helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Sign in to follow this  
NickP1225

Those diagnosed over 60 and their experiences

Hello everyone,

I'd like to ask that anyone diagnosed over the age of 60 share their story below. My dad, 64, was diagnosed a year ago this February, and his tremor has progressed to be quite constant in his left hand. At times it can extend down to his left leg. He currently chooses to take no medications. He lives alone, my parents are divorced, about an hour away from me in an apartment with stairs. If possible, if anyone who has had PD for several years, above the age of 60, and lives alone could share their experience, I would greatly appreciate it.

Perhaps get him an alarm system that alerts if falls? They give out keychains. Getting a lower level apartment also helps. Falls are major issue with PD especially in later stages. Can he move closer to you?

Over 60 when diagnosed, but not living alone. My doc says using medication is the most important first step to normalizing daily life and there is no evidence that Sinemet accelerates the illness progression. Suffering without medication is a common issue with my generation schooled on the hazards of addiction and dose accommodation but neither has been shown to be an issue in PD meds. Suffering is just that, and ought to be overcome with meds, healthy lifestyle and exercise. 

My husband was diagnosed at 65.  His major symptom was tremor in left arm and some anxiety.  He did great for 5 years, mentally and physically.  He could have lived by himself.  He had some surgery that drastically changed his mental status.  He was still fine physically, but could not have managed mentally.  Everyone is different, but make sure your father exercises as much as possible, because I think it really helps.