helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Superdecooper

Just go through the door already!

hey gang,

Anyone have trouble getting through doors smoothly? It's like I'm walking just fine and I get to a door way and things seem to slow down for a moment and I hesitate. It feels like I cant judge the size of the door frame properly, especially if it's narrow or partly closed, or I'm concerned about hitting the frame with my arm or hand. It's kinda wacky. I just noticed myself doing this over the last two weeks. Feels like I'm walking into a sheet of plastic wrap or something.

looking for answers here?

-S

30 minutes ago, Superdecooper said:

hey gang,

Anyone have trouble getting through doors smoothly? It's like I'm walking just fine and I get to a door way and things seem to slow down for a moment and I hesitate. It feels like I cant judge the size of the door frame properly, especially if it's narrow or partly closed, or I'm concerned about hitting the frame with my arm or hand. It's kinda wacky. I just noticed myself doing this over the last two weeks. Feels like I'm walking into a sheet of plastic wrap or something.

looking for answers here?

-S

Sounds like freezing.... research freezing... it can happen going from different areas or surfaces.

http://parkinsonfoundation.org/blog/dr-howard-weiss-discusses-freezing-gait-parkinson-disease

there are tricks to help 

LAD

Edited by LAD

Thanks LAD,

that article was super helpful. My chiropractor said I should visualize the area beyond the door - which is just what this article recommends also:

"Patients who “freeze” in a particular place, such as a doorway, should try to visualize the area beyond the obstacle. Once the object is passed, freezing generally resolves.
Physiotherapists and other health professionals offer important gait rehabilitation programs to enable people with Parkinson’s disease to improve their movements and safety."

She also said that since I've stopped swimming temporarily because of an ear infection - for about week now -  the lack of exercise has already noticeably changed the density of my muscles (more stiffness) and it may have already had an impact on my brain's usage/level of dopamine - an impact that may include less flexibility and problems with perception of my body in relation to other objects, such as doors, surfaces, etc.

Go back to the gym immediately. Try the elliptical machine, bike, or anything that keeps me moving without heavy impact, she said.

-S 

Glad to help. Check out the website of the program I do ....www.pwr4life.org 

it's easy to modify for fitness level or injury. They also have a pretty good YouTube channel.

Get Back to it any way you can!

LAD