helplinedonate
LAD

Tremor when nervous?

I tremor uncontrollably when I'm nervous or anxious. Any tips on how to make it not so noticeable? It's almost like an uncontrollable physical response to the anxiety.

LAD

Exactly what it is. You don't have to have PD to experience those symptoms. Find a way to avoid what you feel are the most stressful situations as a start. I think counselling  may also be something to look into.

I'm so sorry you experience this.  I do, too.  I think it is unfortunately the way our bodies react now as Parkies.  It's very humbling.  Depending on the situation, I may just mention that I have Parkinson's (if I'm around someone when it happens).  It helps sometimes to just put it out there.

I do usually put it out there that I have PD. Guess I'll just keep going with that plan. 

LAD

The exact same thing happens to me.   Whether it's my husband driving too fast, or an exciting football game that my team is losing, whatever the situation if I'm stressed I shake crazy.   In the next month I am having root canal and a colonoscopy.  Shake, rattle and roll!!!

• Haha 1

It is better not to think about it,because that is when it really gives you more anxiety.So try to be as calm as possible and avoid stressful situations.

• Like 1

Nice to hear I'm not alone but sorry too-it really is a pain when it happens .

Within minutes of talking to a certain person, I would get a violent right hand tremor— I am almost exclusively left side symptomatic otherwise! I used it as a reason for changing a relationship status and taking Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and assertive communication training. The assertive communication was revolutionary! My whole life I had thought I was a firm yet fair person only to find out I’m a pushover!😁. My children were shocked I hadn’t known how passive I was. 

Now I appreciate my nervous tremor because it’s an indicator to take care of my needs and I can say “Ooh, look at that tremor, we’ll have to discuss this later.” 

• Like 1

I find moving around - walking makes it go away faster.  It seems to be the shot of adrenalin for me and as soon as I get the adrenalin out of my system I'm fine.  It's worse when I'm sitting or confined.

Edited by Lorit249
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this topic. I have the same problem. If it continues I get more anxious and then my whole body feels weak and shaky. Then my muscles start to tighten up and I feel like I’m hunched over. By this time I have a full fledged panic attack. Last night I had to have a friend drive me home. 

I seem to have higher anxiety in the evenings. When I’m at home I don’t know whether it’s better to lay down and try breathing exercises or try to keep on walking. 

I am also not good sitting in meetings at night.  This almost always sets me off.  Doing an activity seems to be much better. 

I am not on any meds but I was wondering if when I do start taking them, how much will the meds help stop the tremor.  Forty years ago, when extremely anxious, I would have a steady shake in both hands.  Now, 40 years later and 2 years after being diagnosed, I have a PD tremor (right  arm/wrist/hand) that gets more violent when I get extremely anxious.  Tonight, at my 8 year old grandson's baseball game, the tremor was pretty violent.  I get into the game so it doesn't bother me.  It bothers me most sometimes at work when I get real anxious, I have to type with only my non-tremored left hand.  Lad, I haven't posted in several months, but I remember one of your past posts where you were speaking in front of a group, you wrote that you had a significant tremor.  Since reading that post, I often wonder, do the meds control the tremor?  Evidently no, at least in anxious/anxiety situations.

I am on meds though very few..my tremor in my hand kicks up when stressed or anxious but now I have a mouth tremor very annoying, just wondering if anyone else can relate to this..

Em

Hi Em,

Yes, I can relate.  The mouth tremor is the symptom that landed me in an MDS office and resulted in a diagnosis on my first visit.  The tremor is fine like a shivering.  The triggers are feeling cold and social situations when I am talking with someone and try to make eye contact.  They are worse at the end of a dose of medication.  What are yours like?  Take care, Gardener