helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
johnny

Pfizerstopping R&D for PD

The GOPTAXSCAM gave Pfizer a 38 billion dollar tax cut.Pfizer has given only 16 million in donations to the GOP since 1990.What a investments 2000% payback and now no money avalable for R&D for PD or frankly any other chronic diease.f that doesnt wake up those who have been sleeping!!!

just to name a few others who made out fabulously for their super rich investors and CEO.

eliLIlly gave 10 million with a 6 billion tax cut

Merck gave 7 million with a 12 billion cut

John &Johnson gave 5 milllion with a 13 billion ta

Simple solution to the big money killing our country is for individuals to start helping out get a strong vote this year.

I am personally helping that happen in my district Maybe some of you would also look into helping.

Better goverment of the people ,better chance of finding a cure for PD

Warmer weather returns here for a few days then a return of cold and sno

The GOPTAXSCAM is going to make US corporations more competitive, which will bring more jobs and higher wages to the US.  The GOPTAXSCAM will mean working class Americans will get a tax cut also. 

I will also be helping get out the vote this year, but you might not like the candidates I'm pushing.   Almost everyone gets to keep more of what they earn.  How could anyone be against that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since 2008 they've given about equally to Democrats and Republicans.  Don't know why you're complaining other than rank partisan bias that they gave anything to the Republicans. 

I'm personally figuring there's a good chance the economic boom the tax cuts (and probably more importantly regulatory reductions) will cause will carry me through to retirement.  Whether that's a normal retirement at 65 or an early retirement sooner than that on disability benefits.  And I'm 40 right now.  The Regan boom, with some dips at times, lasted until GWB and Obama came along and made another dip into the Great Recession.  So that was a solid 20-25 years of mostly boom time.

The economic boom will provide a lot more money for PD research.  If Pfizer isn't spending on that cause someone else will.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes, politics with Parkinson's- just what the doctor ordered, or not. 

Heres this link, reposted here, about Pfizer from an LA Times columnist:

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-hiltzik-pfizer-20180108-story.html

stump, your short  history of economic boom times seems to be missing a few presidents, plus you really can't blame Obama for the recession that started before he was president. Maybe blame is the wrong word.

And finally, the new tax law does cut tax rates for everyone, but makes the corporate rate cuts permanent and sets up a future congress to extend the individual ones that expire in the mid 2020s. It's based on the GOP premise that deficit financed tax cuts spur economic growth, which THEN generates tax revenues that offset their cost. But while those revenues are still coming in over the next 10 years, the US will have to borrow from China and other nations to keep the US budget on track. 

if higher tax revenues do not materialize, either because of another depression or war, then the country will be faced with higher deficits and the need to either raise tax rates or cut spending on domestic programs.  That's usually when the country elects a Democrat to the office of president to make the decision to raise taxes...but neighter political party really ever cuts spending.

That's the political context behind Pfizer's decision to stop PD research. They're taking the tax cut and investing it elsewhere. Nothing in the new tax law says their shareholders shouldn't get paid first. 

-S

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stump said:

Since 2008 they've given about equally to Democrats and Republicans.  Don't know why you're complaining other than rank partisan bias that they gave anything to the Republicans. 

I'm personally figuring there's a good chance the economic boom the tax cuts (and probably more importantly regulatory reductions) will cause will carry me through to retirement.  Whether that's a normal retirement at 65 or an early retirement sooner than that on disability benefits.  And I'm 40 right now.  The Regan boom, with some dips at times, lasted until GWB and Obama came along and made another dip into the Great Recession.  So that was a solid 20-25 years of mostly boom time.

The economic boom will provide a lot more money for PD research.  If Pfizer isn't spending on that cause someone else will.

It's the beauty and curse of free market capitalism.  Recently, Pfizer lost millions in a couple of failed Alzheimers and PD meds.  So, they are pulling out.  Can't say I blame them

Still kind of bums me out that the best drug to date for treating PD was created over 50 years ago.  PD is an incredibly complex disease - which unfortunately makes R&D for drugs incredibly expensive.