helplinedonate
Superdecooper

Loss of Smell?

Hey gang,

Another question.. did any of you get your sense of smell back after taking C/L for a while?

I just wondered if that's something I could hope for or not. I posted earlier that my wife was complaining that I never smelled the garbage in the garage - this must have been around 2016 summer. So I put an air freshener in the garage so she wouldn't be able to smell it either..problem solved, not!. She also complained  that I missed the smell of decaying animals when we were driving (why is that a problem!) Also, thinking back I realize that I stopped smelling fresh cut grass in the later summer of 2015 or maybe spring 2016. I remember coming home from work and being surprised the grass was cut and hearing the lawn mower going..I thought at the time that grass must not smell like it used to when i was a kid because of global warming or the lack of rain. Definitely not because of some brain disorder. I always loved fresh cut grass because they reminded me of playing football as a kid and picnics. 

I can still smell bananas and coffee when I'm close to them, so my smell isn't completely gone. But, i was just wondering if your sense of smell comes back?

Smell is gone and just noticing diminished taste - and we eat really spicy food! I miss smelling the coffee in the morning, and a nice wine in the evening.

Nope.  Though I'm thinking my sense of smell issues might be independent of PD.  My dad has a similarly poor sense of smell but hasn't developed any PD symptoms.  My oldest daughter (13) also has a poor sense of smell.  Might just be a family thing unconnected to PD.

Loss of smell often makes it harder to taste food and sometimes people with PD simply eat less or don't enjoy food as much as they did in the past. This can lead to unintended weight loss which can be a very serious problem. Upping the spices can help some and watching for weight loss is really important.

• Thanks 1

One of my first symptoms was loss of smell and it hasn't returned.  Certain things I can still smell a bit but just that I smell something and can't even say what it is.  At first, taste seemed to be unaffected but fading now, five years in.  Unfortunately haven't had any of the weight loss to go with it yet.