helplinedonate
  • Announcements

• ForumAdmin

Frequently Asked Questions - Step by step guides

Do you need assistance registering, logging in, posting, etc? Please visit the all new Frequently Asked Question Forum for step-by-step guides. Click the link below to access these helpful guides. Frequently Asked Questions
    • ForumAdmin

Recursos Nuevos en Español

http://www.parkinson.org/ayuda   http://www.parkinson.org/espanol    
    • ForumAdmin

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636

Línea de Ayuda 1-800-473-4636   ¿Qué es la línea de ayuda 1-800-4PD-INFO (473-4636) de la Fundación Nacional de Parkinson? Es un número de teléfono gratuito que ayuda a las personas con la enfermedad de Parkinson, sus familiares, amigos y profesionales de salud, a solucionar diferentes inquietudes.   La línea de ayuda ofrece: Información actualizada Apoyo emocional Referidos a profesionales de salud Recursos comunitarios Amplia variedad de publicaciones gratis    
BillBRNC

Parkinson's Disease & Dementia

Just seeking some good information, because I read something on a Lewy Body forum that I find hard to believe. A comment was made that there supposedly no dispute that Parkinson's Disease always leads to dementia if the person doesn't die from something else first. I just find this hard to believe, so I wanted to ask you folks what you know or have read. Thanks. Bill.

My mom was diagnosed three years ago with Parkinson's. She now has dementia; she is 73 years old. It came on suddenly. It's not Lewy Body's though. I have not heard that Parkinson's leads to dementia. We were certainly never told this.

2 hours ago, CarolSinger said:

My mom was diagnosed three years ago with Parkinson's. She now has dementia; she is 73 years old. It came on suddenly. It's not Lewy Body's though. I have not heard that Parkinson's leads to dementia. We were certainly never told this.

Get her to a Doctor! Dementia does not happen overnight, UTI's do!   Yes, Unary Tract Infection can cause the family to think "Mom's got dementia in three days". NO, that is a UTI and need urgent medical attention!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BillBRNC said:

Just seeking some good information, because I read something on a Lewy Body forum that I find hard to believe. A comment was made that there supposedly no dispute that Parkinson's Disease always leads to dementia if the person doesn't die from something else first. I just find this hard to believe, so I wanted to ask you folks what you know or have read. Thanks. Bill.

FALSE INFORMATION.

Some of us with Parkinson's may go onto developing PDD (Parkinsons Disease with Dementia) or it maybe Lewy Body Disease. lbda.org is the good source of information.

I meet a fellow, still mentally active, who was Dx and started on Sinemet at 52 years old. When I meet him he was 90 years old! Still active on the family farm. He said he has slowed down, but living with Parkinson's FORTY YEARS later!   Don't give up, keep moving forward.  There are still some MD's who believe "once diagnosed you have about 10 years left". We all know that is old wives tale but stems from the days when the average age of Dx was 75, yet average lifespan was 82. Yes, those with Parkinson's "only lived 10 years on average" but overlooked their peers died sooner! Those with PD had better medical care (hence the Dx).

With Parkinson's Dementia, we just have a harder time processing things. We still know who the people are around us. We may forget and need to be reminded of things, but we still have our memories. Alzeihemers is when you have zero recall of those people around you.

The best thing we can do is keep exercising, eat sensibly, and (try to) get a good nights sleep.  

Oh, my Golden Retriever is sleeping on my feet at the moment. Life is good.

17 minutes ago, maral77 said:

https://www.alz.org/dementia/parkinsons-disease-symptoms.asp  It is common. I read several articles on the Web and this is one. My husband just passed away Sunday after 13 years with Parkinsons. He had dementia along with just about every other symptom. 

Maral, I am so sorry to hear about your husband passing away.   You can take comfort in having been a supportive spouse who stuck by his side.

My wife wants nothing to do with Parkinson's. She was very upset as I am supposed to be her caregiver, not the other way around. I am still working, thanks to a fantastic employer, while my wife quit working years ago as it was too hard for her to get up early.  She won't attend my Rock Steady Boxing classes (doesn't want to take the time out as she would miss Ellen), nor join me on a walk around the block.  I remain active, try to do my best, but have zero support from my spouse on this journey. So please take great comfort in you were there for your husband.

For my wife, she just feels my blank face is a sign I don't love her. Sigh, thankfully informed spouses know better.

I wish you all the best.

@maral77  Please accept my sincere condolences also.  You were indeed a wonderful helpmate for your dh, and I am sure he knew that. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.  Thanks for all of your help on this site.

i think its crucial when diagnosed with PD that one takes care of remaining healthy brain cells. exercise is your best friend. drastically cut down or eliminate sugar intake. eat brain healthy foods such as blue berries. take your vit d. Herbs I recommend include thripala, ashwaghanda, Shankhpushpi, brahmi. Take them in moderation while rotating them. These are ancient ayurvedic herbs for healthy brain cells.

4 hours ago, maral77 said:

https://www.alz.org/dementia/parkinsons-disease-symptoms.asp  It is common. I read several articles on the Web and this is one. My husband just passed away Sunday after 13 years with Parkinsons. He had dementia along with just about every other symptom. 

Maral please accept my condolences on your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

3 hours ago, TexasTom said:

Maral, I am so sorry to hear about your husband passing away.   You can take comfort in having been a supportive spouse who stuck by his side.

My wife wants nothing to do with Parkinson's. She was very upset as I am supposed to be her caregiver, not the other way around. I am still working, thanks to a fantastic employer, while my wife quit working years ago as it was too hard for her to get up early.  She won't attend my Rock Steady Boxing classes (doesn't want to take the time out as she would miss Ellen), nor join me on a walk around the block.  I remain active, try to do my best, but have zero support from my spouse on this journey. So please take great comfort in you were there for your husband.

For my wife, she just feels my blank face is a sign I don't love her. Sigh, thankfully informed spouses know better.

I wish you all the best.

Tom, I am so sorry for your lack of support. Know that others care and we are here for your journey.

• Like 1

Maral , I am so sorry to hear such sad news..however you were there for your dear hubby..you are in my thoughts..

.and Tom ,I am sorry life can be so unkind, whatever ..I was diagnosed with pd 13yrs ago just  4yrs after my dear hubby passed away thankfully i have my son 23 now i.m lucky.

I said this before and i'll say it again thank you dear friends you guys do so much for my mood....yes.

Em 

• Like 1

I agree completely, Pathfinder.

Tex, you'll always be counted as family here, and we stand behind you and support you.  It is incredible to me that you still are working.  Good for you!!

And, Tex, just IMHO:  I think the things you said your wife has said have to do with her own difficult adjustment issues.  I can surely understand how hard it must be for you not to have her support and for her to have said things that can hurt you deeply.  It may be good for herself that she is able to acknowledge them not only to herself, but to you as well.  It's part of working through "getting to the other side."  Do you and she have a counselor of some sort that you could meet with?  Depending on the counselor, it could be very helpful.

• Like 1

Mara, we are so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved husband.  We're thinking of you and praying for you.  If we could take on some of your hurt and sadness, we would.  It's hard to think of those of you who have lost those you love and with whom you shared life for so long.  Words can't convey our sympathies.

@marral77, please stay strong.May the Lord be with you.Accept my heartfelt condolence for the loss of your dh.Hello Texas Tom,I don't understand why some spouses behave the way you described in your posting.I thought it is for better for worse,according to the wedding vows taken,when you got married.I have read on several PD forums how married people got divorced when there is a debilitating illness affecting one party.Some spouses react due to fear of what the future holds.I am really proud that you still work,thanks to your thoughful employer.@Linda ,you suggested counseling,what if dw refuse to go for counseling.What do you do in a situation like that?Probably rely on other family members who are willing to give support and dear friends on this forum.I wish and I pray that,all PWPD on this forum,who are still active,continue to be active till we appear in paradise.And those who are not ,get some relief.Overall,I pray,that cure be discovered in our lifetime.Amen.

Maral -  I don't know what to say other than take care.  Your husband  had a great wife and companion for many years.  He will indeed watch over you I'm sure.  Be well.

🙏🙏🙏 to you Marrai.... my husband is my Rock and is incredibly supportive. Take comfort that you were that for your husband. 

LAD

• Like 1

On 2/3/2018 at 11:22 AM, waruna01 said:

i think its crucial when diagnosed with PD that one takes care of remaining healthy brain cells. exercise is your best friend. drastically cut down or eliminate sugar intake. eat brain healthy foods such as blue berries. take your vit d. Herbs I recommend include thripala, ashwaghanda, Shankhpushpi, brahmi. Take them in moderation while rotating them. These are ancient ayurvedic herbs for healthy brain cells.

This is good advice, but I am a little wary of the herbs.  what does your doctor think of the herbs?  thx!

On 2/3/2018 at 9:32 AM, TexasTom said:

I wish you all the best.

Hi Tom

My wife is ambivalent of my PD.Another case of outer environment we cant control.People don't know the reason who other people lack empathy or any other positive emotion is they don't take the time to practice it.I myself never experienced it much till I made a habit of visiting others at our VA hosptial.

On 2/3/2018 at 9:03 AM, TexasTom said:

Get her to a Doctor! Dementia does not happen overnight, UTI's do!   Yes, Unary Tract Infection can cause the family to think "Mom's got dementia in three days". NO, that is a UTI and need urgent medical attention!

She has had over 10 + UTI tests in the past year. All of which show no UTI. I don;t think dementia happens over night either.