Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Six months "testing" marijuana. Observations, questions

Recommended Posts

Six months ago I decided to try marijuana for my symptoms.

It was especially hard for me. Until the summer of 2017, I worked in high skill industry positions that required random drug testing. For 25 years, I was clean. Not cheating and hoping I didn't get caught, I was clean. I fired guys for flunking UA's.

I tried marijuana a few times in high school, enough to know it affected my ability to play football, so I didn't really care for it.

Sinemet gave me nausea, insomnia, depression and yoyo on-off periods. It's only grace is it controlled symptoms enough to get through work, but in the evenings I crashed. Hard.

I was not amused when family members would send me FB links of miracle cure videos using marijuana. But this past summer was so bad that I was willing to try anything for relief. I had given notice at my job so I thought what the hell.

A, um, family member who smoked brought some over to try. I took a few hits and waited. Everyone was leaned forward watching me. Maybe it was too late in the evening, but I didn't really notice any effect, so I went to bed.

The next day (Saturday), I got up about 5 and fixed a bowl like I had been taught the night before. I took a few hits, and started my routine. Made coffee, took a shower, and fixed a light breakfast before I realized I had forgotten to take Sinemet! I thought wow: I'll just skip this dose and take my next when I needed to. Besides, I felt really good! I crashed an hour later. The sinemet couldn't catch up and I had a pretty miserable day off. Note: does not replace regular medicines.

A week later I tried again. I had a 4 day weekend (July 4th). 'Do more' my sage family member advised, so I did. I had nothing planned, so I smoked several times that day while taking scheduled Sinemet.

I had a pain free, nausea free, and spasm free day for the first time in at least a year. Even though I couldn't get off the couch, I was optimistic. The next day felt even better. I even went out to dinner and a movie! My family was ecstatic. I was a little out of it, but I had a spring in my step and enjoyed it.

Monday didn't go as well, Tuesday was even worse. Basically just quit working. I ran out of weed, and had to go back to work the next day. My wife said the house smelled like a college dorm hall, so it was time for a break.

After this try, I learned a few things. One, I was using the cheap stuff, what college kids could afford, commonly called "skunk". A friend (who heard about the apparent success offered to get the good stuff, called "dank." I gave him a c-note and had to wait almost 2 weeks, but it finally came. I talked with him at length about how spotty it had worked before. He offered to help me make a tincture with my haul so I could regulate it easier. Ground it, baked it, and added it to everclear. Apparently it smelled up the house so bad my wife thought the cops would soon be knocking on the door. Then wait a couple more weeks. My job was almost finished, but I had a long shutdown and a going away party to worry about.

In two weeks the tincture had turned dark green. My friend said it was ready, but start small. So I started with 1ml at six am, mixed with a little water, and washed it down. At seven it was barely noticeable. I thought about taking some more, but decided against it. By eight I was flying through the stratosphere. I had never been that high in my life. It was very intense, but nice. It lasted for about 5 hours, slowing down and picking back up, before finally mellowing out in the afternoon.

It was never my intention to get high. I was experimenting to either help with symptoms and/or the side effects of the medications. I called my friend and he wanted to try. The next day he called me back to tell me he had never experienced anything like that either. I wanted to know what to do, because I really had no interest in doing that again. Use less!

Next day If took one fl oz of tincture and cut it 1:2 with water. Then I took 0.5 ml and put it under my tongue. I went about my day. No releif. Next day, same thing. I gave up for the next week.

I tried again Saturday morning. Same dose. As before, it took two hours to reach full effect. It was very mild, and enjoyed it while I did small stuff around the house. I could, at times, forget the symptoms. The effect lasted into the evening. Same dose Sunday, but not as good.

So about the symptoms: nausea, pain, stiffness and sleep.

Nausea was well controlled. I estimate 80-90% reduction, at times 100%. Even when it didn't seem to help with the others very much.

Pain was hit and miss. Maybe 60% reduction for the first few hours, 30-40% after.

Stiffness and spasms were better. Maybe 75% for a few hours, then 50%.

Sleep was improved about 1.5 hours extra from around 3 hours. As long as I didn't take it too late in the day (more on that later).

I was concerned that daily use yeilded successively poorer and poorer results. My family member warned that tolerance is built up quickly, so I would need to take rest days between doses, or take more. I did not want to do that so I settled on every other day.

This pace worked, with similar effects noted above, for the rest of the year. I started to slack off the schedule by Thanksgiving, and by now I have used nearly my entire supply.

So here I am. Six months of an experiment. The nausea abatement was profound, and sleep was improved enough to make the days better. However, the stiffness and pain relief was hit or miss.

In my state, possession of any amount is a crime and punishment is draconic at best. Maybe that will change, but I'm not holding my breath. There is no medical marijuana, either.

I'm not sure if I want to continue, but it was nice for the most part.

What do you think?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


It appears to me that your trial of marijuana was too erratic to be a good test.  You started; you stopped; took one kind; then another; smoked; then took a tincture, etc.

I think your trial would be more effective if you treated it like any other medicine.  My recommendation would be to find a high quality marijuana and then make a tincture with it.  Start out with a few drops and then titrate up in both dosage and frequency.  For example, you might start out at 5 drops once a day for a week.  Then, 10 drops once a day for a week.  Follow this pattern until you notice adequate symptom improvement.  Then, increase the frequency to twice a day for a week.  Then, three times a day the next week.   Keep up this pattern until you get adequate symptom relief without significant off periods.  Obviously, if you're getting high, you're taking too much because now the marijuana is being abused and interfering with your ability to function normally instead of being a typical medication. 

Just my 2 cents.




Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks PatriotM.

Justto clarify, the learning curve took a little more than a month (including the high episode), but the quantitative analysis was from August to December. My personal experience was inconclusive. My intent was to express that (for me) using marijuana was minorly useful in my daily life.

I still work full time, and while I no longer have to worry about drug testing, I still have to be conscious of my daily performance.

Converting to a tincture was the best way to regulate dosing by far. Smoking through a bong was too erratic. The tincture was spot on, almost clinical.

I just wanted to relay my personal experience, that is all.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this