helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
otolorin

DRIVING IN THE SNOW WITH EARLY STAGE PD

Hi everyone,

With the current winter conditions and heavy snow storm,has any pwp ever being caught in a snow storm driving?If so would you share your experience please?I have had no problem driving in the snow before PD dx.But after,I have to rethink this.Your input will be appreciated.

Snow never stopped me. I have driven through many snow storms after dx. Just remember take it slow, no sudden lane changes and leave plenty of time to stop.

Good luck.

Adam

If you have a very reliable car, perhaps with alert beeping  and automatic emergency braking (e.g., if you are crossing over into the other lane or driving too close to the car in front of you, etc)., have good tires and good front and back window defrosters, and have kept up with service and keep your gas tank full,  have had a good night's sleep and a full stomach and extra medicine, plus some water, snacks, a blanket, enough battery power to keep your car's rear blinkers on, mittens, hat, scarf, boots and extra socks, a charged cell phone, a working flashlight, something to read and something to write on and with (in case you want to leave a note to someone, just in case)....well, then......unless someone else has anything to add....you should be good to go.  :-)

Seriously, the most important thing is like adam said--be sure to leave enough distance between you and the car in front of you, and drive as slow as you feel you need to. . You also could always pull off the road if you need to take a break.

My input on this subject is going to be rather blunt. If you are unsure about driving in the snow whether you have or do not have PD, do us a favor and stay home. It’s hard enough navigating my daily commute with the drivers who do not know the rules of the road. An unsure driver is a danger to everyone and should refrain from operating a motor vehicle.

Dave

Otolorn

Well common sense is always best.We have had 2 blizzards already.The first I wondered why no travel adversary so I caaled our media.Later that day usre enough our sheriff posted a advisory,I dont credit  but you be surprised what is overlooked today.lol

The second storm we got it all overnight about 2 ft.I myself didn't go out till roads were better.I do have a 4 wheel drive dodge truck with all the gadgets .These trucks are great but they don't stop any better than cars.people drive them fast by my house i pray they suddenly don't have to stop.

As far as PD stopping driving ,it depends any things.I have found we have common deficits in this area.One is pulling out safely.Somehow we might have a problem at T intersections calculating traffic.I am aware and always look at least twice slowly before I pull out on the road.Another is at night we can get a little confused where we are.I have found paying special attention no "nightdreaming"lol has taken care.I do drive slower but I can say Im a safer driver than many..

The best advice is maybe get a outside evaluation  privatly.I use to have some aweful jerks but they always calmed down while concentrating.Then after a med change they went away for awhile not there back but mildThise years of constant concetrating payed off and gave me a skill.I only wish my doctors could have been more professional in helping me .Even today they still cling to a physiological cause Hope your doctors are better.

john