helplinedonate
Inge

nite meds?

Do I need to take Carbodopa/Levodopa during the night?

Will the Parkinsons Meds lose their ability to work eventually

Inge,

In very rare cases will Parkinson patients have to get up at night to take medication. When we sleep our body has very little movement. This means that little Dopamine is used at night to move your muscles. This results in a conservation of Dopamine. While sleeping, napping, or at rest is the only time our remaining dopamine cells can rejuvenate themselves. The short answer is, rarely.

Great question, thanks.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

I take a C/L 50-200 ER.  Had back surgery recently, and wake up often when shifting positions. Helps with the shaking while trying to get back to sleep.

Jeff, 

Thanks for the info.  When someone is in your type os situation,  I usually recommend that they take their PD meds about an hour before pain meds or if they are tired.  That way the PD symptoms will not wake them up. 

Thanks again for your input. 

Hi, 

I am taking carbidopa/levodopa during the night due to tremors. I take it at various times. If I wake up and have tremors, I take a half of a 25/100 tablet. I usually take 2-3 doses during the night. 

I am concerned that the carbidopa/levodopa may interfere with sleep. I sleep for about 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours, then wake up, go to the bathroom, and take carbidopa/levodopa if I have tremors. I sleep for an hour, wake up, have tremors, take a half 25/100 carbidopa/levodopa. Then I can only fall asleep for 20-45 min at a time until 5-6 AM, when I can sleep for an hour or 1 1/2 hours. Between 3-5 AM I might have tremors and take another half carbidopa/levodopa. So I'm only getting 4-5 hours of sleep a night, but it's broken up. 

Thanks, Karl 

Karl,

Sorry for the delay and I understand your concern. You're issue is unique because it begs the question, "If you could sleep would you have the tremors?" It is known that when we sleep, this is the time when our brains, specifically our Dompamine Cells, produce natural Dopamine. The is due to the fact that when we sleep, or rest soundly, we move very little. Dopamine is the main compound that is used when we have any type of muscle movement. When there is little or no muscle movement, our brain will be able to conserve Dopamine so it can be used hen needed.

In your case it appears that the Dopamine levels are falling off during the night requiring you to get up and take Carbidopa/Levodopa. I would suggest taking a Carbidopa/Levodopa before you go to bed. This may keep you from getting up at night to take take it. This may last for a part or the entirety of your sleep, depending on how much you  need. If you need a longer supply of Carbidopa/Levodopa, it may be suggested that you try a low dose Controlled Release Carbidopa/Levodopa (Sinemet CR). This is something you may want to discuss with your Doctor.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted

On 8/2/2018 at 2:53 PM, MComes RPH said:

Karl,

Sorry for the delay and I understand your concern. You're issue is unique because it begs the question, "If you could sleep would you have the tremors?" It is known that when we sleep, this is the time when our brains, specifically our Dompamine Cells, produce natural Dopamine. The is due to the fact that when we sleep, or rest soundly, we move very little. Dopamine is the main compound that is used when we have any type of muscle movement. When there is little or no muscle movement, our brain will be able to conserve Dopamine so it can be used hen needed.

In your case it appears that the Dopamine levels are falling off during the night requiring you to get up and take Carbidopa/Levodopa. I would suggest taking a Carbidopa/Levodopa before you go to bed. This may keep you from getting up at night to take take it. This may last for a part or the entirety of your sleep, depending on how much you  need. If you need a longer supply of Carbidopa/Levodopa, it may be suggested that you try a low dose Controlled Release Carbidopa/Levodopa (Sinemet CR). This is something you may want to discuss with your Doctor.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted

Hi, 

I started using the CR carbidopa/levodopa at night a few days ago. It seems to help. I have also started trazodone, 12.5 MG. It seems to help me sleep. I tried a larger dose of the trazodone,  but it was too sedating. I also started 0.5 MG melatonin for sleep maintenance. Too early to tell on this, have only used it for one night so far. 

PDpatient. 

Karl,

I am glad to hear it is helping. I think that the starting dosages of Trazadone and Melatonin are reasonable. I usually don't like to add or change 2 medications at the same time due to the fact that if there is a problem is it more difficult to narrow down which medication  is at fault. If, for some reason, you do run into an issue with sleep again, you may want to adjust the Sinemet to possibly correct the issue. A small increase in Sinemet will have much less side effects than an increase in Trazadone, as you already know.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.