helplinedonate
NCFred

crossfit for daily exercise?

Been going to YMCA on Saturday mornings for years. I am recently diagnosed with PD and trying to establish a daily exercise regimen. Anyone every tried crossfit for daily exercise motivation?  What do you do to stay motivated?

Thanks, 

Fred

Diagnosed Oct 20 2017. currently on 1.5 tablets 25/100 CL 3 times a day. Stopped taking requip, it gave me weird dreams. Considering rasagilene, generic for azilect? No tremors, slight lean backward on left side.

Edited by NCFred

Crossfit is intense...don't injure yourself. I do a program with a small group of PWP. Our trainer is certified in PWRMOVES. We do everything from boxing to weight training, yoga & dance! It helps to have others who understand your issues plus we have become a support group. 

Good luck!

LAD

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NCFred said:

Lad,

Thanks for your reply. what is PWP and PWRMOVES?

NCFred

PWP-people with Parkinson's- you will see that often on the forum.

www.pwr4life.org is the website for PWRMoves

I also take ballroom dance lessons with my husband-highly recommend it!

LAD

Edited by LAD
  • Like 1

Hey NCFred,

My nephew runs a crossfit gym. It's pretty intense and there seems to be a few injuries from people coming in and trying to keep up with those folks who are already working out at a high level. So just be careful, is my only advice.

-S

• Like 1

My local Y has a lot of classes.  I try to mix it up.  Cycle classes are great because it's easy to get a good workout without hurting yourself.  At the same time, you can choose to hold back and go at your own pace.  If I walk in the door of the cycle class, I'll do a vigorous workout for an hour.  At home, chances are I would quit after 15 minutes.  There are also cardio, zumba, step, and kick boxing classes that to me seem to be good for coordination and using lots of different muscles.  It is super important to prevent injury - you can put yourself out of commission for weeks!  I am not trying to work out to 100% of my ability.  I figure 80% more days a week is better. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 11:44 PM, LAD said:

PWP-people with Parkinson's- you will see that often on the forum.

www.pwr4life.org is the website for PWRMoves

I also take ballroom dance lessons with my husband-highly recommend it!

LAD

Thanks for saring this web site, Ginger LAD.  :-)  Just what I've been looking for, and I plan to start it soon.

Linda

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

Thanks for saring this web site, Ginger LAD.  :-)  Just what I've been looking for, and I plan to start it soon.

Linda

Awesome! Let me know if you need help. I'm going to be in MD Quite a bit over the next few months.  message me....

LAD

• Like 1

Jul, 

Thanks for the YMCA idea. I contacted them last week. They have a cycling program mon. wed. and Fri. at 9 AM. I tried it last wednesday. It wore me out for 2 days but I'll get used to it.

Thanks again, Fred

Hi NCFred - My routine is varied but I try to move for one hour a day minimum - including mat pilates, a bicycle HIIT routine, and 30 min on cross country ski machine 3 x per week, walking (outdoors if possible) for at least 30 minutes daily, free weights lifting 2 x per week. I don't participate regularly (yet) in any PWP classes as I don't find they push me enough but I do like the support aspect. I have found that the nutrition and sleep aspects of my life also hugely impact my symptoms so I follow the biohackers and alt medicine doctors for other ideas. Good luck. LindaG

• Like 1

Hi NCFred,

Key is to keep exercising. HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) is good!   Cross-fit is good! Key, as pointed out, is not to hurt yourself but work up to those levels.

I had blown out my lower lumbar disc. Think squished jelly donut. Found a great neuro/spine surgeon who explained if I felt OK to walk, keep walking! That helps the spine pump fluid and gives room for those "squished donuts" to come back together.   In my case, no sit-ups. I do a modified crunches for ab workouts while the rest of the class is doing sit-ups!

Thankfully our coach is great and has different instructors rotate our workouts, all geared for Parkinson's.  I found starting the day with 10 Sun Salutations (yoga - google is your friend)

gets me moving first thing after I've had my morning espresso.

Working out, core exercises (yes planks and pushups with head-shoulders-butt inline have helped the back issues!

Bob is rocking the Bosu ball. His rear should be lower, but what a way to celebrate your 80th birthday!   Yes that is our class.

• Like 2

Oh, we have four levels of classes. Bob, who was doing the Bosu Ball, is in the "Blue Class"   I got bumped into "Orange Class" and like the chart implies, some days I feel like I'm maxed out on 10. The cardiologist has approved my intense workouts, with a bpm hitting 161! Normally I hit 145 bpm.  The irony is my resting heart rate is now down to 52 with the working out. Hitting the 6 0 this year, so 161 is considered 100% cardio effort. A definite "9" on the chart.

My MDS, PCP, Cardio, Pulmanory, Oncology all have one comment "You look great!"  The exercise is a huge part of my medical treatment!

I have some other odd stuff going on [ Eosinophils off the chart] but love the new doc. Stuck his head into the office, excused himself, came back a few minutes later and apologized but after reading my chart and meeting me thought he had gone into the wrong room!

wuWV8Uh.jpg

Edited by TexasTom
Eosinophils -- spelling
  • Like 3