helplinedonate
Appala

Tongue Biting After DBS

I posted this originally in the Open Forum but just now realized I should put it here since it involves DBS. I had DBS a couple of years ago. It has all but eliminated my really awful tremor but now I have several bad new symptoms, among them tongue biting. My tongue seems to list toward the right side & I bite it a lot esp. during talking. This makes me slur my words &  is also painful. My right jaw muscles seem to be very tight & sore. I've had several re-programming sessions, but every time I get something improved, something else gets worse! It's all a tradeoff. Has anyone else experienced this tongue biting problem? Many thanks!

I went through many temporary side effects with the initial programming sessions after DBS. A clenched jaw and slurring of words were among them.  My programmer tried to eliminate my tremor, but it always seemed to cause problems elsewhere. We finally gave up on the tremor, which is a minor problem for me. I currently have two programming choices: one for normal conditions. and one for when I'm very active. But if I keep that latter setting on I have side effects  that increasingly worsen. Another problem is the constant changes resulting from advancing PD.

I personally feel there are always better programming/medication options, if you have the patience, money, and a capable programmer. Like you said, "It's all a tradeoff".

Thank  you, Oakman. Programming did eliminate my tremor, almost. No matter how we've tried to re-program since, I have very little tremor but huge problems with gait, balance, speech & language, choking, swallowing, ruined voice, etc. Tradeoffs are hard but my tremor, unlike yours, was very bad & I couldn't live with it. Good luck!