helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
Roses

Tremors only -- could it be YOPD?

Hello Dear All,

I found your forum yesterday and read a number of posts. You seem to be a very nice and supportive group here! :))

I am a 45 y.o. female from Eastern Europe. I have not been diagnosed with PD yet, but who knows...

I have a 10-year history of mental illness and was taking antipsychotics and antidepresants for about 8-9 years. Currently, I am only on an antidepresant. I have a history of depression and anxiety. Last year was especially difficult for me -- I had elevated anxiety for the major part of the year. Sometimes, I would have heart palpitations, sweat and tremble all over.

I think I had trembling hands for a number of years now, but it wasn't as pronounced. In recent months, I have noticed that my hands are trembling visibly -- both are, but the right one trembles a little more (in a way, this trembling reminds of twitching fingers, but there is no "pill-rolling"). I also noticed tremor in my legs and in the chest. I have no other symptoms.

Today, I had an appointment with a family doctor and was referred to a neurologist, but I will have to wait until 8 February.

Could those be symptoms of YOPD or maybe MS?

Would be very grateful for your ideas.

Welcome Roses,

I am not a doctor but with just tremors on both side and no other symptoms it leads me to believe the Neurologist may not lean toward a Parkinson's Diagnosis. I have seen a several people come on this forum who have used antipsychotics in the past with tremors.

Generally Parkinson's starts on one side of the body and the tremor (if present) is a resting tremor that goes away when movement is initiated. Also there is usually other symptoms as well rigidity, slowness of movement, Gait problems, lack of smell just to name the most common at Diagnosis.

I hope for your case, that it is the drugs and not Parkinson's. This is not a disease I would wish on anyone.

I hope you find the answers you seek on the 8th of Feb. Stay positive because attitude is half the battle with any medical problem. Keep us posted.

Blessings

Adam

• Thanks 1

If your smell is still there, you can smell a banana, cofee, I would rule out PArkinsons. Loss of smell is a classic PD symptom that happens years before tremors and rigidly comes. It will save you an expensive doctor visit. There is absolutely no benefit of an early Parkinson’s diagnosis. Dont go looking for Parkinson’s on the internet. Internet will always prove what you believe is right. You do however need to work on your depression and perhaps work toward a goal to be free of anti depressants if you can. Exercise is an excellent antidepressant and will likely cut your chances with Parkinson’s or alzimers and other neurological disorders. I also recommend Ashwaghnda, it’s a very effective adaptagen

Edited by waruna01
  • Thanks 1

My understanding of some of the early antipsychotic meds is that they produce PD like symptoms in people.  Sometimes, it is permanent.  My cousin took some of the 1st gen meds for 20 years and developed severe resting tremors - that persisted even after the meds were stopped.

• Thanks 1

Early tremors in both hands and legs do not sound like PD or MS to me. I have PD and my wife has MS and neither of us have experienced those symptoms before.

• Thanks 1

That is a question to post in the Ask the Pharmacist forum. My personal experience is that those medications do not cause tremor.

Dianne 

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much Adam, Waruna, Afroney, Swva, Chuck and Dianne!

I will say once again -- this is such a nice community here!

As I await my appointment with the neurologist in Feb, now I am anxious even more, so my tremor is worse, especially in the chest.

I will keep you posted.

In the meantime, I will drop by here from time to time.

I am a Christian, and the faith helps to a certain degree, but sometimes anxiety takes it over.

I am not married and have no children, I live with my mother. I have a boyfriend, we have been considering marriage, he is very nice, but if I am diagnosed with something serious, I am not sure how he would respond. I am afraid that after my mom's death I will be on my own, lonely and disabled.

May God bless all of you!

Roses,

On the day of my Diagnosis I told my husband that if he did not want to remain married to me because he did not sign up for this he responded with, "I did not marry you because of a preconceived idea of what our future would be like. I married you out of love and I will be by your side no matter what happens."

My point of this is don't worry yourself over a future that has not happened. The future you imagine will never turn out the way you thought it would. If you love him and cant imagine not having him around, and he feels the same then you are meant to be together.

Trust me when I say I understand your feelings. Coping with a diagnosis of anything life altering is stressful, going through the process of not being sure what is wrong is even scarier.

We are here if you need to vent. Please don't worsen you anxiety on a picture of the future you have not experienced. I can promise you the future I envisioned 10 years ago is nothing like what I am currently living. It is so much better. I can honestly say that once I put my faith in the fact that I will end up where I meant to be, I am much happier now than I have ever been. Even though PD has been the most challenging a frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with, it has opened me up to new ways of looking at life. Be happy now, celebrate waking up and have who you have around you. Yesterday is in the past and nothing you do will change it. Tomorrow is a new day that has not yet been written, so live now, be in the now and love those who are by your side now.

Blessing and Love and  light to you

Adam 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, adams234 said:

Roses,

On the day of my Diagnosis I told my husband that if he did not want to remain married to me because he did not sign up for this he responded with, "I did not marry you because of a preconceived idea of what our future would be like. I married you out of love and I will be by your side no matter what happens."

My point of this is don't worry yourself over a future that has not happened. The future you imagine will never turn out the way you thought it would. If you love him and cant imagine not having him around, and he feels the same then you are meant to be together.

Trust me when I say I understand your feelings. Coping with a diagnosis of anything life altering is stressful, going through the process of not being sure what is wrong is even scarier.

We are here if you need to vent. Please don't worsen you anxiety on a picture of the future you have not experienced. I can promise you the future I envisioned 10 years ago is nothing like what I am currently living. It is so much better. I can honestly say that once I put my faith in the fact that I will end up where I meant to be, I am much happier now than I have ever been. Even though PD has been the most challenging a frustrating thing I have ever had to deal with, it has opened me up to new ways of looking at life. Be happy now, celebrate waking up and have who you have around you. Yesterday is in the past and nothing you do will change it. Tomorrow is a new day that has not yet been written, so live now, be in the now and love those who are by your side now.

Blessing and Love and  light to you

Adam 

Adam,

Thanks a million for your encouraging and inspiring reply!

Yes, indeed... The whole concept of "meant to be" is very reassuring... I will meditate on this for a while... It's similar to believing that God has a plan for each one's life... We have to believe that and not give up, and more than that, we have to celebrate our lives every day, as you say... Thanks again.

Have a blessed weekend!

On 2018-01-11 at 4:53 AM, swva said:

Early tremors in both hands and legs do not sound like PD or MS to me. I have PD and my wife has MS and neither of us have experienced those symptoms before.

Swva,

Thanks for your reply and encouragement!!!

The best of health to you and your wife, celebrate your lives, as Adam says... God is faithful and will provide everything you need.

Will keep everyone posted.

On 2018-01-11 at 1:16 AM, afroney said:

My understanding of some of the early antipsychotic meds is that they produce PD like symptoms in people.  Sometimes, it is permanent.  My cousin took some of the 1st gen meds for 20 years and developed severe resting tremors - that persisted even after the meds were stopped.

Afroney,

Thanks a lot for your response!!!

Stay strong and enjoy your life one day at a time.

God bless you.

On 2018-01-10 at 11:10 PM, waruna01 said:

If your smell is still there, you can smell a banana, cofee, I would rule out PArkinsons. Loss of smell is a classic PD symptom that happens years before tremors and rigidly comes. It will save you an expensive doctor visit. There is absolutely no benefit of an early Parkinson’s diagnosis. Dont go looking for Parkinson’s on the internet. Internet will always prove what you believe is right. You do however need to work on your depression and perhaps work toward a goal to be free of anti depressants if you can. Exercise is an excellent antidepressant and will likely cut your chances with Parkinson’s or alzimers and other neurological disorders. I also recommend Ashwaghnda, it’s a very effective adaptagen

Waruna01,

Thanks for your reply and advice!!!

I certainly need to start exercising... I know that. I used to exercise in the past, but that was quite long ago. Now I only used to go for walks in a nearby park last summer and early autumn.

The best of luck to you, may God bless you.

37 minutes ago, Roses said:

Waruna01,

Thanks for your reply and advice!!!

I certainly need to start exercising... I know that. I used to exercise in the past, but that was quite long ago. Now I only used to go for walks in a nearby park last summer and early autumn.

The best of luck to you, may God bless you.

you now have a good motiviation to start exercising - NOT get Parkingons's in the first place. Be sure to eat brain healthy foods. Blue berries are great choice

• Like 1

23 hours ago, waruna01 said:

you now have a good motiviation to start exercising - NOT get Parkingons's in the first place. Be sure to eat brain healthy foods. Blue berries are great choice

Thank you!!!!!! :)