resources on financial matters was a PD Expert Briefing from a couple of years ago. Gave us great info (liability insurance, consolidating bank accounts, etc.). You have to register to see the archive but is worth your time. Here is the link: http://event.netbriefings.com/event/pdeb/Archives/tips/register.html

Another good resource for us was a Davis Phinney Victory Summit where they had a panel on health insurance and financial matters.

Hi guys, thanks for replying so quickly.

I'm not from the States so I'm aware that many things will be different. For instance, I know for a fact that anything related to medications, operations like DBS and such will be covered by the Social Security System at no additional cost (or very little). I also know what I have to do know in order to be covered by disabled benefits in the future, which is basically paying a lot more taxes now, and I'm already doing so.

However not everything is well-covered. For example, should I need a personal caregiver, I will have to pay it from my savings since public health cover it very poorly and it's best to access this kind of service through a private insurance company. Or should life in a facility be needed, that'll cost a lot of money since that is not covered at all and it's best to plan it ahead.

My question is still relevant since I'm pretty sure that I'm missing lots of things I cannot now think of because I'm in a very early state of the disease, I don't depend on anybody yet and honestly it's difficult for me to imagine what might happen in the future. That's the reason why I've thought that perhaps here more experienced people could give me a few insights in terms of the unexpected realities I might find along the way.

For example, the thorough financial planning proposed by Golden01 sounds like something I didn't think of, and I could try & find something similar in my country. Also, knowing which are the approximated expenses associated with physiotherapists, home adaptation, other therapies, or any other thing you have found along the way unexpectedly, would be great. As I mentioned I'm trying to plan in advance as much as I can now so I don't become a great burden to my family in the future.

Many thanks!

When my mom found out she had PD she immediately applied for Medicaid which she qualified for.  That helped a lot because most of her doctor visits and medications were free of charge to her and that lessened my burden tremendously.   I wish I can tell you that you won't need your family's help down the road but we all need help sooner or later.   Don't feel bad about that.   Whether they will help you is another story but do as much as you can and think positive.

• Like 1