helplinedonate
siak

freezing gait

MY question is: Is it possible to be able to walk again if I cannot walk anymore? I have had DBS and I no longer respond to the sinemet. I see the stories about people who decide that they will do the impossible and learn to walk again when they have MS or an injury etc. But is this possible with Parkinson's? My daughter is getting married in the summer and I would like to be able to walk her down the aisle. It requires an enormous amount of thought and energy to walk even across the room in my house. I freeze all the time when I try to walk.  But the most irritating thing is that If anyone is watching me or waiting for me, then I can't walk at all. I am stuck in place. I can't ask everyone at the wedding to look away when I am walking!!:rolleyes:  Is it possible to learn to walk again?  

Great question.  Sometimes with optimization and practice as well as support people can walk down the aisle.  We work on this case by case and we keep safety in mind.  Sometimes people can take a higher dose of Sinemet 1/2 hour before and get a nice response and have someone there to help.  The other trick is to have one person on each side (two family members walking down the aisle).  Hope that helps.  Finally physical therapy and occupational therapy can be a life saver for these situations.

I dont know if you are on amantadine or not but when my daughter got married i increased my amantadine from 2 to 3 1 day before the wedding and it worked!!