helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    

Yes, there is a program called Rock Steady boxing which is helpful for some patients with Parkinson.

I have been going to the rock steady program near me. I really enjoy it, not only for the exrecises but for the comrodery. I have been falling lately so i havent been going.  I went b ack last

week for the first time in months and was so glad I did, They have someone spot me so I dont fall.  It is more than just boxing you do other kinds of exercise as well.  I believe there has been studies done that show it is helpful I would encourage 

as

I attended Rock Steady Boxing classes 2 X week for several months last year. Loved  it, lots of fun, enjoyed the camaraderie, felt great, became very fit. I even learned to jump rope, which made me feel age 10 again! Unfortunately I had to stop going because I started having severe hip pain, knee pain, & back pain. I have developed serious  balance issues since DBS 2 years ago, so I fell down a lot & even though the floors & walls were padded, the jolt was too much for me. I believe it caused the joint pain. So I would have to say boxing is great for some people, not so much for others. Also, I've been told that some RSB places perhaps devote more time & effort to insure that activities are more suited for individuals. Just be careful if you do it!

I actually have to have someone spot  me otherwise I wouldnt be able to go.  Maybe they could find you a spotter or maybe a family member could go with you

I noticed (on this thread and several others) that people had to stop doing something because of falls. It is extremely important to improve your balance if you have Parkinson's, and even more so if you are prone to falling.  And you can do such exercises safely, in your own home.

The silver sneakers program is a good source of exercises.  Here are a couple of links to some silver sneakers balance exercises:

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/balance-stability-exercises-seniors/   for some fairly elementary ones

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/fit-for-life-exercises-improve-balance/   for ones that are a little more challenging

Pick ones that are challenging, but that you can do or almost do, follow the advice about holding on to something if need be, and do five or ten minutes daily.  You will probably see results within a couple of weeks.

I was diagnosed with PD almost eleven years ago (and I had it for at least five years before that).  I had DBS about a year ago.  The last time I fell was in 2009 (caught myself, skinned my palms a bit), and I attribute that to working VERY HARD on my balance.  And my balance was never particularly good, even when I was a teenager. People that age are supposed to be able to stand on one leg with eyes closed; I could never do that.

Yes, balance exercises can be tedious.  When you consider the alternative, though ...